FORT MYERS, Fla. – Helping the FGCU baseball team to its third victory over a nationally-ranked opponent last week at No. 6 Miami, freshman Zack Tillery (Naples, Fla./Barron Collier HS) was selected as one of College Baseball 360’s Primetime Performers for the week of April 9-15, announced by the media outlet on Tuesday afternoon.
Behind a two-hit gem through seven innings from freshman Tillery in his first collegiate start, the Eagles earned their second-straight victory over a ranked foe with a 4-2 win at No. 6 Miami last Wednesday.
Taking the mound for the first time as a starter after 7.1 innings of relief work through the first 33 games, Tillery gave up his lone run and hits (2) over his seven innings in the top of the first. The Naples, Fla. product then buckled down, tossing six consecutive shutout innings that saw him retire 18 of 19 batters he faced over that span en route to his first career victory.
The win over the Canes marked the second over a Top 10 opponent in a week span, as the Eagles took down then-No. 2 Florida State, 5-1, in Tallahassee, Fla. on April 4. Additionally, the triumph over the Canes was the second over a ranked opponent in as many days, as the Eagles earned a walk-off win over No. 28 FAU, 6-5, last Tuesday at Swanson Stadium.
For the season, Tillery (1-0) now owns a 1.88 ERA through five appearances, recording a pair of strikeouts and one walk while holding opponents to a .220 average at the plate.
A two-way player for the Green and Blue, Tillery is a regular at third base when not on the mound. This season at the dish, the first-year player is hitting .218 with 11 RBI and 11 runs scored, and has also recorded his first career home run.
Primetime Performer Award Criteria (not based solely on raw stats, but rather …)
• Must have been playing for or against a CB360 top-50 team (in the Composite National Rankings or performed a high level in games that could be key to a team’s conference/NCAA postseason qualification; made significant contribution to team’s success and potential postseason positioning (single-game wins, “quality” wins, series wins, road wins, etc.).
• Involved in clutch performances, such as late game-winning hits, noteworthy comebacks, game-changing plays, team leadership, key defensive efforts, etc.
• Performed at a top level against a team rated highly nationally (or within its conference), with bonus consideration given for key performances away from home field and vs. traditional rivals.
• Overcame adversity or extreme circumstances (for the team and/or individual).
• Any accomplishment that is rare, historic, record-setting, etc., on a national level.
CB360 Primetime Performers Weekly Honorees
Florida – Brian Johnson
Florida Gulf Coast – Zack Tillery
Francis Marion – Stephen Tarkenton
Georgia –Michael Palazzone
North Carolina State – *Trea Turner
Oklahoma – Damien Magnifico
Oklahoma State – Andrew Heaney
Oregon – *Alex Keudell
Seton Hall – Sal Annunziata
Southeastern Louisiana – Andro Cutura
Southern Mississippi – Andrew Pierce
UC Irvine – Andrew Thurman
UCLA – Beau Amaral
Virginia Tech – Andrew Aizenstadt
* Turner is the CB360 week-9 Primetime Player of the Week while Keudell is the Primetime Pitcher of the Week
The Eagles (15-22, 6-9 A-Sun) return to the field as they travel to Albuquerque, N.M. to begin a three-game non-conference series with New Mexico (17-18, 7-2 Mountain West) on Friday, April 20 at 2 p.m. Live stats, in-game Twitter updates (@FGCUBaseball), results and recaps will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com.