Florida Gulf Coast
(19-8, 11-3 A-Sun)
(8-13, 6-7 A-Sun)
2/14/2013 | Highland Heights, Ky. | Attendance: 3386
|Florida Gulf Coast||24||36||60|
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||NKU|
|3P FG Percentage||.263
FGCU (18-8, 10-3 A-Sun) at Northern Kentucky (8-12, 6-6 A-Sun)
Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013
Time: 7:00 P.M. EST
City: Highland Heights, Ky.
Site: The Bank of Kentucky Center (9,400)
Live Video: ASUN.TV
Live Audio: www.NKUNORSE.com
Live Stats: www.NKUNORSE.com
Current Streak: W6
Last 5: 5-0
Last 10: 8-2
On The Road (A-Sun): 5-7 (4-2)
Vs. NKU/Away/Streak: 1-0/0-0/W1
Last Meeting: FGCU 73, NKU 54 - January 19, 2013 - Fort Myers, Fla.
AT A GLANCE
Riding a program Division I record six-game win streak in which its out-scored its opponents by 19.3 points per night, FGCU will make its first-ever appearance at A-Sun newcomer Northern Kentucky on Thursday night at 7 p.m. Having already set program D1 records for wins (18) and A-Sun wins (10), the Eagles can accomplish another first in conference play Thursday night as it searches for its third consecutive A-Sun road victory. FGCU sits a half-game ahead of Mercer for first place in the A-Sun standings and is three games up on the three teams tied for third. The Eagles will wear their home whites as NKU will hold “Black out the Bank” night.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 33-25 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 18-13 (2nd Season)
Head Coach: Dave Bezold (Viterbo (Wisc.) College ‘90)
Record at NKU: 169-91 (9th Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 6-6 (1st Season)
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• A-Sun leader and 13th in the nation in assists per game (6.4)
• Averaging 10.5 assists over the last two contests.
• A-Sun active leader with eight double figure assist games.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• Tied for second in the nation total steals (72) & 9th per (2.77).
• Ranks 10th in the A-Sun in scoring (13.5).
• All four 20-point games this season have come on the road.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Averaging 21.2 points during six-game win streak.
• First player in FGCU history with 1000 points and 500 rebounds.
• Scored a career-high 29 points in Jan. 12 meeting with NKU.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 41 dunks out of 116 made field goals.
• Averaging career-bests of 11.6 points and 5.2 rebounds.
• Reached double figures in 10 of 13 A-Sun games.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• Second in the A-Sun in total blocks (36) and second per (1.4).
• Reached double figures in eight games.
• Second on the team with 27 dunks.
@FGCU_MBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• Currently in sole possession of first place in the A-Sun (10-3).
• Clinched an A-Sun Tournament berth with its win over ETSU.
• A-Sun leader with 18 wins; a program D1 record.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (73.9), scoring margin (+6.7), field goal percentage (.466), three-point percentage (.348), steals (9.1) and three-point def. (.308).
• Riding a program D1-best six-game win streak in which its out-scored its opponents by 19.3 points per night.
• Have trailed for a total of 11:22 over 240 minutes of game action during six-game win streak.
• Haven’t trialed in nine games on the year.
• Scored 70+ points in 11 of the last 12 games.
• At least three players have scored double figures in 21 straight games, including five on four occasions.
• Held a double figure lead in 11 straight games and 12 of 13 in A-Sun.
• A perfect 8-0 when holding opponents under 60 points and 8-0 when shooting 50 percent or better.
• As a team, FGCU has 105 dunks on the season.
• 13-1 at Alico Arena this season; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
• Tabbed as the No. 14 seed in the West Region by Joe Lunardi in ESPN’S Bracketology released on Tuesday.
• 33 wins under head coach ANDY ENFIELD in the last two seasons compared to 39 in the previous four campaigns.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (18-8) trail only No. 7 Florida (20-3) and No. 3 Miami (19-3) for the most wins. FGCU is 7-0 against Division I teams from Florida, including one of Miami’s three losses.
