#FGCU Takes Five-Game Win Streak Into ESPN3 Showdown with USC Upstate
|Florida Gulf Coast||31||43||74|
|Stats at a Glance||UPST||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.365 (19-52)||.438 (28-64)|
|3P FG Percentage||.250 (4-16)||.333 (6-18)|
|FT Percentage||.538 (7-13)||.750 (12-16)|
GLENN - 1
RODGERS - 1
CVJETICANIN - 1
LIVINGSTON - 1
USC Upstate (13-12, 7-5 A-Sun) at FGCU (17-8, 9-3 A-Sun)
Date: Saturday, February 9, 2013
Time: 5:17 P.M. EST
City: Fort Myers, Fla.
Site: Alico Arena (4,500)
TALENT: Matt Stewart (P-B-P) & Sonny Smith (Analyst)
Live Stats: www.FGCUATHLETICS.com
Twitter: @FGCU_MBB | @Matt_StewartCSS | @UPSTMBB
Hashtags: #UPSTvsFGCU | #ASUNMBB | #WeAreFGCU
Current Streak: W5
Last 5: 5-0
Last 10: 8-2
At Home (A-Sun): 12-1 (5-1)
Vs. USC Upstate/Home/Streak: 7-4/3-2/W2
Last Meeting: FGCU 72, USC Upstate 71 – OT - January 10, 2013 - Spartanburg, S.C.
AT A GLANCE
Riding a program Division I record five-game win streak, FGCU will look to look to continue its winning ways on Saturday when it welcomes in USC Upstate for a 5:17 p.m. showdown on ESPN3. Matt Stewart (P-B-P) and Sonny Smith (Analyst) will have the call from Alico Arena, as the first place Eagles (9-3) look for the season sweep of the Spartans (7-5). FGCU is 12-1 at Alico Arena this season, as it clinched an A-Sun Tournament berth on Thursday with its 67-43 victory over ETSU that set a new program record for conference wins in a season.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 32-25 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 17-13 (2nd Season)
Head Coach: Eddie Payne (Wake Forest ‘73)
Record at USC Upstate: 154-171 (11th Season)
Career Record: 414-404 (28th Season)
A-Sun Record: 43-44 (6th Season)
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• Passed out a career-high 12 assists last game vs. ETSU.
• Second in the A-Sun & 15th nationally in assists per game (6.3).
• A-Sun active leader with eight double figure assist games.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• Fourth nationally in total steals (67) & 10th in steals per (2.68).
• Ranks 10th in the A-Sun in scoring (13.6).
• All four 20-point games this season have come on the road.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Averaging 21.2 points during five-game win streak.
• First player in FGCU history with 1000 points and 500 rebounds.
• Team leader with six 20-point games.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 41 dunks out of 114 made field goals.
• Averaging career-bests of 11.9 points and 5.3 rebounds.
• FGCU’s all-time leader in blocks (85).
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• Second in the A-Sun in total blocks (35) and second per (1.4).
• Reached double figures in eight games.
• Second on the team with 27 dunks.
FGCU FAST BREAK FACTS
• Currently in sole possession of first place in the A-Sun (9-3).
• Clinched an A-Sun Tournament berth with its win over ETSU.
• A-Sun leader with 17 wins; a program D1 record.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (73.9), scoring margin (+5.9), field goal percentage (.467), steals (9.0), blocks (3.9) and three-point def. (.310).
• Riding a program D1-best five-game win streak in which its out-scored its opponents by 18.2 points per night.
• Haven’t trialed in nine games on the year, including three of the last five.
• Have trailed for a total of 4:31 over 200 minutes of game action during five-game win streak.
• Scored 70+ points in 10 of the last 11 games.
• At least three players have scored double figures in 20 straight games, including five on four occasions.
• A perfect 8-0 when holding opponents under 60 points and 8-0 when shooting 50 percent or better.
• As a team, FGCU has 101 dunks on the season.
• 12-1 at Alico Arena this season; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
• Tabbed as the No. 16 seed in the West Region in ESPN’S Bracketology released on Friday.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (17-8) trail only No. 2 Florida (18-3) and No. 8Miami (18-3) for the most wins. FGCU is 7-0 against Division I teams from Florida, including one of Miami’s three losses.
