|Men's Soccer » News||» News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics » Archive|
Eagles Take Down Fairfield, 3-1
The Eagles improve to 2-4-1, while the Stags fall to 2-3-0.
The Eagles got on the board first in the 25th minute of the game when Josey Portillo (Metairie, La.) and Scott Harrison (Cocoa, Fla.) teamed up to find Matt O'Shaughnessy (Trinity, Fla.) in front of the goal. O'Shaughnessy received a pass from Harrison and scored on a powerful shot that slipped by the keeper and into the low corner of the goal.
The first period ended with the Eagles leading Fairfield 1-0. FGCU outshot the Stags nine to seven in the first period.
In the 51st minute, the Eagles added to their lead as Manuel Gonzalez (Pompano Beach, Fla.) scored off a free kick.
Fairfield would end FGCU's hopes of a shutout in the 71st when Tom Clements sent a cross from the left side and found Chris Boyer, who sent a header into the top right corner of the goal.
The young Eagles weathered Fairfield's push and increased their lead in the 75th minute as Portillo and Francesco DiStefano (Kissimmee, Fla.) teamed up and found Tyler Sharpe (Merritt Island, Fla.) at the top of the box to give the Eagles the 3-1 lead.
FGCU would control the final 15 minutes of action and earned their second victory of the season.
FGCU starting keeper Adam Glick (Leola, Pa.) recorded seven saves, playing solid in goal. He had a few key close-range saves and anchored the FGCU defense. The Eagles outshot Fairfield 16-11, while both teams managed nine shots on goal.
- FGCU is now 2-0-0 this season when they are leading at halftime
- FGCU is now 2-0-0 this season when they score first
- Manuel Gonzalez and Matt O'Shaughnessy are tied for the team lead in goals (2)
- Scott Harrison and Josey Portillo now have three assists apiece on the season
- Tyler Sharpe's goal was the 1st of his collegiate career
- Adam Glick's seven saves are the most he has had this season