(3-27, 2-16 ASun)
(21-10, 13-5 ASun)
3/2/2013 | Fort Myers, Fla. (Alico Arena) | Attendance: 2574
|Stats at a Glance||KSU||FGCU|
|3P FG Percentage||.222
Kennesaw State (3-26, 2-15 A-Sun) at FGCU (20-10, 12-5 A-Sun)
Date: Saturday, March 2, 2013
Time: 5:15 P.M. EST
City: Fort Myers, Fla.
Site: Alico Arena (4,500)
Live Audio: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Talent: David Moulton (P-B-P) & J. Webb Horton (Analyst)
Live Stats: www.FGCUATHLETICS.com
Hashtags: #KSUvsFGCU | #ASUNMBB | #WeAreFGCU
Current Streak: W1
Last 5: 3-2
Last 10: 8-2
At Home/A-Sun/Streak: 14-1 | 7-1 | W5
Vs. Kennesaw St./Home/Streak: 5-6 | 3-2 | W3
Last Meeting: FGCU 68, Kennesaw State 59 - December 31, 2012 - Kennesaw, Ga.
AT A GLANCE
With its hopes of an Atlantic Sun co-regular season title still alive, FGCU will wrap up regular season play on Saturday when it hosts Kennesaw State at Alico Arena. Having already secured the program’s first-ever 20-win since joining the Division I ranks in 2007-08, the Eagles can claim a share of the A-Sun regular season title with a win over the Owls and a Mercer loss at Stetson on Saturday. FGCU has put together a 14-1 record this season at the friendly confines of Alico Arena, the most home wins in the program’s D1 era.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 35-27 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 20-15 (2nd Season)
Head Coach: Lewis Preston (VMI ‘93)
Record at KSU: 6-54 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 2-33 (2nd Season)
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• A-Sun leader and 13th in the nation in assists per game (6.4).
• 193 assists are tied for 11th in A-Sun single-season history.
• A-Sun active leader with nine double figure assist games.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• FGCU single-season record 85 steals rank 8th in A-Sun history.
• Second in the nation total steals (85) & sixth per (2.84).
• Has led the team in scoring the last three contests.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Top 10 in the A-Sun in scoring (15.4/8th) & rebounding (6.3/8th).
• First player in FGCU history with 1000 points and 500 rebounds.
• Team leader with seven 20-point games, including five in A-Sun.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 48 dunks.
• Averaging career-bests of 11.8 points and 5.3 rebounds.
• Reached double figures in 14 of 17 A-Sun games.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• Third in the A-Sun in total blocks (38) and third per game (1.3).
• Sports a 68 percent field goal percentage (44-65) in A-Sun play.
• Second on the team with 31 dunks.
@FGCU_MBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• Currently in sole possession of second place in the A-Sun (12-5).
• Tied for the A-Sun lead with 20 wins; a program D1 record.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (72.9), field goal percentage (.462), steals (8.9) and three-point def. (.313).
• Had a program D1-best seven-game win streak over the last three games of January and first three of February.
• Haven’t trailed at the half in the last 16 games.
• Haven’t allowed more than 30 points in 8 of the last 12 halves.
• Haven’t trialed in nine games on the year.
• Scored 70+ points in 13 of the last 16 games.
• Held a double figure lead in 13 of 17 A-Sun contests.
• A perfect 11-0 when holding opponents under 60 points and 8-1 when shooting 50 percent or better.
• As a team, FGCU has 121 dunks on the season.
• 14-1 at Alico Arena this season; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
• 35 wins under head coach ANDY ENFIELD in the last two seasons compared to 39 in the previous four campaigns.
FGCU is 14-1 at Alico Arena this season and 22-6 all-time at home under second-year head coach ANDY ENFIELD.
• Nine-game home win streak to start the year was the longest in the program’s Division I history.
• Led from start to finish 8 of 15 games.
• Have trailed for a total of 64:21 out of 605 minutes of game action.
• Out-scoring opponents by 14.3 points per game
• Forcing 17.1 turnovers per game, leading to 10.2 steals.
• Dominating inside, out-scoring opponents 564-326 in the paint, good for a 15.9 per game difference.
• Shooting 47.4 percent while limiting opponents to 36.7 percent.
• Defeated current ACC leader Miami in the home opener, limiting the Canes to just 29 percent (16-55) shooting.
• Led at the half in 14 of 15 games.
• Trailed by double figures at home three times, winning two of those contests - Miami and Toledo.
Prior to Saturday’s game, FGCU will honor its two seniors SHERWOOD BROWN and EDDIE MURRAY, who are just the second and third players, respectively, in program history to play all four seasons at the Division I level. Between them, the duo has played in a combined 226 games, helping the Eagles make a run to the A-Sun title game in their first season of eligibility in 2012 and a 20-win campaign this year.
