FGCU Men's Tennis Blanks Saint Leo
SAINT LEO, Fla. – The #17 Florida Gulf Coast University men’s tennis team blanked Saint Leo 9-0 in the season-opening match Saturday afternoon.
FGCU’s top six players won two matches apiece. Senior Richard Stempnowski (Cape Coral, FL), the sixth ranked player in Division II, and senior Jose Pastrello (Limeira, Brazil) teamed up for a win at the No.1 doubles and then came through with victories at No. 1 and No.2 singles, respectively. Junior Juan Carlos Osorio (Quito, Ecuador) and junior Tim Offerman (Hamburg, Germany) had similar success, teaming up at No. 2 doubles and picking up wins at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, respectively.
Senior Seth Fogelman (Naples, FL) and freshman Gavin Manders (Warwick, Bermuda) also collected a pair of victories in No. 5 and No. 6 singles as well as the No. 3 doubles spot.
The Eagles host Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, ranked No. 9 in NAIA, on Tuesday at noon in the home opener at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
1. Richard Stempnowski (FGCU) def. Mike DiGiacomo (SL) 6-0, 6-0
2. Jose Pastrello (FGCU) def. Ali Elnaamani (SL) 6-3, 6-2
3. Juan Carlos Osorio (FGCU) def. Adrian Nakayama (SL) 6-2, 6-2
4. Tim Offerman (FGCU) def. Dan Steele (SL) 6-3, 6-3
5. Seth Fogelman (FGCU) def. David Farinez (SL) 6-2, 6-1
6. Gavin Manders (FGCU) def. Mohammed Elnaamani (SL) 6-4, 6-3
1. Stempnowski/Pastrello (FGCU) def. DiGiacomo/Farinez (SL) 8-1
2. Osorio/Offerman def. Nakayama/A. Elnaamani (SL) 8-1
3. Fogelman/Manders (FGCU) def. M. Elnaamnai/Anas Aldahoud (SL) 8-1
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.