Eagles Head to Nashville for a Pair of A-Sun Matches
Thursday, October 23, 2008

FORT MYERS, Fla. - The FGCU men's soccer team looks to rebound after a tough loss to Jacksonville as they head to Nashville, Tenn. to take on Belmont and Lipscomb this weekend.

Series Information: 2nd Meeting Belmont leads 1-0; 2nd Meeting Lipscomb leads 1-0

Last Meeting Between Belmont and FGCU: 10/21/07 Belmont 1, FGCU 0
The FGCU men’s soccer team lost its fourth A-Sun contest of the season, dropping a 1-0 decision to the Belmont Bruins Sunday afternoon at North Collier Regional Park in Naples, Fla.

The first period was played even and ended with the teams heading into halftime scoreless. FGCU (6-8-1, 2-4-1 A-Sun) outshot Belmont (5-7-2, 2-4-1 A-Sun) 6-5 and lost the corner kick battle 1-0 in the first period.

The play in the second period mirrored that of the first, until the 77th minute when Belmont’s Wade Wonderlin had his shot blocked and Navarda Heath got the rebound and slipped a shot past Adam Glick (Leola, Pa.) to give the Bruins a 1-0 with 13 minutes left in regulation.

FGCU made a strong push over the final 13 minutes, but their efforts to tie the game and go into overtime came up short and the Eagles fell by the final score of 1-0.

Belmont’s Ron Gravely tallied four saves and Glick notched four stops for FGCU. The Eagles outshot the Bruins 18-10 and won the corner kick battle 5-1. Colin Gill (Plant City, Fla.) led the Eagles with four shots.


Last Meeting Between Lipscomb and FGCU: 10/19/07 Lipscomb 2, FGCU 0
The FGCU men’s soccer team lost its third A-Sun contest of the season, dropping a 2-0 decision to the Lipscomb Bison Friday night at the FGCU Soccer Field.

FGCU (6-7-1, 2-3-1 A-Sun) was without starters Anthony Forde (Odessa, Fla.), Colin Gill (Plant City, Fla.) and Matt Piccoli (Selden, N.Y.). Forde and Gill each received their fifth yellow card of the season in the game vs. UNF on Oct. 14., which resulted in a one game suspension (NCAA Rule). Piccoli is likely out for the season after suffering a broken foot in practice two days prior to Friday’s game.

The Bison (5-6-2, 5-1-1 A-Sun) got on the board first in the first minute of the game when Miguel DaSilva scored a goal when he blocked Adam Glick’s (Leola, Pa.) clearance into the goal. Lipscomb would add another goal in the 27th minute when Kelvin Terry sent a pass to Ben Page, who knocked a header into the bottom right corner of the goal.

The first period ended with Lipscomb taking a 2-0 lead going into halftime. FGCU was outshot 9-3 and lost the corner kick battle 3-0 in the first period.

The second half was played fairly even with both teams being unable to capitalize on any of their shots on goal. FGCU managed five shots in the second period, while Lipscomb had two shots in the period.

Lipscomb’s goalkeeper Jake Goergen tallied three saves while Glick notched three stops for FGCU. The Eagles were outshot 11-8 and lost the corner kick battle 6-1. Diego Meneses (Coral Springs, Fla.) led the Eagles in shots (2), while Jonathan Koshko (New Port Richey, Fla.), Corey Sheriff (Coral Springs, Fla.) and Trent Anderson (Tampa, Fla.) led the team with one shot on goal apiece.