Men's Soccer Takes A-Sun Opener on Portillo's OT Header
Saturday, October 02, 2010

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The FGCU men’s soccer team opened Atlantic Sun competition with a 2-1 overtime victory over Lipscomb on Friday evening in Nashville, Tenn. Freshman Ryan Price (Melbourne Beach, Fla./Melbourne HS) tied the game at one apiece midway through the first half, and junior Josey Portillo (Metairie, La./Grace King HS) claimed the victory with the decisive goal in the first overtime period.

The Blue and Green bring their record to 5-2-2 (1-0 A-Sun) in the 2010 campaign, and 13-13-2 all-time in A-Sun competition. Meanwhile, Lipscomb drops to 4-5 overall and 0-1 in conference play.

“Anytime you go on the road for your first conference game it's difficult,” said reigning A-Sun Coach of the Year Bob Butehorn. “We had a tough call go against us in the first half which allowed Lipscomb to get a lead, but I’m happy with the way the guys responded, and we were able to come away with the overtime victory.”

With the game still in question at the end of 90 minutes, the game was decided just 1:47 into the extra frame. A 30-yard free kick was dropped into the box off the boot of sophomore Deion Jones (Tampa, Fla./Freedom HS) and buried into the back of the goal on a outstanding header by Portillo, claiming the victory for the Eagles on his second in as many games.

In the contest, the Bisons would be the first to touch the back of the net on a penalty shot in the 14th minute of play. An FGCU foul inside the box allowed Garrett McLaughlin to take advantage of his one-on-one opportunity with keeper Adam Glick (Leola, Pa./Conestoga Valley HS), for his third goal of the season and an early 1-0 lead.

Just a few minutes later, Price brought the game level once again with his third collegiate goal at the 17:14 mark. As the ball ricocheted off both the Lipscomb defender and keeper, it found the foot of Price who returned it passed the net-minder to notch the game at 1-1.

With FGCU holding a slight 6-5 advantage in shots and Lipscomb leading 4-2 in corners, the teams headed to the intermission in a 1-1 deadlock.

Both teams remained scoreless throughout the second half of play, as the game headed to extra time with the Lipscomb claiming the shot tally, 10-8, and the corner kick battle, 9-4. The extra frame was short-lived as Portillo recorded the golden goal in just the second minute of overtime.

Glick recorded three saves in the contest, all of which came in the second half, en route to his 19th career victory in net. Lipscomb’s Brent McGee registered just one first half save in the contest.

The regionally-ranked Eagles will wrap up the two-game road trip in Nashville with a Sunday afternoon meeting against A-Sun foe Belmont at 1:05 p.m. Falling 1-0 to Stetson this evening, the Bruins bring a 3-6 record (0-1 A-Sun) into the matchup.