|Men's Basketball » News||» Media Central » News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics » Archive|
@FGCU_MBB Caps Road Trip at Jacksonville in Battle of #ASunMBB First Place Teams
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||JU|
|FG Percentage||.449 (22-49)||.400 (22-55)|
|3P FG Percentage||.421 (8-19)||.571 (8-14)|
|FT Percentage||.829 (29-35)||.813 (26-32)|
THOMPSON - 2
FLEMING - 1
POWELL - 1
FGCU (15-8, 7-3 A-Sun) at Jacksonville (12-11, 7-3 A-Sun)
Date: Saturday, February 2, 2013
Time: 3:15 P.M. EST
City: Jacksonville, Fla.
Site: Swisher Gymnasium (1,500)
Live Video (Free): ASun.TV
Live Audio: www.FGCUATHLETICS.com
Talent: Tom James (P-B-P) & J. Webb Horton (Analyst)
Live Stats: www.JUDOLPHINS.com
Current Streak: W3
Last 5: 3-2
Last 10: 7-3
On The Road (A-Sun): 4-7 (3-2)
Vs. Jacksonville/Streak: 4-7/W4
Last Meeting: FGCU 78, JU 55 - Jan. 5, 2013 - Fort Myers
AT A GLANCE
Saturday’s Atlantic Sun showdown features a pair of first place teams, as FGCU carries a three-game win streak into Swisher Gymnasium to take on a Jacksonville club that has won five of its last six. The Eagles are in search of their first-ever four-game A-Sun win streak and a season sweep of the Dolphins for the second straight year. FGCU has out-scored its last three opponents by 21.3 points per game while averaging 86.0 points and shooting 53 percent (98-184). A win would also give FGCU a new program D1 record for victories in a single season.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 30-25 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 15-13 (2nd Season)
Vs. Jacksonville: 3-0
Head Coach: Cliff Warren (Mount St. Mary’s ‘90)
Record at JU: 112-126 (8th Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 79-63 (8th Season)
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• Second in the A-Sun & 19th nationally in assists per game (6.1).
• Team leader in assists in 22 of 23 games and 51 of 55 for career.
• Averaging 15.0 points and 6.0 assists over the last two games.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• Fourth nationally in total steals (61) & ninth in steals per (2.65).
• Ranks 10th in the A-Sun in scoring (13.7).
• All four 20-point games this season have come on the road.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Averaging 20.0 points and 9.3 rebounds the last six games.
• 11 rebounds shy of 1,000 points & 500 boards - FGCU first
• Reached double figures in 17 straight true road games.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 40 dunks out of 107 made field goals.
• Career-long nine-game double figure streak; 15.7 ppg.
• Coming off a career-high 22 points at UNF.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• Second in the A-Sun in total blocks (31) and third per game (1.3).
• Reached double figures in seven games.
• Second on the team with 25 dunks.
FGCU FAST BREAK FACTS
• A-Sun leader with 15 wins; equals program D1 record.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (73.9), field goal percentage (.468), steals (9.0) and three-point defense (.308).
• Riding three-game win streak in which its out-scored its opponents by 21.3 points per while averaging 86.0 points.
• Haven’t trialed in eight games on the year.
• Scored 70+ points in nine straight games and 13 of the last 14.
• A perfect 7-0 when holding opponents under 60 points and 8-0 when shooting 50 percent or better.
• Out-rebounded five straight and eight of the last nine opponents.
• As a team, FGCU has 95 dunks on the season.
• 11-1 at Alico Arena this season; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
• Tabbed as the No. 16 seed in the East Region in ESPN’S Bracketology released on Friday.
ALL-TIME AGAINST JACKSONVILLE
After losing its first seven games against Jacksonville when it joined the league, FGCU is in search of its second straight season sweep of the Dolphins. The Eagles have taken four in a row from JU, but still trail the all-time series, 7-4. In January’s first meeting, FGCU raced out a 43-17 lead at the break, the largest halftime lead in the program’s Division I history. Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has led FGCU in scoring the last three meetings with the Dolphins, averaging 17.6 points per game.
