Men's Tennis Falls in NCAA First Round
Boca Raton, Fla.—The #15 Florida Southern College men’s tennis team topped #9 Florida Gulf Coast University by the score of 5-2 in the NCAA Division II Southeast Region Semifinals.
The Moccasins (14-11) will now advance to the championship match tomorrow at 1 p.m. against #5 host Lynn University in a rematch of the 2005 final.
Taking the quick lead in doubles competition, the Mocs’ Milos Koprivica and Isaac Galindo downed Alberto Gutierrez and Gavin Manders 8-3 at the second position to earn the first point. Adam Flintoff and Greg Heartt took down Danny Lee and Edson Lima 8-5 at the third spot to give the Mocs to 2-0 advantage. The Eagles got on the board as Juan Carlos Osorio and Tim Offerman pulled out a 9-8 (7-4) victory over Alex Thesleff and Michael Knoedler at the top position.
The Eagles (16-6) tied the match with a win at No. 6 singles as Lima overpowered Dustin Dixon 6-0, 6-2. Taking control from there, the Mocs’ Knoedler defeated Offerman at the second spot 6-4, 6-2 as Thesleff put away Lee 6-3, 6-3 at the fifth position. With the deciding point, Galindo finished with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Manders at the fourth spot.
#15 Florida Southern 5, #9 Florida Gulf Coast 2
1. Juan Carlos Osorio (FGCU) def. Milos Koprivica (FSM) 6-4, 5-5, unfinished
2. Michael Knoedler (FSM) def. Tim Offerman (FGCU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Alberto Gutierrez (FGCU) def. Adam Flintoff (FSM) 6-2, 6-5, unfinished
4. Isaac Galindo (FSM) def. Gavin Manders (FGCU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Alex Thesleff (FSM) def. Danny Lee (FGCU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Edson Lima (FGCU) def. Dusty Dixon (FSM) 6-0, 6-2
1. Juan Carlos Osorio/Tim Offerman (FGCU) def. Michael Knoedler/Alex Thesleff (FSM) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Milos Koprivica/Isaac Galindo (FSM) def. Gavin Manders/Alberto Gutierrez (FGCU) 8-3
3. Adam Flintoff/Greg Heartt (FSM) def. Edson Lima/Danny Lee (FGCU) 8-5
Courtesy Lynn University Sports Information
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.