Florida Gulf Coast
3/29/2013 | Arlington, Texas (Cowboys Stadium) | Attendance: 40639
|Florida Gulf Coast||26||24||50|
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||UF|
|3P FG Percentage||.364
#15 FGCU (26-10) vs. #3 Florida (28-7)
Round: NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 (South Region)
Date | Time: Friday, March 29, 2013 | 10:07 P.M.
City | Site: Arlington, Texas | Cowboys Stadium (42,614)
Talent: Marv Albert, Steve Kerr, Craig Sager
National Radio: Sirius/XM Radio & Dial Global
Talent: Brad Sham, Fran Fraschilla
Local Radio: SWFL ESPN
Radio Talent: David Moulton
Live Stats: www.NCAA.com
Twitter: @FGCU_MBB | @Pierson_SID | @MarchMadness
Hashtags: #DunkCity |#WeAreFGCU | #ASUNMBB
Current Streak: W7
Last 10: 8-2
Vs. Florida: 0-1
With A Win: NCAA Elite 8 - Sunday, March 31 (Winner of #1 Kansas vs. #4 Michigan)
At A Glance
The first No. 15 seed in NCAA Tournament history to advance to the Sweet Sixteen, FGCU will take on in-state foe No. 3 seed Florida on Friday night in Arlington, Texas at Cowboys Stadium at 10:07 p.m. ET on TBS. The meeting will mark the first time that two teams from the same state will meet in the Sweet Sixteen, while the Eagles are the first team since the 1987 Gators to win their first two NCAA Tournament games. FGCU’s seven-game win streak is the fourth-longest in the nation, while it has won 14 of its last 16 games.
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
· Averaging 11.0 points and a nation-best 12.0 assists at NCAAs.
· Produced back-to-back double-doubles vs. GTown & SDSU.
· A-Sun Tournament MVP - 21 points in championship game.
· A-Sun leader and 14th in the nation in assists per game (6.4).
· Assisted on 64 of the team’s 144 dunks.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
· Scored 23 points against Georgetown and San Diego State.
· A-Sun Defensive Player of the Year.
· National leader in total steals (102) & fourth per game (2.83).
· Program record 102 steals are second-most in A-Sun history.
· All seven 20-point games have come away from home.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
· Averaging 20.5 points and 8.5 rebounds in NCAA Tournament.
· A-Sun Player of the Year and unanimous All-Conference pick.
· A-Sun All-Tournament team; team-highs of 16.0 ppg & 8.3 rpg.
· Top 10 in the A-Sun in scoring (15.5/7th) & rebounding (6.5/8th).
· FGCU is 14-3 when he leads in scoring.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
· A-Sun All-Conference second team selection.
· A-Sun All-Tournament team; averaged 16.0 ppg & 7.0 rpg.
· Team leader with 59 dunks.
· Led the team in scoring 11 times after just twice in first two years.
· Reached double figures in 27 games.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
· Third in the A-Sun in total blocks (46) and fifth per (1.3).
· Averaging 6.6 points and 4.5 rebounds in 20.6 minutes per game.
· Second on the team with 36 dunks, including three vs. SDSU.
· 46 blocks are third in FGCU single-season history.
· Boasts a team-leading 60.8 field goal percentage.
@FGCU_MBB FAST BREAK FACTS
· A-Sun leader with 26 wins; a program D1 record.
· First No. 15 seed in NCAA Tournament history to advance to the Sweet Sixteen.
· First team since the 1987 Florida club to win its first two NCAA Tournament contests.
· Won the A-Sun Tournament in just its second year of Division I postseason eligibility.
· Snapped an 11-game A-Sun losing streak at the NCAA Tournament.
· Averaging 78.4 points in the five postseason games, including 48.6 in the second half where it hasn’t been held below 44 points.
· As a team, FGCU has 144 dunks on the season.
· 15-2 when throwing down 5+ dunks ... been held without a dunk in just two games.
· Improved to 5-1 all-time at the A-Sun Tournament, advancing to the championship game both years.
· 41 wins under head coach Andy Enfield in the last two seasons compared to 39 in the previous four campaigns.