(Records through Feb. 7)
Florida State: 13-9
Eight schools: 12 wins or fewer
FGCU’s five-game win streak is its longest ever since joining the Division I ranks in 2007-08. Over the five-game win streak, FGCU is averaging 81.2 points, out-scoring its opponents by 18.2 points and shooting 50.3 percent. Out of 200 minutes of game action, the Eagles have trailed for just 4:31, leading from start to finish in three of the contests, and haven’t been down by more than one possession (3 points) in any of the games. Four players are averaging double figures, led by senior SHERWOOD BROWN’S 21.2 ppg followed by three players at 12.2 ppg or better.
SCOUTING USC UPSTATE
One of three teams in third place in the A-Sun standings at 7-5, USC Upstate enters on a two-game losing streak. The Spartans started their road trip with a 73-66 loss at Stetson on Thursday, their fifth loss by eight points or less in conference play. FGCU and USC Upstate are both in the top three in the A-Sun in 10 different statistical categories, highlighted by being the top two scoring teams in the conference. Both teams are represented by a player in the top five in the league in scoring, as Torrey Craig sits third at 16.8 points per game. Craig has reached double figures in 24 of 25 games with six 20-point outings. Sophomore Ty Greene hit three trifectas in the final four minutes of regulation in the Jan. 10th meeting, as the reigning A-Sun Freshman of the Year averages 12.6 points. Junior Ricardo Glenn has five double-doubles to help him rank second in the A-Sun in rebounding (8.2).
ALL-TIME AGAINST USC UPSTATE
Since both teams entered the A-Sun in 2007-08, FGCU holds a 7-4 edge in the all-time series against USC Upstate. In the season’s first meeting in Spartanburg, junior CHASE FIELER’S layup with 1.5 seconds left in overtime gave the Eagles a 72-71 victory and ended USC Upstate’s 12-game home win streak. Last season, the Spartans swept the regular season series en route to a 13-5 A-Sun record, but the Eagles were able to get revenge in the postseason with a 10-point win in the quarterfinals that kick-started their run to the championship game.
MAKING HIS CASE
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN is putting together league MVP-type numbers while helping FGCU snag a piece of first place.
• Averaging 21.2 points and 7.6 rebounds during win streak.
• One of three players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.8/5th) and rebounding (6.2/7th).
• First player in program history and third current A-Sun player to reach 1,000 points and 500 rebounds.
• Reached double figures in a team-best 22 contests, including six 20-point outings.
• First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles.
• Had a streak of three straight 20-point games.
• Averaging 16.8 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 18 straight true road games.
• FGCU is 9-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• Team leader with 55 three-pointers, knocking down 52 of his last 114 from beyond the arc.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor twice.
• Three-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF
Thanks to his last two seasons under head coach ANDY ENFIELD, senior SHERWOOD BROWN became the first player in program history to accumulate 1,000 points and 500 rebounds on Thursday night. There are three other active players in the A-Sun who have accomplished the feat: Torrey Craig (USC Upstate), Markeith Cummings (Kennesaw State) and Andy Diaz (UNF). He is currently third all-time in points and second in rebounds, sitting 67 short of Adam Liddell’s record of 570.
FGCU is 12-1 at Alico Arena this season and 21-6 all-time at home under second-year head coach ANDY ENFIELD.
• Nine-game home win streak to start the year was the longest in the program’s Division I history.
• Out-scoring opponents by 14.3 points per game
• Forcing 16.8 turnovers per game, leading to 10.0 steals.
• Dominating inside, out-scoring opponents 502-276 in the paint, good for a 17.4 per game difference.
• Shooting 48.2 percent while limiting opponents to 36.3 percent.
• Defeated current ACC leader Miami in the home opener, limiting the Canes to just 29 percent (16-55) shooting.
• Led at the half in 12 of 13 games.
