No. 75 Troy Slips by Eagles, 4-3
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU men’s tennis narrowly lost to the nation’s No. 75 ranked team, the Troy Trojans, on Saturday afternoon. The two teams split the six singles matches, but Troy won the doubles point to earn a 4-3 win. With the loss, the Eagles fall to 3-8 on the season, while Troy improves to 11-3.
The Trojans claimed the doubles point thanks to a tiebreak victory on court one. Luis Henrique Grangeiro and Mario Silva barely held off Matthew Rock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) and Thibaud Aime (Figeac, France) to win, 9-8 (5).
In singles play, the Eagles claimed victories on courts one, three, and four. Aime knocked off Grangeiro at position no. 1, 7-6 (5), 6-4, and Rock defeated Xavier Masson in a three-set match on court four, 6-4, 1-6, 7-5. On court three, Sebastian Leitz (Nimes, France) defeated Branko Weber in a third-set tiebreak, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 10-7.
“We’re pleased to have pushed a team of Troy’s caliber as much as we did, splitting the singles matches,” head coach J. Webb Horton said. “But we let a huge opportunity slip away at doubles. One of our main goals this year is to win the doubles point, and today’s match is a perfect illustration of just how important that one point is.”
The Eagles are back in action on Tuesday, March 16, when they host South Alabama. The match is set to begin at 2 p.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
1. Grangeiro/Silva (TU) def. Rock/Aime (FU) 9-8 (5)
2. Checchia/Leitz (FGCU) def. Weber/Masson (TU) 8-5
3. Sahadi/Rouchdi (TU) def. Lvovsky/Rebolledo (FGCU) 8-1
1. Thibaud Aime (FGCU) def. Luis Henrique Grangeiro (TU) 7-6 (5), 6-4
2. Aurelien Tave (TU) def. Carlo Checchia (FGCU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Sebastian Leitz (FGCU) def. Branko Weber (TU) 7-6 (4), 4-6, 10-7
4. Matthew Rock (FGCU) def. Xavier Masson (TU) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
5. Mario Silva (TU) def. Sergio Rebolledo (FGCU) 7-6 (1), 6-1
6. Guilherme Sahadi (TU) def. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU) 6-4, 6-0
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|