|Athletics » Life Skills|
Mission: To enhance the student-athlete experience and achieve student-athlete success.
Eagle Pride Challenge
The Eagle Pride Challenge is a competition for all the teams presented by the Eagles Council. The Challenge provides an opportunity for student-athletes to accumulate points in various Life Skills categories. These categories focus on developing leadership, teamwork, supporting other athletes, and academic achievement.
Through this annual competition, student-athletes will be able to see a cumulative record of their positive accomplishments through our Eagle Pride Board that will be posted in Alico Arena. It also holds athletes, coaches, and teams accountable for their point total in various categories. A downloadable Point Request Form is available online to document each team’s achievement and must be received within 2 weeks, or no points will be rewarded. Point Request forms are necessary to document Community Service, Athletic Achievement, as well as Blue and Green achievements.
The winning team wins $1,000 to be used towards a team purchase. Second place receives $500 dollars towards a team purchase, and a third place is awarded a team pizza party.
1. Community Service: Each team will earn 100 points for having more than 90% of their team in attendance at their team's mandatory community service project. Teams will be able to accumulate community service points from September 5, 2009 through April 15, 2010. For any other community service individually performed, your team will be awarded points based upon hours per athlete and team size. Point applications must be submitted online within 2 weeks of the accomplishment or no points will be awarded. Listed below are the points awarded based upon team size for every hrs/athlete achieved.
|% of Team Present||Points for Every Hour|
2. Athletic Achievement: Teams will be awarded points based on national, conference, regional, or campus wide recognition, Atlantic Sun, CCSA, or National Finalist. Point applications must be submitted online within 2 weeks of the accomplishment or no points will be awarded. Points will be awarded based on the following criteria:
|150 pts||National Finalist|
|100 pts|| Regional Championship,
|75 pts||NCAA At-Large Bid|
|50 pts||Finish Top 15%|
|25 pts||NCAA Automatic Qualifier|
|*1-12 pts||Conference Finish|
|60 pts||All-American Recognition|
|30 pts||Regional Recognition, Conference Player of the Year|
|15pts||All A-Sun/CCSA First Team Recognition|
|9 pts||A-Sun/CCSA Athlete of the Week|
|3 pts||FGCU Athlete of the Week, All-Tournament Recognition|
*Point allocation depends on the number of teams per sport in the Conference. (Example: If swimming finishes 2nd in the Conference, they will receive 11 out of the 12 points available, because there are 12 teams in the CCSA or men’s soccer will receive 9 points for finishing 2nd because there are 10 teams in the Conference)
Note: In order to receive points there must be a TITLE to the accomplishment. (A-Sun First team, All-American, All-tournament MVP)
3. Blue and Green: Above and beyond recognition in academics, community service, leadership, and athletics. Point applications must be submitted online within 2 weeks of the accomplishment or no points will be awarded. Points will be awarded based on the following criteria:
• National: 100 pts., Regional: 50 pts., Community non-athletic award: 25 pts.
• Athletic Banquet awards:
Male/Female Athlete of the Year: 25 pts.
President’s Award: 25 pts.
Male/Female Scholar Athlete Award: 50 pts.
Spirit Award: 25 pts.
Sportsmanship Award: 25 pts.
Other Department Awards: 25 pts.
4. Academic Achievement: Teams will be ranked 1st -14th according to their GPA at the end of each semester. Points will be awarded as follows: 1st- 50, 2nd- 40, 3rd- 30, 4th 20; every spot after that will decrease by 2 points and the bottom team will receive 1 point. Also, the teams with improvement in their GPA at the end of the fall and spring semesters will be given points as any improvement in GPA deserves recognition. Any team showing improvement in GPA from the previous semester will receive 30 points.
***Adjusted for number of team members: a/b/c
a: 1-10 student-athletes
b: 11-20 student-athletes
c: 21-35 student-athletes
• President’s List: 30/20/10 pts.
• Dean's List: 15/10/5 pts.
5. Athletic Attendance: Based on the highest percentage of team attendance at all FGCU athletic events. At the end of the year, bonus points will be awarded as follows: 1st- 50, 2nd- 40, 3rd- 30, 4th- 20; every spot after that will decrease by 2 points.
Attendance points are awarded as follows:
|% of Team Present||Points Awarded|
|20 or less||5|
|80 or more||25|
• Also, attendance at non-mandatory Life Skills Seminars will account for 10 points per person.