#SherCan; Brown’s Historic Run to #ASunMBB MVP and Super Hero Status
DUNK CITY, Fla. – FGCU will celebrate the historic 2012-13 men’s basketball season on Monday, April 15th when it hosts its postseason banquet at Alico Arena. During the 10 days leading up to the banquet, FGCUATHLETICS.com will highlight 10 accomplishments and moments of the Green and Blue’s record-setting campaign that let the nation in on the best kept secret in college athletics and created #DunkCity.
Monday’s breakdown is of senior Sherwood Brown’s (Orlando, Fla./Olympia HS) historic final season in which he posted arguably the best statistical campaign in program history while using his dynamic personality to capture the nation.
WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU
Brown put together one of the most impressive single seasons in program history, earning A-Sun Player of the Year honors and a spot on the All-Conference first team as one of two unanimous selections.
• Associated Press All-American honorable mention.
• A-Sun MVP and All-Conference first team unanimous choice.
• NABC All-District 3 team selection.
• A-Sun All-Tournament team selection for the second straight year … averaged team-highs of 16.0 points and 8.3 rebounds.
• One of three players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.5/7th) and rebounding (6.5/8th).
• Reached double figures in a team-best 32 contests, including eight 20-point outings.
• FGCU was 14-4 when he led the team in scoring.
• Led the team in scoring in 18 games, rebounding on 16 occasions, including both in the same game eight times.
• First player in program history and fourth current A-Sun player to reach 1,000 points and 500 rebounds.
• All-time program leader with 589 rebounds.
• First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles and has a team-best five on the year.
• Averaged 16.1 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 21 of last 22 true road games.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor more than once – did so three times.
• Four-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
THE FACE OF DUNK CITY
Although he didn’t lead the team in dunks or provide any of the high-flying highlights during FGCU’s NCAA Tournament run, Brown’s free spirit and “run through a wall” playing style made him one of the icons of this year’s NCAA Tournament. Oh, the stats were still there, as the 6-foot-4 wing averaged team-bests of 18.3 points and 7.7 rebounds, but it was his ability to capture the moment that helped him and FGCU burst onto the national scene. In the Eagles’ second round win over No. 2 Georgetown, Brown worked his way over to the TV table with just under 10 seconds to play, shaking hands with TBS’ Reggie Miller, Kevin Harlan and Len Elmore … meet Sherwood Brown, the face of Dunk City.
• Brown was named one of the “10 Players You’ll Remember from the NCAA Tournament” by Bleacher Report … he checked in at No. 3.
IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF
Thanks to his last two seasons under head coach Andy Enfield, Brown became the first player in program history to accumulate 1,000 points and 500 rebounds. There are three other active players in the A-Sun who have accomplished the feat: Torrey Craig (USC Upstate), Markeith Cummings (Kennesaw State) and Andy Diaz (UNF). Brown finished second all-time in points and against Georgetown became the all-time leading rebounder. Below is a comparison of Brown’s first two seasons to his last two.
Brown also became the first player in program’s 11-year history to post four consecutive double-doubles from Jan. 10-19. Playing four A-Sun games at USC Upstate, at ETSU, vs. Lipscomb and vs. Northern Kentucky, Brown averaged 20.0 points and 10.5 rebounds over that span. He has five of the team’s seven double-doubles on the year, ranking tied for fourth in the A-Sun.
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|