Atlantic Sun Well Represented in Major League Baseball
MACON, Ga. - Eight former Atlantic Sun baseball student-athletes are currently on Major League Baseball rosters and making their impacts for the clubs this season. Stetson and FGCU both have two representatives in the majors to lead the A-Sun.
Three former A-Sun Pitchers of the Year stand on the mound in the major league, while two Freshman of the Year and one Player of the Year are on the big league rosters.
Full List of the Current A-Sun Baseball MLB Players:
• Chris Sale, Chicago White Sox (FGCU) - A left-handed starting pitcher for the American League Central Division leading White Sox, Sale has produced a stellar season with a 14-3 record, 2.60 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 132 strikeouts. The 2010 A-Sun Pitcher of the Year, Sale ranks in the top-four of the American League for win percentage (.824; 2nd), wins (3rd), WHIP (3rd) and ERA (4th) to earn a spot on the AL All-Star Team held in Kansas City in July. The two-time A-Sun All-Conference member has three double-digit strikeout games this season for the White Sox, which included a career-high 15 at Tampa Bay on May 28th. Sale made his debut with Chicago on August 8, 2010 after being named the Louisville Slugger National Player of the Year with the Eagles.
• Daniel Murphy, New York Mets (Jacksonville) - The 2006 Atlantic Sun Player of the Year, Murphy has been a mainstay in the Mets lineup this season with 112 games played, while sporting a .296 batting average. The fourth-year second baseman leads the Mets in games played and at-bats (415), while ranking second on the team in hits (123), runs (45), doubles (33), triples (3) and totals bases (174). A First Team All-Conference member in 2006, Murphy made his major league debut on August 2, 2008 at Houston.
• Chris Johnson, Arizona Diamondbacks (Stetson) - Johnson, the 2005 A-Sun Freshman of the Year, started his career with the Houston Astros before being traded to the Diamondbacks on July 29th this season. Since joining the D-Backs, Johnson has hit five home runs and driven in 18 RBI in only 13 contests. For the season, the two-time A-Sun All-Conference selection is batting .279 with a .451 slugging percentage, 22 2B, 13 HR and 59 RBI. Johnson, the starting third baseman, made his MLB debut for Houston on August 9, 2009.
• Rex Brothers, Colorado Rockies (Lipscomb) - A workhorse for the Rockies bullpen, Brothers has appeared in 53 contests in his second season with the club and tallied a 6-2 record in the process. The 2007 A-Sun Freshman of the Year, Brothers owns a 4.50 ERA, 59 strikeouts and 25 BB in only 44.0 innings pitched. Brothers made his debut with the Rockies on June 6, 2011 and has pitched in 101 games in his short two-year career. With Lipscomb, Brothers earned two A-Sun All-Conference selections and picked up two Pitcher of the Week honors.
• Corey Gearrin, Atlanta Braves (Mercer) - With an outstanding 0.87 ERA, Gearrin - a 2007 First Team A-Sun All-Conference selection - has shined in the Atlanta bullpen in the month of August with eight appearances. The former Bear, Gearrin has allowed only seven hits in August with zero runs in 6.2 innings. Gearrin made his debut for the Braves on April 25, 2011.
• Chad Jenkins, Toronto Blue Jays (Kennesaw State) - In only two professional contests, Jenkins has been fantastic for Toronto with four scoreless innings and only two hits allowed. The 2009 A-Sun Pitcher of the Year started his MLB career on August 7th with three scoreless innings against Tampa Bay before adding another scoreless frame vs. the New York Yankees on August 11th. The four-time A-Sun Pitcher of the Week is holding opposing batters to a .154 batting average and has recorded two strikeouts.
• Corey Kluber, Cleveland Indians (Stetson) - The 2007 A-Sun Pitcher of the Year, Kluber has made three starts for the Indians this season since being called up for a start on August 2nd. The former Hatter has worked 13.2 innings with 11 strikeouts to only four walks and owns a 0-1 record. The three-time A-Sun Pitcher of the Week made his MLB debut last season with the Indians on September 1st.
• Casey Coleman, Chicago Cubs (FGCU) - Coleman, a member of the 2008 A-Sun Regular-Season Champions, has pitched in 17 games for the Cubs this season for a total of 24.1 innings. Coleman has tallied 16 strikeouts for the Cubs this season and made his MLB debut with the club on August 2, 2012 against Milwaukee.
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|