· Won 14 of last 16 games and seven straight - 4th-longest streak.
· Haven’t trailed at the half in the last 21 of the last 22 games.
· A-Sun leader and 14th in the nation in steals (9.0), FGCU has double figure steals in 18 games (15-3) on the year.
· Haven’t trailed in nine games on the year.
· A-Sun leader in scoring (73.5), FGCU has scored 70+ points in 25 games - 18 of last 22 - and is 8-0 when scoring 80 points.
· Held a double-digit lead in 19 of the last 23 games and 27 times on the year, pushing the edge to 20+ points in eight contests.
· A perfect 13-0 when holding opponents under 60 points, including 8-0 in the A-Sun, and 9-1 when shooting 50 percent or better.
· At least three players have reached double figures in 29 of the last 31 games, highlighted by five in seven contests (7-0).
· 15-1 at Alico Arena this season, which equals the most home wins by an A-Sun team in the last five years; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
· Had a program D1-best seven-game win streak during the year.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 41-27 (2nd Season)
Overall Record: Same NCAA Tournament
Record: 2-0 (1st Appearance)
Head Coach: Billy Donovan (Providence ‘87)
Record at Florida: 414-165 (17th Season)
Overall Record: 449-185 (19th Season)
NCAA Tournament Record: 30-10 (13th Appearance)
THE ENFIELD INFLUENCE
FGCU’s 41 wins the last two seasons under coach Enfield equal the previous four seasons total. Known for his up-tempo style, Enfield’s offensive wisdom has led to 42 games (out of 68) with 70+ points, including 16 of 80+ compared to 40 performances (out of 121) of 70+ and 12 of 80+ over the previous four years (2007-11) combined.
· Florida advanced to the NCAA regional semifinals for the third consecutive season with a 78-64 victory over Minnesota.
· UF has reached the Sweet 16 in each of the past three seasons, marking the first time in program history the Gators have been to the round for three straight years.
· UF makes its 13th NCAA Tournament under head coach Billy Donovan, who holds a 30-10 record.
· The Gators earned their sixth (fourth outright) all-time SEC Championship, and fifth under Donovan.
· UF has held four opponents to 40 points or fewer, 13 under 50 points and 24 under 60 points.
· Florida owns the top scoring margin nationally (+18.2) and ranks second in scoring defense (53.8)
· UF leads the all-time series between the schools, 1-0, taking the lone meeting, 94-60, in 2008 at the O’Connell Center in Gainesville.
· Against current members of the Atlantic Sun Conference, UF holds a record of 25-1 under the direction of Donovan.
· Florida posted a 78-64 win over Minnesota last Sunday to earn a spot in the Sweet 16 for the third consecutive year. Mike Rosario led Florida’s attack with 25 points, his most as a Gator, on 8-12 shooting, including 6-of-9 from long range.
· Head coach Billy Donovan was named SEC Coach of the Year for the second time in his career (2011), earning the recognition both from the league coaches and the AP.
· This season marks the 15th straight year in which Florida has won 20 or more games, the longest such streak in the SEC and the fifth-longest in the nation (Kansas, 24; Duke, 17; Syracuse, Gonzaga, 16).
· Kenny Boynton was named second-team All-SEC by the league’s coaches, his third straight year as an all-conference performer. He also earned AP honorable mention All-SEC and All-SEC Tournament Team honors.
· Erik Murphy was tabbed first-team All-SEC by the coaches and the AP, the only Gator to receive first-team accolades this season. Also garnered All-SEC Tournament Team honors for the second straight year.
How Sweet it is! @FGCU_MBB Takes Down San Diego State
· Became the first No. 15 seed in NCAA Tournament history to advance to the Sweet Sixteen.
· First team since the 1987 Florida club to win its first two NCAA Tournament games.
· First A-Sun team to advance to the Sweet Sixteen.
· Extended win streak to seven games.
· Head coach Andy Enfield is 8-2 in March and 7-1 in the A-Sun and NCAA Tournament combined.
· Improved to 8-0 when scoring 80+ points.