Like FGCU, Jacksonville has won seven of its last 10 games and enters Saturday with a share of first place in the A-Sun standings. The Dolphins, who have taken five of their last six, are a perfect 5-0 at home in A-Sun action. Thursday night’s 71-70 win over Stetson came at Swisher Gymnasium, while the other four home conference wins have come at Veterans Memorial Arena. Saturday’s game will be the first time the two teams have met on campus at Swisher Gym. JU has been able to climb to the top of the A-Sun standings by going 6-1 in league games decided by nine points or less.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (15-8) trail only No. 4 Florida (17-2) and No. 14 Miami (16-3) for the most wins. FGCU is 6-0 against Division I teams from Florida, including one of Miami’s three losses.
(Records through Jan. 31)
Nine schools: 12 wins or fewer
FGCU’s three-game win streak has it one shy of the program record for A-Sun victories in a season. Over the three-game win streak, FGCU is averaging 86.0 points per game, out-scoring its opponents by 21.3 points, including 13.0 in the first half, and shooting 53 percent. Out of 120 minutes of game action, the Eagles have trailed for just 3:10, leading from start to finish in two of the contests. Four players are averaging double figures, led by senior SHERWOOD BROWN’S 23.0 ppg and junior CHASE FIELER’S 17.0.
MAKING HIS CASE
Halfway through the A-Sun regular season slate, senior SHERWOOD BROWN is putting together league MVP-type numbers while helping FGCU snag a piece of first place.
• Averaging 20.0 points over the last six games
• One of four players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.6/7th) and rebounding (6.2/7th).
• Third player in program history to reach 1,000 career points and the first to do it all in Division I.
• Reached double figures in a team-best 20 contests, including five 20-point outings.
• First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles.
• Had a streak of three straight 20-point games.
• In the A-Sun’s top 10 in seven different statistical categories.
• Averaging 16.5 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 17 straight true road games.
• FGCU is 8-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• Team leader with 48 three-pointers, knocking down 45 of his last 100 from beyond the arc.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor twice.
• Three-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
TWICE IS NICE
On the strength of a pair of double-doubles that were highlighted by a career-high 29 points in 29 minutes during a win over Northern Kentucky, senior SHERWOOD BROWN picked up his second A-Sun Player of the Week award from the league office on Jan. 28. Brown is the only player this season to earn A-Sun Player of the Week honors twice.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN became the first player in program’s 11-year history to post four consecutive double-doubles from Jan. 10-19. Playing four A-Sun games at USC Upstate, at ETSU, vs. Lipscomb and vs. Northern Kentucky, Brown averaged 20.0 points and 10.5 rebounds over that span.
IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF
Thanks to his last two seasons under head coach ANDY ENFIELD and his staff, senior SHERWOOD BROWN not sits just 11 rebounds shy of
becoming the first player in program history to accumulate 1,000 points and 500 rebounds. He is currently third all-time in points and second in rebounds.
Just one game removed from a career-high six steals against Stetson, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has already surpassed his total from last year, while his 2.65 thefts per game are on pace to break the program single-season record of 78.
• Fourth in the nation in total steals with 61.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks ninth in the nation in steals per game (2.65).
• Career-high six steals vs. Stetson bested his five at then-No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD this season.
• Has four or more steals seven times this year.
• Has a steal in 50 of 55 career games, including 36 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in his 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 61 steals have led directly to 78 FGCU points (3.4 per game), including 29 of his own.
THE GREAT CHASE
Forward CHASE FIELER has elevated his game in each of his three seasons and is having a breakout junior campaign. Fieler is posting career-high numbers across the board, ranking in the top three on the squad in scoring, rebounding and blocks.
• Team leader with 40 dunks out 107 made field goals.
• Has led the team in scoring eight times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (12.1) and second in rebounding (5.3) - figures that rank 17th and tied for 15th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Reached double figures 17 times after doing so just 15 times during his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
• Fourth in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.2 per game.
• Team leader with 48 offensive rebounds.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
Over the last 19 games, junior CHASE FIELER is averaging 13.6 points and 5.6 rebounds, reaching double figures 16 times, including a current career-long streak of nine contests.
• Coming off a career-high 22 points at North Florida.
• Turned in the No. 3 highlight on the Jan. 25th Sports Center Top 10 Plays with a put-back dunk against Stetson.
• Averaging 15.7 points over the last nine games.
• Went for 20 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks against Lipscomb for his second career double-double.