(Records through Feb. 12)
Nine schools: 13 wins or fewer
FGCU’s current six-game win streak is its longest ever since joining the Division I ranks in 2007-08. Over the six-game win streak, FGCU is averaging 80.0 points, out-scoring its opponents by 19.3 points and shooting 49.2 percent. Out of 240 minutes of game action, the Eagles have trailed for just 11:22, leading from start to finish in three of the contests, and haven’t been down by more than four points in any of the games. Four players are averaging double figures, led by senior SHERWOOD BROWN’S 21.2 ppg followed by three players at 11.7 ppg or better.
NO SOUP FOR YOU
The Eagles have won the last two games on the defensive end, holding back-to-back opponents to less than 50 points for the first time in the program’s D1 history. Over the last two games, the Eagles are giving up 46.0 points per game, while opponents are shooting 29 percent (34-118), including 7-of-35 from three. Even more impressive, FGCU’s last two opponents have as many made field goals (34) as turnovers (34), while neither team scored more than 25 points in a half. During the two-game run, FGCU set a school record with 13 blocks against ETSU while it has had double-digit steals in both contests.
SCOUTING NORTHERN KENTUCKY
Currently in sole possession of sixth place in the A-Sun standings at 6-6, Northern Kentucky has won four of its last five and has taken three straight at the Bank of Kentucky Center. The Norse’s recent run has been fueled by good defense as they rank second in the A-Sun in scoring defense (61.4). NKU has held 10 opponents to 60 points or less and has coupled that with scoring a season-high 70 points in two of the last three games. Senior Eshaunte Jones is having an All-Conference caliber campaign, sitting fifth in the conference in scoring at 15.8 points per night.
ALL-TIME AGAINST NKU
Thursday will be the second meeting between the two teams, as FGCU defeated NKU 73-54 on Jan. 19 behind a career-high 29 points from senior Sherwood Brown. The win was the start of the Green and Blue’s current six-game win streak.
MAKING HIS CASE
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN is putting together league MVP-type numbers while helping FGCU vault into first place.
• Averaging 21.2 points and 7.0 rebounds during win streak.
• Reached double figures in a team-best 23 contests, including seven 20-point outings.
• Scored 20 points in five of the last seven games to lead the A-Sun in scoring (18.1) in conference only contests.
• One of three players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (16.0/4th) and rebounding (6.2/8th).
• First player in program history and third current A-Sun player to reach 1,000 points and 500 rebounds.
• First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles.
• Averaging 16.8 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 18 straight true road games.
• FGCU is 10-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor twice.
• Four-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF
Thanks to his last two seasons under head coach ANDY ENFIELD, senior SHERWOOD BROWN became the first player in program history to accumulate 1,000 points and 500 rebounds last Thursday night. There are three other active players in the A-Sun who have accomplished the feat: Torrey Craig (USC Upstate), Markeith Cummings (Kennesaw State) and Andy Diaz (UNF). He is currently third all-time in points and second in rebounds, sitting 63 short of Adam Liddell’s record of 570.
FGCU leads the A-Sun in five statistical categories: scoring offense (73.9), scoring margin (+6.7), field goal percentage (.466), three-point percentage (.348), three-point defense (.308) and steals (9.1). Sophomore BRETT COMER leads the league in assists (6.4), while classmate BERNARD THOMPSON is tops in steals (2.8).
The fourth-highest scoring tandem in the A-Sun, senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON take their game up to another level on the road.
• Account for 45.1 percent (399 of 883) of the team’s scoring on the road, leading the team in points in eight of 12 contests.
• Both players have reached double figures in 11 of 12 road games, while six of their combined 10 20-point games are on the road.
• Combining for 33.3 points per game away from home and shooting 49.1 percent (142-289) from the floor.
• Scoring 18.4 points in the second half, highlighted by eight double figure efforts (Thompson-4, Brown-4) in the final 20 minutes.