· Five players reached double figures for the seventh time this season (7-0) and the third time in six games.
· Shot 56 percent from the field (33-59), improving to 10-1 when reaching the 50 percent mark.
· 13 steals marked the 18th double figure theft performance of the year, improving to 15-3.
· 17-0 second half run built the lead to as large as 19, marking the sixth straight game with a double-digit lead.
· Five dunks marked the 17th time (15-2) this season FGCU has had 5+ throwdowns in a game.
· 13 turnovers marked the 13th time in the last 16 games in which FGCU has committed 13 or less miscues.
· Passed out 21 assists, equaling a season-high established four times.
· Senior Sherwood Brown and sophomore Bernard Thompson finished as the team’s top two scorers for the 13th time this season and the second straight game.
· Thompson scored a game-high 23 points for his seventh 20-point performance away from home.
· Thompson broke the 100-steal mark on the season with five thefts, putting him just two shy of the A-Sun single-season record.
· Thompson extended his streak of consecutive halves with double figure points to four with 10 in the first half and 13 in the final 20 minutes.
· Brown’s 17 points came in a foul-plagued 26 minutes and was his team-best 31st double figure outing.
· Trio of Brown, Thompson and junior Chase Fieler accounted for 50 points for the second straight game and third time in the last five contests.
· Sophomore Brett Comer posted his second straight double-double for the first time in his career.
· Comer passed out a career-high 14 assists (7 each half) for his seventh double-digit assist game of the year.
· Comer assisted on all five of the team’s dunks.
· Junior Christophe Varidel’s 11 points marked the 10th time this year he’s reached double figures off the bench.
· Redshirt sophomore Eric McKnight equaled a career-high with four blocks and had three of the team’s five dunks.
@FGCU_MBB Runs Past Georgetown in Second Round
· Became just the 7th No. 15 seed to win a game in the NCAA Tournament (7-109).
· First A-Sun team to win an NCAA Tournament game since 2001, snapping an 11-game win streak.
· Became the fifth straight double figure seed to eliminate Georgetown.
· Head coach Andy Enfield is 7-2 in March and 6-1 in the A-Sun and NCAA Tournament combined.
· Never trailed in the second half for the fourth straight game.
· 21-2 second half run built the lead to as large as 19.
· Scored 78 points, including 54 in the second half, against Georgetown, which was the most given up by the Hoyas this season.
· Last two games have come against teams (Mercer & Georgetown) in the top 10 in scoring defense at the time of the game, in which FGCU has averaged 83 points.
· Five dunks marked the 16th time (14-2) this season FGCU has had 5+ throwdowns in a game.
· 13 turnovers marked the 12th time in the last 15 games in which FGCU has committed 13 or less miscues.
· Made 30-of-44 from the free throw line, both the makes and attempts were a season-high.
· Senior Sherwood Brown and sophomore Bernard Thompson reached double figures in the same game for the 25th time this season and the 20-point plateau together for the second time ... 12th time duo has been the top two scorers.
· Brown and Thompson’s combined 47 points were a season-best and just 8.7 off the season average given up by the Hoyas.
· Brown led the team in points (24) and rebounds (9) in the same game for the sixth time this season.
· Brown’s 24 points were his eighth 20-point game of the year.
· Brown has reached double figures a team-best 30 times.
· Brown became the program’s all-time leading rebounder with 575.
· All six of Thompson’s 20-point games have come away from home. · Thompson reached double figures in each half, bringing his season first half total to six and second half total to 11.
· Thompson’s one steal extended his streak to 16 games and moved him into a tie for second in the A-Sun single-season record book (97.)
· Brown, Thompson and junior Chase Fieler combined for 50+ points for the seventh time this year (6-1).
· Fieler’s three dunks brought his season total to 58.
· Fieler’s three blocks moved him must four away from the program single-season record (51).
· Sophomore Brett Comer’s 12 points and 10 assists were good for his first double-double of the season and third of his career.
· Comer’s 10 helpers marked his sixth double figure assist game of the season and 10th of his career - A-Sun active leader.
· 8 of Comer’s 10 assists came in the second half.
