|Men's Basketball » News||» News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics » Archive|
@FGCU_MBB Set to Continue In-State Rivalry With Stetson in #ASunMBB Semifinals
|Florida Gulf Coast||24||48||72|
|Stats at a Glance||STET||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.339 (19-56)||.441 (26-59)|
|3P FG Percentage||.143 (3-21)||.214 (3-14)|
|FT Percentage||.708 (17-24)||.654 (17-26)|
PEGG - 8
NABURGS - 1
CVJETICANIN - 1
BROWN - 1
#3 Stetson (15-15) vs. #2 FGCU (22-10)
Round: A-Sun Semifinals
Date | Time: Friday, March 8, 2013 | 8:00 P.M.
City: Macon, Ga.
Site: Hawkins Arena (3,200)
TV: Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS)
Talent: Matt Stewart (P-B-P) & Sonny Smith (Analyst)
Live Audio: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Talent: David Moulton (P-B-P) & J. Webb Horton (Analyst)
Live Stats: www.ATLANTICSUN.org
Twitter: @FGCU_MBB | @Matt_StewartCSS | @ASun_Patrick
Hashtags: #MaconMadness | #ASUNMBB | #WeAreFGCU
Current Streak: W3
Last 5: 3-2
Last 10: 8-2
At A-Sun Tournament (App.): 3-1 (2)
Vs. Stetson | Season Series | Streak: 6-6 | 1-1 | L1
With A Win: Saturday, March 9 - Noon (ESPN2) vs. #1 Mercer/5 USC Upstate
AT A GLANCE
With wins in 10 of its last 12 games, second-seeded FGCU will look to advance to the Atlantic Sun championship game for the second straight year when it takes on third-seeded Stetson Friday night in the semifinal round seen live on Comcast Sports Southeast. The Eagles improved to 3-1 all-time at the A-Sun Tournament with a 73-63 quarterfinal win over seventh-seeded UNF, while the Hatters cruised, 67-46, against sixth-seeded ETSU for their first A-Sun Tournament win since 2006.
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• A-Sun leader and 16th in the nation in assists per game (6.3).
• 202 assists are good for eighth in A-Sun single-season history.
• A-Sun active leader with nine double figure assist games.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• A-Sun Defensive Player of the Year
• FGCU single-season record 91 steals rank sixth in A-Sun history.
• Second in the nation total steals (91) & fifth per game (2.84).
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• A-Sun Player of the Year and unanimous All-Conference pick.
• Top 10 in the A-Sun in scoring (15.2/8th) & rebounding (6.3/8th).
• First player in FGCU history with 1000 points and 500 rebounds.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• A-Sun All-Conference second team selection.
• Had team-bests of 22 points & nine rebounds in quarterfinal win.
• Team leader with 51 dunks.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• Third in the A-Sun in total blocks (39) and fifth per game (1.2).
• Equaled a season-high with eight rebounds in the quarterfinals.
• Second on the team with 31 dunks.
@FGCU_MBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• Tied for the A-Sun lead with 22 wins; a program D1 record.
• Vying to become the first runner-up from the previous championship to return to the title game since Jacksonville in 2009.
• Advanced to the 2012 A-Sun Championship game in first year of postseason eligibility.
• 3-1 in two appearances at the A-Sun Tournament.
• 13 A-Sun regular wins were a program-best.
• 15-1 at Alico Arena this season, which equals the most home wins by an A-Sun team in the last five years; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (72.7) and steals (9.0).
• Had a program D1-best seven-game win streak over the last three games of January and first four of February.
• Haven’t trailed at the half in the last 18 games.
• Haven’t allowed more than 30 points in 11 of the last 16 halves.
• Haven’t trailed in nine games on the year.
• Scored 70+ points in 21 games and is 6-0 when scoring 80 points.
• Held a double-digit lead in 15 of 19 games vs. A-Sun opponents.
• A perfect 12-0 when holding opponents under 60 points, including 8-0 in the A-Sun, and 8-1 when shooting 50 percent or better.
• As a team, FGCU has 128 dunks on the season.
• At least three players have reached double figures in 25 of the last 27 games, highlighted by five in five contests (5-0).
• 37 wins under head coach ANDY ENFIELD in the last two seasons compared to 39 in the previous four campaigns.
SEASON SERIES VS. STETSON
• Teams split the two meetings with the home team taking both.
• FGCU averaged 83.5 points, shooting 49.2 percent (65-132).
