|Men's Basketball » News||» News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics » Archive|
@FGCU_MBB Set to Host First Place Stetson in A-Sun/CSS Friday Night Game of the Week
|Florida Gulf Coast||48||48||96|
|Stats at a Glance||STET||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.407 (24-59)||.587 (37-63)|
|3P FG Percentage||.208 (5-24)||.350 (7-20)|
|FT Percentage||.706 (12-17)||.600 (15-25)|
GRAF - 6
Stetson (9-10, 6-2 A-Sun) vs. FGCU (13-8, 5-3 A-Sun)
Date: Friday, January 25, 2013
Time: 7:05 P.M. EST
City: Fort Myers, Fla.
Site: Alico Arena (4,500)
TV: Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS), Cox Sports TV (CST), ESPN3.com, ESPN Full Court & A-Sun TV
Talent: Matt Steward (G-B-G) & Sonny Smith (Analyst)
Live Stats: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Twitter: @FGCU_MBB & @StetsonMBB
Current Streak: W1
Last 5: 3-2
Last 10: 6-4
At Home (A-Sun): 10-1 (3-1)
Vs. Stetson/Streak: Tied, 5-5/L1
Last Meeting: Stetson 86, FGCU 80 - Feb. 17, 2012
AT A GLANCE
Sitting one game out of first place in the Atlantic Sun standings, FGCU (13-8, 5-3) will take on conference leader Stetson (9-10, 6-2) in the A-Sun/CSS Friday Night Game of the Week. Matt Stewart (P-B-P) and Sonny Smith (Analyst) will have the call from Alico Arena where FGCU is 10-1 on the year. The game will be televised by Comcast Sports South and also aired on Cox Sports TV (CST), and picked up ESPN3.com and ESPN Full Court outside the CSS footprint. The meeting marks the midway point of the A-Sun schedule.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 28-25 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 13-13 (2nd Season)
Head Coach: Casey Alexander (Belmont ‘95)
Record at Stetson: 18-30 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 12-14 (2nd Season)
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• Second in the A-Sun & 18th nationally in assists per game (6.1).
• Team leader in assists in 20 of 21 games and 49 of 53 for career.
• Fourth in the A-Sun in steals (1.7).
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• Sixth nationally in total steals (54) & 12th in steals per (2.6).
• Ranks 10th in the A-Sun in scoring (13.7).
• All four 20-point games this season have come on the road.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Named A-Sun Player of the Week on Tuesday.
• Double-double last four contests; 1st time in program history.
• 15 points shy of become 3rd FGCU player to reach 1,000 points.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 38 dunks out of 91 made field goals.
• Double figures in 14 of last 17 games; career-long seven straight.
• Led team in scoring seven times after just twice first two seasons.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• A-Sun leader in total blocks (28) and third per game (1.3).
• Reached double figures in six games.
• Second on the team with 23 dunks.
FGCU FAST BREAK FACTS
• A-Sun leader with 13 wins; includes a program D-1 record eight non-conference victories.
• 10-1 at Alico Arena this season; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (72.1) and steals (9.0).
• Scored 70+ points in six straight games and 10 of the last 11.
• 34 three-pointers in the last three games; best three-game stretch of the season.
• A perfect 7-0 when holding opponents under 60 points and 6-0 when shooting 50 percent or better.
• As a team, FGCU has 89 dunks on the season.
• Two wins shy of equaling the program D-1 record set in 2011-12.
ALL-TIME AGAINST STETSON
FGCU’s four-game win streak against Stetson was snapped late last season when the Hatters evened the all-time series at 5-5 with an 86-80 victory on Feb. 17 at Alico Arena. The road team has won three of the last four meetings, while nine of the 10 games between the two clubs have been decided by 10 points or less. At Alico Arena, FGCU is 3-2 all-time against Stetson. Now-sophomore BRETT COMER averaged 17.5 points, 8.5 assists and 5.5 rebounds in the two meetings last year, while Stetson’s Adam Pegg posted averages of 23.5 points and 7.5 rebounds.
Stetson’s 6-2 start to A-Sun action is its best since the 1998-99 season as it enters on a five-game win streak. Included in its current five-game win streak are three consecutive road wins, Stetson’s longest road streak since 2005-06. Under the guidance of second-year head coach Casey Alexander, who was previously the associate head coach at Belmont, the Hatters sit in first place in the A-Sun standings, but were picked to finish sixth in the preseason poll by the coaches and media. Led by a balanced attack of four players averaging double figures, Stetson is second in the A-Sun behind FGCU in scoring (71.2), but leads the league with a .467 field goal percentage that is boosted up to .490 in the eight conference contests.
Senior Adam Pegg and junior Chris Perez form the second-best scoring duo in the A-Sun at 30.6 points per night, but have bumped that figure up to 33.7 per game in A-Sun action. Pegg has finished in double figures in 17 of 18 games played, including 14 in a row, to rank fourth in the A-Sun in scoring (15.9). Perez is fresh off his fifth 20-point game of the season against Lipscomb and eighth in the A-Sun at 14.7 points per game. Junior Aaron Graham provides instant offense off the bench, nearly giving Stetson three players in the top 10 in the A-Sun in scoring. Despite starting just two games, Graham averages 13.1 points to rank 11th in the league, reaching double figures off the pine 11 times.
