Men's Basketball Looks to Cap Successful Road Trip at ETSU
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||ETSU|
|FG Percentage||.441 (26-59)||.519 (27-52)|
|3P FG Percentage||.424 (14-33)||.500 (9-18)|
|FT Percentage||.750 (9-12)||.880 (22-25)|
WILSON - 5
WALTON - 5
BROWN - 1
GRAF - 1
THOMPSON - 1
FIELER - 1
FGCU (12-6, 4-1 A-Sun) at ETSU (3-13, 1-2 A-Sun)
Date: Saturday, January 12, 2013
Time: 4:00 P.M. EST
City: Johnson City, Tenn.
Site: MSHA Athletic Center (6,500)
Live Video (Free): A-Sun TV
Live Audio: ETSUBUCS.com
Live Stats: ETSUBUCS.com
Twitter Hashtags: #FGCU/#ASUNMBB
Current Streak: W3
Last 5: 4-1
Last 10: 7-3
On The Road (A-Sun): 3-6 (2-1)
Vs. ETSU/Road/Streak: 2-7/0-4/L1
Last Meeting: ETSU 84, FGCU 71 - February 25, 2012 - Johnson City, Tenn.
AT A GLANCE
Currently in first place in the A-Sun standings by a half-game, FGCU takes a three-game win streak to ETSU for its sixth conference game in 13 days on Saturday afternoon. Off to program-best 4-1 start to A-Sun action, the Eagles will be in search of their first-ever four-game win streak in conference play and first win (0-4) in Johnson City, Tenn. FGCU is coming off a 72-71 overtime victory at USC Upstate on Thursday night in which the Green and Blue ended the Spartans’ 12-game home win streak.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 27-23 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 12-11 (2nd Season)\
Vs. ETSU: 1-1
Head Coach: Murray Bartow (UAB ‘85)
Record at ETSU: 182-126 (10th Season)
Career Record: 285-209 (16th Season)
A-Sun Record: 93-55 (8th Season)
Vs. FGCU: 7-2
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• Second in the A-Sun & 24th nationally in assists per game (6.0).
• Team leader in assists in 17 of 18 games and 46 of 50 for career.
• Fourth in the A-Sun in steals (1.7); 11 steals last three games.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• 4th in the nation in total steals (51) and 9th in steals per (2.9).
• Ranks 7th in the A-Sun in scoring (14.7).
• All four 20-point games this season have come on the road.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Ranks 9th in the A-Sun in scoring (14.0) and 12th in rebounding (5.4).
• Has reached double figures in 15 straight road games.
• FGCU is 6-1 when he leads the team in scoring.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 35 dunks out of 76 made field goals.
• Scored double-digits in 11 of the last 14 games - 12.5 ppg & 5.3 rpg.
• Has led team in scoring six times after just twice first two seasons.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• A-Sun leader in total blocks (26) and second per game (1.4).
• Second on the team in rebounding (5.4), good for 14th in the A-Sun.
• Coming off back-to-back 12-point games.
FGCU FAST BREAK FACTS
• A-Sun leader with 12 wins and in first place by a half game; includes a program D-1 record eight non-conference victories.
• Off to its best start in A-Sun play since joining the league in 2007
• A-Sun leader in scoring (71.6) and steals (9.5).
• In the top 100 of the RPI, according to nine media outlets.
• Receiving votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll the last six weeks.
FGCU put an end to a five-game losing streak against ETSU last season when it won on its home court, but lost in the regular season finale for both squads to slip to 0-4 in Johnson City. The Bucs lead the all-time series 7-2. Senior SHERWOOD BROWN averaged 16.0 points in last year’s series, adding five three-pointers and five steals.
FGCU IN DEC. 11TH BRACKETOLOGY
FGCU was predicted as the No. 13 seed in the East Region of the NCAA Tournament by ESPN.com’s Joe Lunardi in his Dec. 11th Bracketology. Lunardi has FGCU squaring off against No. 4 seed Gonzaga in San Jose, Calif. On Dec. 27, the Eagles were also predicted to represent the A-Sun in Jerry Palm of CBS Sports in his Bracketology. Palm has FGCU as the No. 15 seed in the East Region.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (12-6) lead the state in victories, sitting one win ahead of No. 11/9 Florida (11-2), Miami (11-3) and UCF (11-4).