· Senior Eddie Murray played a season-high 31 minutes, scoring seven of nine points in the second half including two dunks to bring his season total to 18.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (26-10) trail only No. 5 Miami (29-6) and No. 14 Florida (28-7) for the most wins. FGCU is 9-1 against Division I teams from Florida, including one of Miami’s six losses.
(Records through Mar. 24)
Nine schools: 18 wins or fewer
FGCU’s Big three
· FGCU leads the A-Sun in scoring at 73.5 points per game thanks to being one of three teams to have three or more players average double figures. Senior Sherwood Brown (15.6), sophomore Bernard Thompson (14.5) and junior Chase Fieler (12.1) are the second-highest scoring trio in the A-Sun at 42.2 points per.
· Trio averaged 45.7 points and 22.0 rebounds at the A-Sun Tournament which was 59 percent of the team’s scoring and 56 percent of the rebounding.
· Bested a season-high with a combined 56 points in the win over Georgetown in the NCAA second round.
· Trio has reached double figures in the same game 17 times, including 8 of the last 13.
· Account for 18 of the team’s 20 20-point games.
· Have a combined 88 double figure performances out of a possible 108 and one of the three has led the team in scoring in all but two games.
· FGCU is 7-1 when the trio combines for 50 or more points.
WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU
Senior Sherwood Brown has put together one of the most impressive single seasons in program history, earning A-Sun Player of the Year honors and a spot on the All-Conference first team as one of two unanimous selections.
· Averaging 20.5 points and 8.5 rebounds in the NCAA Tournament, highlighted by 24 points against Georgetown.
· Reached double figures in a team-best 31 contests, including eight 20-point outings.
· One of three players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.6/7th) and rebounding (6.6/8th).
· First player in program history and fourth current A-Sun player to reach 1,000 points and 500 rebounds.
· All-time program leader with 583 rebounds.
· First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles and has a team-best five on the year.
· Averaging 16.1 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 21 of last 22 true road games.
· FGCU is 14-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
· Led the team in scoring in 17 games, rebounding on 15 occasions, including both in the same game seven times.
· MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
· Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor more than once - has done so three times.
· Four-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
Sophomore Bernard Thompson’s 102 steals are a new program single-season record, the most in the nation and double the amount of all but one other player in the A-Sun.
· National leader in total steals with 102.
· Leads the A-Sun and ranks fourth in the nation in steals per game (2.83).
· 102 steals are the second-most in A-Sun history and just two off the record set by Centenary’s Larry Robinson (1989-90).
· Twice registered a career-high six steals against Stetson this season and five thefts four other times.
· Has four or more 12 times this year.
· Has a steal in 63 of 68 career games, including 47 multi-steal performances.
· Reached 100 career steals in 46th game at Kennesaw State.
· His 102 steals have led directly to 136 FGCU points (3.8 per game), including 57 of his own.
· Currently has a steal in 17 straight contests.
THE GREAT CHASE
Junior Chase Fieler is posting career-highs across the board, earning him a spot on the A-Sun All-Conference second team.
· Named to the A-Sun All-Tournament team after averaging team-highs of 16.0 points and 7.0 rebounds.
· Team leader with 59 dunks.
· Has led the team in scoring 11 times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
· Third on the team in scoring (12.1) and second in rebounding (5.4) - figures that rank 17th and 13th in the A-Sun.
· Reached double figures 27 times after doing so just 15 times during his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
· Scored in double figures in 15 of 18 A-Sun games.
· Second in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.3 per game.
· Team leader with 79 offensive rebounds and ninth in the A-Sun at 2.2 per game.
· Has an offensive rebound in 34 of 36 games, highlighted by a career-high six in three contests.
· Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
· Turned in the No. 3 highlight on the Jan. 25th Sports Center Top 10 Plays with a put-back dunk against Stetson.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore Brett Comer is out to defend his league assist crown.
· Tops in the A-Sun and 14th in the nation in assists (6.6).
· Leads the NCAA Tournament with 12.0 assists per game.
· Posted back-to-back double-doubles against Georgetown and San Diego State, highlighted by a career-high 14 assists vs. the Aztecs.
