FGCU Men's Tennis Falls to #3 Barry
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The eighth-ranked Florida Gulf Coast University men’s tennis team fell to fifth-ranked Barry University 5-4 Saturday afternoon in the final home match of the season at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
The Eagles (17-4) won two of three doubles matches to take a 2-1 lead. The No. 19 ranked team of seniors Richard Stempnowski (Cape Coral, Fla.) and Jose Pastrello (Limeira, Brazil) knocked off the No. 18 team of Thomas Hipp and Alex Praderas at the top position, 8-5. Barry came back and won at the second position as Martin Jensen and Sebastian Losavio beat the Eagles’ Seth Fogelman (Naples, Fla.) and sophomore Alberto Gutierrez (Bogota, Columbia) 8-5. Juan Carlos Osorio (Quito, Ecuador) and Tim Offerman (Hamburg, Germany) improved to 17-2 with an 8-5 victory for FGCU in the third spot.
Barry came back to capture four of the six singles matches to improve to 13-1. Only senior Richard Stempnowski at No. 1 singles and Offerman at No. 6 were able to pick up singles victories for the Eagles.
Stempnowski, ranked seventh in singles play, won in two sets, 6-3 and 7-5, over 12th-ranked Losavio to improve to 19-2 in dual match play. Offerman cruised past Praderas 6-1, 6-2 to improve his individual dual match record 14-5.
FGCU will travel to No. 4 ranked Lynn University on Monday afternoon at 2 p.m. in the regular season finale.
1. Richard Stempnowski (FGCU) def. Sebastian Losavio (BU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Thomas Hipp (BU) def. Jose Pastrello (FGCU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Patrick Rittenauer (BU) def. Juan Carlos Osorio (FGCU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Manuel Lauter (BU) def. Alberto Gutierrez (FGCU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
5. Martin Jensen (BU) def. Seth Fogelman (FGCU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Tim Offerman (FGCU) def. Praderas (BU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Stempnowski/Pastrello (FGCU) def. Hipp/Praderas (BU) 8-5
2. Jensen/Losavio (BU) def. Fogelman/Gutierrez (FGCU) 8-5
3. Osorio/Offerman (FGCU) def. Rittenauer/Rodriguez (BU) 8-5
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.