• Brown has reached double figures in 18 straight road games dating back to 2011-12.
• Thompson’s top five scoring performances have been on the road this season.
FGCU swept the weekly A-Sun awards handed out on Tuesday, as senior SHERWOOD BROWN earned his third Player of the Week honor and redshirt sophomore ERIC MCKNIGHT took home his third Newcomer of the Week accolade. It marked the second time this season that the Green and Blue have swept the awards, as BERNARD THOMPSON and McKnight did so on Nov. 20th. No other A-Sun player has been named Player of the Week more than once, while Brown has taken the honor three times.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN became the first player in program’s 11-year history to post four consecutive double-doubles from Jan. 10-19. Playing four A-Sun games at USC Upstate, at ETSU, vs. Lipscomb and vs. Northern Kentucky, Brown averaged 20.0 points and 10.5 rebounds over that span.
Highlighted by 18 steals over the last five games, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has already surpassed his total from last year, while his 72 steals are just six off the program record.
• Tied for second in the nation in total steals with 72.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks ninth in the nation in steals per game (2.77).
• 72 steals are tied for the 24th-most in A-Sun history.
• Career-high six steals vs. Stetson bested his five at then-No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo, vs. Loyola-MD and vs. USC Upstate this season.
• Has four or more steals nine times this year.
• Has a steal in 53 of 58 career games, including 39 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in his 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 72 steals have led directly to 93 FGCU points (3.6 per game), including 33 of his own.
STEALIN THE SHOW
Armed with length and athleticism - traits important to head coach ANDY ENFIELD’S defensive scheme - FGCU leads the A-Sun and ranks 16th in the nation at 9.1 steals per contest.
• The Eagles have posted double-digit steals in 12 games this season, going 10-2 in those outings winning five in a row.
• Led by sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 72 steals that are second-most in the country, three FGCU players rank in the top 5 in the A-Sun in thefts per game.
• In 58 games under Enfield, FGCU has eclipsed 500 steals with 503.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the fourth-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 29.5 points, 10.6 rebounds and 4.3 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Brown is fourth at 16.0 points per game, while Thompson is 10th at 13.5 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 18 times.
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 17 of the 26 games and have been the top two scorers eight times
• Combine to average 33.3 points on the road.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 30.9 ppg
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 30.8 pgg
Jones/Wilson (ETSU) - 30.7 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 29.5 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 29.1 ppg
THE GREAT CHASE
Forward CHASE FIELER has elevated his game in each of his three seasons and is having a breakout junior campaign. Fieler is posting career-high numbers across the board, ranking in the top three on the squad in scoring, rebounding and blocks.
• Team leader with 41 dunks out 116 made field goals.
• Has led the team in scoring eight times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (11.6) and second in rebounding (5.3) - figures that both rank 17th in the A-Sun.
• Reached double figures 18 times after doing so just 15 times during his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
• Scored in double figures in 10 of 13 A-Sun games.
• Fourth in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.2 per game.
• Team leader with 55 offensive rebounds.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
• Turned in the No. 3 highlight on the Jan. 25th Sports Center Top 10 Plays with a put-back dunk against Stetson.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Averaging 10.5 assists in the last two games, highlighted by 12 against ETSU.
• Tops in the A-Sun and 13th in the nation in assists (6.4).
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with at least four games of 10 or more assists.
• Ranks fourth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.8).
• Second all-time in FGCU history with 345 assists.
• Second in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.7).
• Scored in double figures 10 times.
• Has an assist on 42 of the team’s 105 dunks.
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ratio in 15 of the last 17 contests.
Breakdown of FGCU’s individual dunk leaders ... the Eagles have 105 dunks.
41 - Chase Fieler
27 - Eric McKnight
14 - Eddie Murray
10 - Sherwood Brown
6 - Leonard Livingston
6 - Bernard Thompson
1 - Brett Comer