TWICE IS NICE
On the strength of a pair of double-doubles that were highlighted by a career-high 29 points in 29 minutes during a win over Northern Kentucky, senior SHERWOOD BROWN picked up his second A-Sun Player of the Week award from the league office on Jan. 28. Brown is the only player this season to earn A-Sun Player of the Week honors twice.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN became the first player in program’s 11-year history to post four consecutive double-doubles from Jan. 10-19. Playing four A-Sun games at USC Upstate, at ETSU, vs. Lipscomb and vs. Northern Kentucky, Brown averaged 20.0 points and 10.5 rebounds over that span.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the fourth-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 29.4 points, 10.6 rebounds and 4.2 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Brown is fifth at 15.8 points per game, while Thompson is 10th at 13.6 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 17 times.
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 16 of the 25 games and have been the top two scorers seven times
• Combine to average 33.3 points on the road.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Jones/Wilson (ETSU) - 31.8 ppg
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 31.7 pgg
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 31.4 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 29.7 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 29.4 ppg
Highlighted by a career-high six steals against Stetson, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has already surpassed his total from last year, while his 2.68 thefts per game are on pace to break the program single-season record of 78.
• Fifth in the nation in total steals with 67.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks 10th in the nation in steals per game (2.68).
• Career-high six steals vs. Stetson bested his five at then-No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD this season.
• Has four or more steals eight times this year.
• Has a steal in 52 of 57 career games, including 38 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in his 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 67 steals have led directly to 86 FGCU points (3.4 per game), including 33 of his own.
DOWNTOWN SHERWOOD BROWN
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN is 25-for-50 from long range over the last seven games in which he’s averaging 20.4 points and 8.4 rebounds. Brown has hit a three in 14 straight games, including five twice, moving up to seventh in the A-Sun in threes per game (2.2) and second in percentage (.414). He ranks fourth all-time in FGCU history with 139 makes.
Seven different players registered a block in FGCU’s 67-43 win over ETSU, helping the club set a program record with 13 blocks. The 13 blocks vaulted FGCU into the A-Sun lead (3.9), as it also leads the league in steals (9.0). Sophomore ERIC MCKNIGHT and junior CHASE FIELER rank second and fourth, respectively, in the A-Sun while their combined 67 blocks are more than five A-Sun teams.
THE GREAT CHASE
Forward CHASE FIELER has elevated his game in each of his three seasons and is having a breakout junior campaign. Fieler is posting career-high numbers across the board, ranking in the top three on the squad in scoring, rebounding and blocks.
• Team leader with 41 dunks out 114 made field goals.
• Has led the team in scoring eight times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (11.9) and second in rebounding (5.3) - figures that rank 16th and 17th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Reached double figures 18 times after doing so just 15 times during his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
• Scored in double figures in 10 of the last 11.
• Fourth in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.3 per game.
• Team leader with 54 offensive rebounds.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
• Turned in the No. 3 highlight on the Jan. 25th Sports Center Top 10 Plays with a put-back dunk against Stetson.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Matched a career-high with 12 assists against ETSU.
• Second in the A-Sun and 15th in the nation in assists (6.3).
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with at least four games of 10 or more assists.
• Ranks fifth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.7).
• Third all-time in FGCU history with 336 assists.
• Third in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.7).
• Scored in double figures 10 times.
• Has an assist on 40 of the team’s 101 dunks.
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ratio in 14 of the last 16 contests.
Against Lipscomb, senior SHERWOOD BROWN and junior CHASE FIELER became just the third FGCU tandem in the program’s D-1 history to record a double-double in the same game. Brown’s third straight double-double featured 20 points and 10 rebounds, while Fieler had career-bests of 20 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks.
FGCU leads the A-Sun in five statistical categories: scoring offense (73.9), scoring margin (+5.9), field goal percentage (.467), three-point defense (.310), steals (9.0) and blocks (3.9).
A CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major All-American a year ago, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has a quartet of 20-point games on the road this season and was named the A-Sun Player of the Week on November 20.
• Fourth in the nation with 67 steals.
• 10th in the A-Sun in scoring (13.6).
• Has led the team in scoring five times and rebounding in six games.
• Has four 20-point road games.
• Second on the team lead with 19 double figure outings.
• Averaging 16.8 points per game in 12 road games with 24 points at No. 9 Duke, 21 points at VCU, 21 points at Samford and 20 points at St. John’s.
• Scored double figures in the second half five times, including 15 points at No. 9 Duke, and three times in the first half.
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|