• FGCU’s 96 points in the Jan. 25th home win were a season-high.
• Eagles had a combined 53 points off turnovers in the two games, forcing the Hatters in 20+ turnovers both games.
• As a team, FGCU had 12 steals in each contest.
• Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON set and equaled a career-high with six steals in each game and has reached double figures in all four career games against Stetson.
• Senior SHERWOOD BROWN averaged 19.5 points.
LAST TIME OUT: FGCU 73, UNF 63
Junior CHASE FIELER equaled a career-high with 22 points and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON scored all 18 of his points in the final 12:53 as second-seeded FGCU defeated seventh-seeded UNF, 73-63, Wednesday afternoon in the A-Sun quarterfinals. • Fieler’s third 20-point game of the year came on 8-of-15 from the field, including a perfect 3-of-3 from three, and he also added a game-high nine rebounds. • With FGCU holding a one possession lead, 59-56, with 6:24 to play, Thompson took over the game with a personal 9-0 run to give the Eagles their largest lead of the game (12), 68-56, with two minutes to play. Thompson’s 9-0 run was the tail end of 14 consecutive points by the league’s Defensive Player of the Year who hit 5-of-7 from the field and all five free throws during the 6:33 span.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 37-27 (2nd Season)
A-Sun Tournament Record: 3-1 (2nd Appearance)
A-Sun Record: 21-15 (2nd Season)
Head Coach: Casey Alexander (Belmont ‘95)
Record at Stetson: 24-35 (2nd Season)
A-Sun Tournament Record: 1-0 (1st Appearance)
A-Sun Record: 17-19 (2nd Season)
Also led by a second-year head coach in Casey Alexander, third-seeded Stetson is making its first A-Sun Tournament appearance since 2009. The Hatters finished the regular season with a 11-7 A-Sun mark. Stetson trialed at the half in the quarterfinals against ETSU, but out-scored the Bucs 46-22 in the final frame. A-Sun All-Conference forward Adam Pegg and guard Chris Perez give the Hatters a lethal inside-out combo that is the top scoring tandem in the A-Sun at 30.7 points per game. Pegg, who is sixth in the A-Sun in scoring (15.6), has reached double figures in 27 of 29 games played. One of the two times he’s been held to less than 10 points was against FGCU on Feb. 22. Perez is right behind Pegg at 15.1 points, good for seventh in the A-Sun.
ALL-TIME AGAINST STETSON
FGCU has taken five of the last seven meetings in the series, but Stetson took the last with a 80-71 victory in DeLand on Feb. 22 to split the season series. The winning team has scored 80+ points in the last four meetings while the all-time series is even at 6-6. Out of the 12 meetings, 10 have been decided by 10 points or less.
HOLD ON TIGHT
Friday night’s game showcases the top two scoring teams in the Atlantic Sun, as FGCU’s 72.7 points per night lead the way followed by Stetson’s 70.7 average. The two teams have a combined six players - three each - in the A-Sun’s top 20 scoring leaders, including four in the top 10. FGCU (3) and Stetson (4) are also two of the three teams in the A-Sun with three or more players averaging double figures. The Eagles have scored 70+ points in 15 of the last 19 games and are 6-0 when reaching the 80-point plateau. The two teams are also competing for the league’s top field goal percentage with Stetson’s even 46.0 percent slightly ahead of FGCU’s 45.9 percent clip. Under head coach ANDY ENFIELD, the Eagles are averaging 84.8 points per game (4 contests) against the Hatters.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (22-10) trail No. 9 Florida (24-5) and No. 6 Miami (23-6) for the most wins. FGCU is 8-0 against Division I teams from Florida, including one of Miami’s six losses.
(Records through Mar. 6)
Nine schools: 16 wins or fewer
WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN has put together one of the most impressive single seasons in program history, earning A-Sun Player of the Year honors and a spot on the All-Conference first team as one of two unanimous selections.
• One of two players in the top 5 in scoring (16.1/T-5th) and rebounding (7.3/5th) in A-Sun action.
• Reached double figures in a team-best 27 contests, including seven 20-point outings.
• One of three players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.2/8th) and rebounding (6.3/8th).
• First player in program history and fourth current A-Sun player to reach 1,000 points and 500 rebounds.
• First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles.
• Averaging 16.1 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 20 of last 21 true road games.
• FGCU is 10-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor more than once - has done so three times.
