|Facilities » Alico Arena|
Alico Arena, located in beautiful Fort Myers, Fla., is a 120,000 square-foot complex and serves as the centerpiece of Florida Gulf Coast University's NCAA Division I athletics program. Opened in the fall of 2002, Alico Arena also serves as the home of the Campus Fitness and Recreation and Intramurals, as well as the Human Performance and Athletic Training programs in the College of Health Sciences. It is also home to the FGCU volleyball and basketball programs. A naming rights gift by Alico Incorporated significantly enhanced the facility.
Alico Arena has 4,500 seats in an oval configuration and a permanent hardwood floor. It includes four full-sized basketball courts and six suites. In addition to the arena, the facility includes offices for the Athletics Department and arena staff, as well as, 12 locker rooms, and a hospitality room.
In addition to recreation and athletic functions, Alico Arena is designed to host music and entertainment events - concerts, speakers, road shows, trade shows and corporate events. Since its opening, Alico Arena has hosted several special events. The facility has hosted the Hillmyer-Tremont Classic, the National Independent Basketball tournament, the 2007 NCAA South Regional and the first round of both the 2008 and 2009 WNIT, as well as, the opening round of the 2010 preseason WNIT. In addition, each summer, basketball and volleyball camps are also held in this state of the art building.
The arena has also been the site of several concerts, including Dierks Bentley and the Beach Boys. Alico Arena has also hosted events for U.S. Vice Presidents Joe Biden and Dick Cheney, former Russian President Mikhail Gorbachev, retired General Colin Powell, and acclaimed poet and author Maya Angelou.
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33965-6565
Alico Arena Quick Facts
- Opened in December 2002
- Cost to $16 million to build
- 4,250 fixed seats (includes sky boxes)
- 250 SRO’s (standing room only)
- 4,500 capacity (can be decreased dependant upon event demands or facility configuration)
- Approximately 20,000 sq. ft. main gym with 6 folding hoops, 3 practice courts, 2 portable goals and 1 main court
- 3 volleyball courts and 1 main volleyball court
- 4 retractable bleachers
- Approximately 8,000 sq. ft. auxiliary gym with 2 folding hoops and 1 court
- 1 volleyball court
- Hospitality suite that accommodates up to 80 banquet style and 100 audience style
- Six (6) sky boxes complete with refrigerators, cable televisions and service counters
- Two (2) ticket offices
- Six (6) ticket windows (3 for each ticket office)
- Two (2) concession stands
- Fitness center complete with free weights, cardio, power lifting room and aerobics room
- Wireless internet