Men's Soccer Falls to ETSU, 2-1
Sunday, October 16, 2011 | by Caleb Baker (@calebaker)
Florida Gulf Coast ( 6-4-2 (3-1-0 A-Sun))
ETSU ( 8-4-2 (2-3-1 A-Sun))
10/16/2011 | Johnson City, Tenn. | Attendance: 322
Florida Gulf Coast101
FGCU28:16PORTILLO, Josey (CRESPO, Federico )
ETSU52:09DYKES, Nick (FUBARA, Itode )
ETSU56:58GENO, David (WOODRUFF, Blaike )
FGCUGLICK, Adam90:0024
ETSUCOULTER, Ryan90:0015
Stats at a GlanceFGCUETSU
Shots (on Goal)12 (6)15 (6)
Corner Kicks29
Yellow Cards10

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. – After moving ahead 1-0 in the 29th minute of play, the FGCU men’s soccer team surrendered two unanswered second half goals to fall to ETSU, 2-1, in an Atlantic Sun Conference match on Sunday afternoon in Johnson City, Tenn. Senior midfielder Josey Portillo (Metairie, La./Grace King HS) provided the lone goal in the contest for the Eagles.

“ETSU came out like they were playing for their season and tournament lives this afternoon and it really showed,” said fifth-year head coach Bob Butehorn. “It was a really physical match which could have gone either way, but today they had better opportunities and took advantage of them.”

The Green and Blue’s record dropped to 6-4-2 this season, including a 3-1 mark in A-Sun play. The loss snapped the Eagles’ 12-game A-Sun winning streak, as well as, the six-game road winning streak against league foes, both of which date back to last season. ETSU improved its mark to 8-4-2 (2-3-1 A-Sun) this season.

FGCU opened the scoring on the afternoon when Portillo found the back of the net at the 28:16 mark. Freshman defender Federico Crespo (Heredia, Costa Rica/St. Paul College/Universidad Latina) dribbled the ball down the left side and played a cross into the box, which was sent home on a header by Portillo to give the Eagles the early 1-0 lead. It was Portillo’s second goal of the season, moving him into the team-lead for points with nine. Crespo also picked up his first collegiate point with the assist on the play.

The one-goal lead would hold to the intermission, however, the Bucs held the lead in both shots, 10-6, and corners, 4-0. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Adam Glick (Leola, Pa./Conestoga Valley HS) was forced to make three of his four saves in the opening period of play.

As the second half resumed the Eagles tightened their defensive effort, holding the Bucs to just five shots in the frame. However, ETSU was able to find the back of the net twice in a four minute span, as Nick Dyles netted the Bucs’ first goal on a corner kick header in the 53rd minute, and was followed by David Geno’s eventual game-winner on a cross into the box at the 56:58 mark.

For the game, ETSU held the advantage in shots, 15-12, and corners, 9-2. ETSU’s keeper Ryan Coulter picked up five saves in the contest.

The Eagles return home for the first of three straight A-Sun contest at the FGCU Soccer Complex on Friday, Oct. 21 against Lipscomb beginning at 7 p.m. Live stats, in-game Twitter updates (@FGCUMensSoccer and @FGCUEagles), results and recaps will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com.