• Four-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 91 steals are a new program single-season record and double the amount of all but two other players in the A-Sun.
• Second in the nation in total steals with 91.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks fifth in the nation in steals per game (2.84).
• 91 steals are tied for the sixth-most in A-Sun history and 13 off the record set by Centenary’s Larry Robinson (1989-90).
• Has twice registered a career-high six steals against Stetson this season and five thefts four other times.
• Has four or more 10 times this year.
• Has a steal in 59 of 64 career games, including 45 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 91 steals have led directly to 117 FGCU points (3.7 per game), including 48 of his own.
• Currently has multiple steals in nine straight contests.
THE GREAT CHASE
Junior CHASE FIELER is posting career-highs across the board, earning him a spot on the A-Sun All-Conference second team.
• Went for team-highs of 22 points and nine rebounds in the A-Sun quarterfinal win over UNF.
• Team leader with 51 dunks.
• Has led the team in scoring 11 times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (12.2) and second in rebounding (5.3) - figures that rank 17th and 13th in the A-Sun.
• Reached double figures 24 times after doing so just 15 times during his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
• Scored in double figures in 15 of 18 A-Sun games.
• Second in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.4 per game.
• Team leader with 73 offensive rebounds and eighth in the A-Sun at 2.3 per game.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Turned in the No. 3 highlight on the Jan. 25th Sports Center Top 10 Plays with a put-back dunk against Stetson.
FGCU’S BIG THREE
FGCU leads the A-Sun in scoring at 72.7 points per game thanks to being one of three teams to have three or more players average double figures. Senior SHERWOOD BROWN (15.2), sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON (14.2) and junior CHASE FIELER (12.2) are the second-highest scoring trio in the A-Sun at 41.6 points behind Pegg, Perez and Graham of Stetson at 42.2 points per.
• Combined for 54 points in the A-Sun quarterfinal win over UNF, equaling a season-high that also came against the Ospreys on Jan. 31 and vs. Stetson on Jan. 25.
• Trio has reached double figures in the same game 14 times, including four of the last five.
• Account for 15 of the team’s 16 20 points games.
• Have a combined 77 double figures performances and one of the three has led the team in scoring in all but one game.
• FGCU is 5-1 when the trio combines for 50 or more points.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Tops in the A-Sun and 16th in the nation in assists (6.3).
• Seeking to become the fourth player in A-Sun history to lead the league in assists two straight years.
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with five games of 10 or more assists.
• A-Sun active leader with nine career double-digit assist games.
• 202 assists are tied for eighth in A-Sun single-season history.
• Ranks fifth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.7).
• Second all-time in FGCU history with 380 assists.
• Third in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.5).
• Has an assist on 53 of the team’s 128 dunks.
• Scored in double figures 11 times.
STEALIN THE SHOW
Armed with length and athleticism - traits important to head coach ANDY ENFIELD’S defensive scheme - FGCU leads the A-Sun and ranks 18th in the nation at 9.0 steals per contest. FGCU forces a league-high 16.1 turnovers per game and is a perfect 12-0 when holding teams to 60 points or less.
• The Eagles have posted double-digit steals in 16 games this season, going 13-3 in those outings.
• Led by sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 91 steals that are the second-most in the country, three FGCU players rank in the top eight in the A-Sun in thefts per game.
• In 64 games under Enfield, FGCU has 567 steals.
• In FGCU’s last six wins, teams are averaging 52.3 points.
• Over the last eight games, FGCU has given up more than 30 points in a half just five times.
START THE BT-SIGNAL
Highlighted by his 18 points in the final 12:53 against UNF in the A-Sun quarterfinals, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON (BT) has put on his cape in the second half several times this year, scoring double figures in the final 20 minutes nine times, including four of the last six.
• Averaging 10.8 points in the second half the last six contests.
• Scores 7.8 of his 14.2 points in the second half.
• Has 39 percent (52 of 134) of the team’s steals in the second half.
Seven different players registered a block in FGCU’s 67-43 win over ETSU, helping the club set a program record with 13 blocks. The 13 blocks vaulted FGCU into second in the A-Sun (3.8), as it also leads the league in steals (9.0). Junior CHASE FIELER and sophomore ERIC MCKNIGHT rank second and fifth, respectively, in the A-Sun while their combined 82 blocks are more than 97 Division I programs, including Michigan, Creighton, Butler, Oklahoma and Boston College.