FGCU Men's Soccer Rallies to Defeat Howard in OT
Sunday, November 04, 2007
Matt O'Shaughnessy scored two goals on the afternoon for the Eagles, including the game-winner in OT.
Matt O'Shaughnessy scored two goals on the afternoon for the Eagles, including the game-winner in OT.

Fort Myers, Fla. - The Florida Gulf Coast University men's soccer team rallied from a 1-0 deficit to defeat Howard 2-1 in OT to win the final home game of the program’s inaugural season.

The Eagles improve to 8-9-1 overall, while the Bison fall to 3-7-5.

The Bison got on the board first in the 41st minute of the game when Joel Senior received a pass from Guilherme and knocked a header past a diving Adam Glick (Leola, Pa.) and into the bottom right corner of the goal.

The first period ended with Howard taking a 1-0 lead going into halftime. FGCU outshot Howard 9-4 and won the corner kick battle 4-0 in the first half.

The second half was played fairly even until the 72nd minute when Anthony Forde (Odessa, Fla.) sent a pass to Matt O’Shaughnessy (Trinity, Fla.), who blasted a header past the Howard keeper and into the top left corner of the goal, tying the game at 1-1.

Both teams had opportunities to score in the final minutes, but all scoring attempts came up short and the second period ended with the teams tied at 1-1.

In the overtime period, O’Shaughnessy made his presence felt again. Corey Sheriff (Coral Springs, Fla.) flicked a ball on to O’Shaughnessy, who then beat the Howard keeper to the ball and knocked in the game-winner only 2:51 into the overtime. The goal was O’Shaughnessy’s fourth of the season and the first game-winning goal of his career.

“I saw Corey hit the ball out wide,” said freshman Matt O’Shaughnessy. “He looked up and we met eyes. He knew exactly where I was going, so I cut through and knew that their goalie would come out because he had done it the entire game. I knew that if I beat the goalie to the ball I would have an open goal and would be able to win the game.”

Howard’s Victor Thomas tallied nine saves while Glick notched four stops for FGCU. The Eagles outshot the Bison 16-9 and won the corner kick battle 6-1. O’Shaughnessy led the Eagles in shots (5) and both O’Shaughnessy and Diego Meneses (Coral Springs, Fla.) tied for the team lead in shots on goal (3).

The Eagles will wrap-up their inaugural season Wednesday, Nov. 7 when they travel to Florida International in Miami, Fla. to take on the Golden Panthers. The match-up is set to begin at 7 p.m.