SCOUTING KENNESAW STATE
The Owls will close out the 2012-13 season Saturday, as they failed to advance to next week’s A-Sun Tournament. Kennesaw State has dropped five straight and 13 of the last 14 games to slip to 3-26 overall and 2-15 in the A-Sun. Senior Markeith Cummings is second in the A-Sun in scoring at 16.8 points per night and has led the team in points in 15 of the 26 games he has played in. Sophomore Delbert Love has five 20-point games in A-Sun action, highlighted by a career-high 32 points in a win over Mercer, en route to 12.0 points per night. Senior Aaron Anderson is tops in the A-Sun in rebounding (8.6).
FGCU has taken three straight meetings against Kennesaw State to cut the Owls’ edge in the all-time series to 6-5. The Eagles are 3-0 under coach Enfield against KSU and will aim for their second straight season sweep on Saturday. Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has reached double figures in all three career games against Kennesaw State, averaging 15.7 points.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (20-10) trail only No. 5 Miami (22-4) and No. 6 Florida (22-5) for the most wins. FGCU is 7-0 against Division I teams from Florida, including one of Miami’s four losses.
(Records through Feb. 28)
Nine schools: 15 wins or fewer
MAKING HIS CASE
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN is putting together league MVP-type numbers while helping FGCU contend for the A-Sun regular season title.
• Only player in the top 5 in scoring (16.5/T-4th) and rebounding (7.5/5th) in A-Sun action.
• Reached double figures in a team-best 25 contests, including seven 20-point outings.
• One of three players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.4/8th) and rebounding (6.3/8th).
• First player in program history and fourth current A-Sun player to reach 1,000 points and 500 rebounds.
• First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles.
• Averaging 16.1 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 20 of last 21 true road games.
• FGCU is 10-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor more than once - has done so three times.
• Four-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 85 steals are a new program single-season record and are just five off the combined total (90) from teammates BRETT COMER and SHERWOOD BROWN, who rank third and fourth in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Second in the nation in total steals with 85.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks sixth in the nation in steals per game (2.84).
• 85 steals are tied for the eighth-most in A-Sun history and 19 off the record set by Centenary’s Larry Robinson in 1989-90.
• Has twice registered a career-high six steals against Stetson this season and five thefts four other times.
• Has four or more 10 nine times this year.
• Has a steal in 57 of 62 career games, including 43 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 85 steals have led directly to 113 FGCU points (3.8 per game), including 44 of his own.
FGCU leads the A-Sun in four statistical categories: scoring offense (72.9), field goal percentage (.462), three-point defense (.313) and steals (8.9). Sophomore BRETT COMER is vying to become the fourth player in A-Sun history to lead the league in assists back-to-back seasons, while classmate BERNARD THOMPSON is tops in steals (2.84).
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Tops in the A-Sun and 13th in the nation in assists (6.4).
• Seeking to become the fourth player in A-Sun history to lead the league in assists two straight years.
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with five games of 10 or more assists.
• A-Sun active leader with nine career double-digit assist games.
• 193 assists are tied for 11th in A-Sun single-season history and he’s three away from the top 10.
• Ranks fifth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.7).
• Second all-time in FGCU history with 371 assists.
• Third in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.5).
• Has an assist on 51 of the team’s 121 dunks.
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ratio in 18 of the last 21 contests.
• Scored in double figures 11 times.
STEALIN THE SHOW
Armed with length and athleticism - traits important to head coach ANDY ENFIELD’S defensive scheme - FGCU leads the A-Sun and ranks 22nd in the nation at 8.9 steals per contest.
• The Eagles have posted double-digit steals in 14 games this season, going 11-3 in those outings.
• Led by sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 85 steals that are the second-most in the country, three FGCU players rank in the top 5 in the A-Sun in thefts per game.
• In 62 games under Enfield, FGCU has eclipsed 500 steals with 543.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the third-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 39.6 points, 10.6 rebounds and 4.3 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Brown is eighth at 15.4 points per game, while Thompson is ninth at 14.2 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 20 times.
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 20 of the 30 games and have been the top two scorers 10 times.
• Combine to average 33.3 points on the road.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 31.2 ppg
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 30.0 pgg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 29.6 ppg
Jones/Wilson (ETSU) - 29.7 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 29.3 ppg
THE GREAT CHASE
Forward CHASE FIELER has elevated his game in each of his three seasons and is having a breakout junior campaign. Fieler is posting career-high numbers across the board, ranking in the top three on the squad in scoring, rebounding and blocks.
• Team leader with 48 dunks.
• Has led the team in scoring nine times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (11.8) and second in rebounding (5.3) - figures that rank 18th and 13th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Reached double figures 22 times after doing so just 15 times during his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
• Scored in double figures in 14 of 17 A-Sun games.
• Second in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.4 per game.
• Team leader with 66 offensive rebounds.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
• Turned in the No. 3 highlight on the Jan. 25th Sports Center Top 10 Plays with a put-back dunk against Stetson.