FGCU Men's Tennis Knocks Off Jacksonville, 4-3
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU men’s tennis team earned a hard-fought 4-3 victory over Jacksonville University on Saturday morning at the FGCU Tennis Complex. The Eagles improve to 2-6 on the season and 1-2 in Atlantic Sun competition.
The Blue and Green grabbed the doubles point with the teams of Rock/Aime and Checcia/Leitz winning on courts one and two.
In singles action, five of the six matches went three sets, with Mitchell Lvovsky (Dania Beach, Fla.) winning at No. 6 singles, 6-0, 6-2, in the only two-set match of the day. The Dolphins earned wins on courts one, two, and three, but the Eagles were able to grab victories on courts four and five, clinching a 4-3 win. Matthew Rock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) took down Jaime Esteban, 2-6, 6-3, 6-0, and Sergio Rebolledo (Fort Myers, Fla.) defeated Von Oertzen, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4.
“We’re pleased to get a conference win today against an opponent that battled very hard,” head coach J. Webb Horton said. “One of the things we emphasized was how important the doubles point is, and today was a good example of that. Our focus is now on getting another conference victory against Kennesaw State on Monday.”
The Eagles return to the FGCU Tennis Complex on Monday, Mar. 8, at 2 p.m. when they will take on Atlantic Sun foe Kennesaw State.
1. Rock/Aime (FGCU) def. Fantova/Garcia (JU) 8-6
2. Checchia/Leitz (FGCU) def. Shalmi/Esteban (JU) 8-2
3. Vaz/Oertzen (JU) def. Echeverry/Rebolledo (FGCU) 8-7
1. Vaz (JU) def. Aime (FGCU) 7-6 (5), 5-7, 7-5
2. Fantova (JU) def. Checchia (FGCU) 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-1
3. Garcia (JU) def. Leitz (FGCU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4. Rock (FGCU) def. Esteban (JU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
5. Rebolledo (FGCU) def. Oertzen (JU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
6. Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Shalmi (JU) 6-0, 6-2
|Copyright ©2013 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|