No. 22 FGCU Battles Back to Earn 1-1 Draw at Portland
Saturday, September 03, 2011
#22 Florida Gulf Coast (0-1-1)
Portland (1-0-1)
9/2/2011 | Portland, Ore. | Attendance: 1784
1st2nd1OT 2OT Final
Florida Gulf Coast01001
POR58:25GRUBISICH, Keith (BARBAREE, Connor )
FGCU84:48SARRIS, Yianni (PRICE, Ryan )
FGCUGLICK, Adam110:0011
PORBAARTS, Justin110:0016
Stats at a GlanceFGCUPOR
Shots (on Goal)17 (7)13 (2)
Corner Kicks68
Yellow Cards30

PORTLAND, Ore. – Behind an equalizing goal from freshman Yianni Sarris (Mentor, Ohio/Cleveland Saint Ignatius HS) in the 85th minute, the No. 22 FGCU men’s soccer team battled back to earn a 1-1 double overtime draw at Portland on Friday night at Merlo Field on the first night of the Portland Nike Invitational.

The tie is the first in the last 14 games for the Eagles, who see their record move to 0-1-1 on the young season. Portland is now 1-0-1 after opening the season with a 2-1 victory at rival Oregon State.

“It was a very competitive game in which I think we controlled much of the pace of play in a great environment for soccer,” said head coach Bob Butehorn. “I thought our team put pressure on them and create some good scoring chances. All-in-all I’m upset with the tie, but pleased that we fought hard.”

The opening 45 minutes saw Portland supply the early pressure, taking three of the first four corner kicks of the game that resulted in a 4-1 shot edge in the first 30 minutes. FGCU senior keeper Adam Glick (Leola, Pa./Conestoga Valley HS) was forced to make his only save of the game during the Pilots’ fast start.

FGCU rallied with seven shots in the last 15 minutes, highlighted by senior Josey Portillo’s (Metairie, La./Grace King HS) scoring chance in the 30th minute. Portillo was able to connect on a heel flick off a corner by Francesco DiStefano (Kissimmee, Fla./Osceola HS), but the shot was saved by Portland keeper Justin Baarts, one of his four in the first half.

Despite holding a shot advantage for a majority of the game and controlling most of the play, the Eagles found themselves trailing 1-0 in the second half after a goal by Keith Grubisich at the 58:25 mark.

Sarris’ first career goal put an end to the Pilots’ lead, as sophomore Ryan Price (Melbourne Beach, Fla./Melbourne HS) used a pair of good touches to get around a defender and leave the ball for Sarris who knotted the game at 1-1 with a shot into the low left corner.

“I think the shot may have caught their keeper off-guard a little bit, but it was a great shot,” Butehorn said. “Yianni came in and gave us some great minutes tonight. We had a lot of guys battle through the entire duration of the game so I’m very pleased with the effort.”

Neither team mustered many chances in the extra 20 minutes, as Portland recorded the only four shots with none delivering on frame.

For the game, FGCU held a 17-13 edge in shots, including seven on frame compared to just two by the Pilots.

FGCU will conclude its stay in Portland on Sunday at 3 p.m. ET when it takes on Washington (2-0). The Huskies used a goal in the 95th minute of the first overtime to take down Loyola-Chicago in the first game on Friday evening.