· Seeking to become the fourth player in A-Sun history to lead the league in assists two straight years.
· A-Sun leader with seven double-digit assist performances.
· A-Sun active leader with 11 career double-digit assist games.
· 237 assists are second in A-Sun single-season history.
· Ranks third in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.9).
· Second all-time in FGCU history with 415 assists.
· Third in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.5).
· Has an assist on 64 of the team’s 144 dunks.
· Has led the team in assists 64 of 68 career games.
· Scored in double figures 14 times.
Sophomore Brett Comer doesn’t shy away from the big moment, as the FGCU point guard was named the A-Sun Tournament MVP after finishing with 21 points, five assists and three steals in the championship game against top-seeded Mercer. Comer’s 20-point performance was the fourth of his career, but his second in the A-Sun title game as he scored 20 points against Belmont in 2012.
STEALIN THE SHOW
Armed with length and athleticism - traits important to head coach Andy Enfield’s defensive scheme - FGCU leads the A-Sun and ranks 14th in the nation at 9.0 steals per contest. FGCU forces a league-high 15.8 turnovers per game and is a perfect 13-0 when holding teams to 60 points or less.
· The Eagles have posted double-digit steals in 18 games this season, going 15-3 in those outings.
· Led by sophomore Bernard Thompson’s 102 steals that are the most in the country, three FGCU players rank in the top seven in the A-Sun in thefts per.
· In 68 games under Enfield, FGCU has 602 steals.
START THE BT-SIGNAL
Highlighted by his 18 points in the final 12:53 against UNF in the A-Sun quarterfinals, sophomore Bernard Thompson (BT) has put on his cape in the second half several times this year, scoring double figures in the final 20 minutes 12 times, including seven of the last 10.
· First 30 points and 38 of 41 over the three games at the A-Sun Tournament came in the second half, going 12-of-23 from the floor and 10-of-12 at the free throw line en route to 12.7 points.
· Scored 13 points in the second half against both Georgetown and SDSU in the NCAA Tournament.
· Averaging 11.1 points in the second half the last 10 games.
· Scores 8.2 of his 14.5 points in the second half.
· Has 38 percent (59 of 156) of the team’s steals in the second half.
IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF
Thanks to his last two seasons under head coach Andy Enfield, senior Sherwood Brown has become the first player in program history to accumulate 1,000 points and 500 rebounds. There are three other active players in the A-Sun who have accomplished the feat: Torrey Craig (USC Upstate), Markeith Cummings (Kennesaw State) and Andy Diaz (UNF). He is currently second all-time in points and against Georgetown became the all-time leading rebounder.
Senior Sherwood Brown and sophomore Bernard Thompson give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the third-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 30.1 points, 11.1 rebounds and 4.3 steals.
· Averaging a combined 43.5 points in the NCAA Tournament.
· One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Brown is seventh at 15.6 points per game, while Thompson is ninth at 14.5 points per night.
· Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford and against Georgetown, combining for a season-high 47 points vs. the Hoyas.
· The duo has reached double figures in same game 26 times, led the team in scoring in 23 of the 36 games and have been the top two scorers 13 times.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 30.8 ppg
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 30.5 pgg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 30.1 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 29.8 ppg
Seniors Sherwood Brown and Eddie Murray are just the second and third players, respectively, in program history to play all four seasons at the Division I level. Between them, the duo has played in a combined 238 games, helping the Eagles make a run to the A-Sun title game in their first season of eligibility in 2012 and a 26-win A-Sun championship campaign this year.
WHITE MEN CAN JUMP
FGCU’s up-tempo style has yielded plenty of highlight-reel dunks out of the team’s 144 jams this season. On Feb. 22 at Stetson, senior Eddie Murray found his way onto SportCenter’s Top 10 Plays that night with a put-back dunk. Murray’s dunk earned the No. 9 spot on the Top 10 and was the second FGCU throwdown to make the Top 10 this year. Junior Chase Fieler, who leads the team with 59 dunks, made SportCenter’s Top 10 at No. 3 with a jam at home against the Hatters on Jan. 25.