(Records through Jan. 10)
Florida State: 10-5
Seven schools: Eight wins or fewer
MAKE MOVES IN THE MID-MAJOR POLL
Currently in the top 100 of the RPI according to nine different media outlets, FGCU has received votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll six straight weeks. The Eagles are the only A-Sun team currently getting votes.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the fifth-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 28.7 points, 10.2 rebounds and 4.3 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Thompson is seventh at 14.7 points per game while Brown is ninth at an even 14.0 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 14 times
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 11 of the 18 games and have been the top two scorers on seven occasions.
• Combine to average 33.8 points on the road
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Cummings/Love (Kennesaw St.) - 30.6 ppg
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 30.4 pgg
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 30.2 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 29.2 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 28.7 ppg
The second-highest scoring tandem in the A-Sun, senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON take their game up to another level on the road.
• Account for 47.6 percent (304 of 638) of the team’s scoring on the road, leading the team in points in seven of nine contests.
• Both players have reached double figures in all nine road games, while five of their six combined 20-point games are on the road.
• Combining for 33.8 points per game away from home and shooting 50 percent (111-221) from the floor.
• Scoring 19.3 points in the second half, highlighted by seven double figure efforts (Thompson-4, Brown-3) in the final 20 minutes.
• Brown has reached double figures in 15 straight road games dating back to 2011-12.
• Thompson’s top five scoring performances have been on the road this season.
FGCU leads the A-Sun in three statistical categories: scoring offense (71.6), steals (9.5) and three-point percentage defense (.294). Individually, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON is tops in steals (2.9) and ERIC MCKNIGHT leads the way in total blocks (26).
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON registered 57 steals as a freshman in 2011-12 - good for third in the A-Sun and fifth-best in program single-season history - and is on pace to shatter that total and the program record this season.
• Tied for fourth in the nation in total steals with 51.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks ninth in the nation in steals per game (2.9)
• Had a career-high of five steals at No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD.
• Current streak of 18 games with a steal, including four or more six times.
• Has a steal in 46 of 50 career games, including 34 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in his 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 51 steals have led directly to 62 FGCU points (3.4 per game), including 23 of his own.
Over the last 14 games, junior CHASE FIELER has been FGCU’s top rebounder (5.3) and third-leading scorer at 12.5 points.
• Team leader with 35 dunks out 76 made field goals.
• Reached double figures in 11 of the last 14 games, including a current career long four-game stretch.
• Has led the team in scoring six times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Scored a career-high 18 points, including 15 in the second half, at Iowa State and had 18 points in the win over FIU.
• Third on the team in scoring (10.9) and third in rebounding (4.9) - figures that rank 18th and 17th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Second in the A-Sun and is 24th in the nation in assists per game (6.0).
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with multiple games of 10 or more assists.
• Ranks fourth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.6).
• Third all-time in FGCU history with 287 assists.
• Fourth in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.7).
• Scored in double figures six times.
• Has an assist on 34 of the team’s 78 dunks.
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ratio in eight of the last nine contests.
WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU
One of two players to rank in the A-Sun’s top 10 in scoring and rebounding in 2011-12, this season senior SHERWOOD BROWN has twice been named the A-Sun Player of the Week by College Sports Madness an once by the league office. He was also named the MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Ninth in the A-Sun in scoring at 14.0 points per game, led by a pair of 20-point nights and 15 double figure outings.
• Ranks 12th in rebounding (5.4), eighth in steals (1.5), seventh in defensive rebounds (4.0) and seventh in minutes (31.9).
• Averaging 16.1 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 15 straight true road games.
• FGCU is 6-1 when Brown leads in scoring.
• Team leader with 30 three-pointers, knocking down 27 of his last 64 from beyond the arc.
• Had the team’s lone double-double of the year at USC Upstate with 14 points and 11 rebounds.
Breakdown of FGCU’s individual dunk leaders ... the Eagles have 78 dunks.
35 - Chase Fieler
19 - Eric McKnight
8 - Eddie Murray
7 - Sherwood Brown
5 - Leonard Livingston
4 - Bernard Thompson
FGCU is armed with a long and athletic lineup that has been aggressive at the rim and in the paint this season. The Eagles are averaging 35.1 points in the paint, including 78 dunks.
• FGCU has reached the 40-point plateau in points in the paint in six games (5-1).
• Points in the paint (630) account for 49.0% of team’s scoring.
• Game-by-game points in the paint on page 12.
Record When ...
Less than 30 Points: 1-2
30-39 Points: 6-3
40-49 Points: 4-1
50+ Points: 1-0
|Copyright ©2013 Florida Gulf Coast Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|