HOLD ON TIGHT
Friday night’s game showcases the top two scoring teams in the Atlantic Sun, as FGCU’s 72.1 points per night lead the way followed by Stetson’s 71.2. The two teams have a combined six players - three each - in the A-Sun’s top 20 scoring leaders, including five in the top 10. The Eagles have scored 70+ points in seven straight games and 11 of the last 12, while the Hatters are tied for the league lead with four games of 80+ points. Stetson leads the A-Sun and is 40th in the nation with a .467 field goal percentage, while FGCU is right behind at .460, good for 55th nationally. In their first year at the helm of their programs in 2011-12, offensive-minded head coaches ANDY ENFIELD and Casey Alexander saw their two teams combine for an average of 171.5 points per game in the two meetings last year, while neither team was held below 80 points.
FGCU is 10-1 at Alico Arena this season and 19-6 all-time at home under second-year head coach ANDY ENFIELD.
• Nine-game home win streak to start the year was the longest in the program’s Division I history.
• Out-scoring opponents by 11.9 points per game
• Forcing 16.8 turnovers per game, leading to 9.8 steals.
• Dominating inside, out-scoring opponents 418-230 in the paint, good for a 17.1 per game difference.
• Shooting 47.4 percent while limiting opponents to 37.3 percent.
• Defeated ACC foe Miami in the home opener, limiting the Canes to just 29 percent (16-55) shooting.
• Led at the half in 10 of 11 games.
TWICE IS NICE
On the strength of a pair of double-doubles that were highlighted by a career-high 29 points in 29 minutes during a win over Northern Kentucky, senior SHERWOOD BROWN picked up his second A-Sun Player of the Week award from the league office on Tuesday. Brown is the first player this season to earn A-Sun Player of the Week honors twice.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN is averaging 20.0 points and 10.5 rebounds over FGCU’s last four games, becoming the first player in the program’s 11-year history to have a double-double in four straight contests. Brown has led the team in scoring and rebounding three times over the last four contests, including both in the same game twice.
IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF
Thanks to his last two seasons under head coach ANDY ENFIELD and his staff, senior SHERWOOD BROWN not sits just 15 points and 25 rebounds shy of becoming the first player in program history to accumulate 1,000 points and 500 rebounds. He is currently third all-time in points and second in rebounds.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the fifth-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 28.8 points, 10.7 rebounds and 4.0 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Brown is sixth at 15.1 points per game, while Thompson is 10th at 13.7 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 14 times.
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 14 of the 21 games and have been the top two scorers on seven occasions.
• Combine to average 32.9 points on the road.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 31.9 pgg
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 30.6 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 30.0 ppg
Cummings/Love (Kennesaw St.) - 29.3 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 28.8 ppg
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON registered 57 steals as a freshman in 2011-12 - good for third in the A-Sun and fifth-best in program single-season history - and is just three off that total with at least 10 games to play.
• Sixth in the nation in total steals with 54.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks 12th in the nation in steals per game (2.6)
• Had a career-high of five steals at No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD.
• Has four or more steals six times this year.
• Has a steal in 48 of 53 career games, including 35 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in his 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 54 steals have led directly to 68 FGCU points (3.2 per game), including 25 of his own.
THE GREAT CHASE
Forward CHASE FIELER has elevated his game in each of his three season and is having a breakout junior campaign. Fieler is posting career-high numbers across the board, ranking in the top three on the squad in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and blocks.
• Team leader with 38 dunks out 91 made field goals.
• Has led the team in scoring seven times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (11.3) and second in rebounding (5.2) - figures that rank 19th and 14th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Fifth in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.1 per game.
• Team leader with 41 offensive rebounds.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
Over the last 17 games, junior CHASE FIELER is averaging 12.8 points and 5.6 rebounds, reaching double figures 14 times.
• Reached double figures in 14 of the last 17 games, including a current career long seven-game stretch.
• Set career-highs with 20 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks against Lipscomb for his second career double-double.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Second in the A-Sun and is 18th in the nation in assists (6.1).
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with at least three games of 10 or more assists.
• Ranks fifth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.6).
• Third all-time in FGCU history with 307 assists.
• Fourth in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.7).
• Scored in double figures seven times.
• Has an assist on 36 of the team’s 89 dunks.
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ratio in 10 of the last 12 contests.
WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU
One of two players to rank in the A-Sun’s top 10 in scoring and rebounding in 2011-12, this season senior SHERWOOD BROWN is back at it again this season. Currently Brown is one of three players in the top 10 in scoring and rebounding, and on Tuesday became the first player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week award twice this season.
• One of four players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.1/6th) and rebounding (6.1/7th).
• Reached double figures in a team-best 18 contests, including four 20-point outings.
• Averaging 20.0 points and 10.5 rebounds over the last four games thanks to four straight double-doubles.
• In the A-Sun’s top 10 in seven different statistical categories.
• Averaging 16.2 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 16 straight true road games.
• FGCU is 7-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• Team leader with 37 three-pointers, knocking down 39 of his last 89 from beyond the arc.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Two-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
Breakdown of FGCU’s individual dunk leaders ... the Eagles have 89 dunks.
38 - Chase Fieler
23 - Eric McKnight
9 - Eddie Murray
8 - Sherwood Brown
6 - Leonard Livingston
5 - Bernard Thompson