FGCU Men's Tennis Falls to South Alabama
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU men’s tennis lost 7-0 to the South Alabama Jaguars on Tuesday afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex. With the loss, the Eagles fall to 3-9 on the season, while the Jaguars improve to 6-6.
South Alabama swept all three doubles matches to claim the doubles point, and the Jaguars went on to win all six singles matches.
Sebastian Leitz (Nimes, France) was the only Eagle to force a third set tiebreak, but he lost to Alexandre Bernard, 7-6 (5), 4-6, 10-2. Each of the other five singles matches were settled in two sets.
“We played pretty well in doubles today, and we battled them better in singles today than we did when we faced them a couple of months ago in Tallahassee,” head coach J. Webb Horton said. “The USA coaches commented to me that they were impressed with our improvement in a relatively short amount of time. In the end, they were just a better team today.”
The Eagles return to the courts tomorrow afternoon when they host the New Jersey Institute of Technology. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
1. Bernard/Kuehne (USA) def. Rock/Aime (FGCU) 8-6
2. Bartsch/Bocaert (USA) def. Checchia/Leitz (FGCU) 8-6
3. Kruger/Viel (USA) def. Lvovsky/Echeverry (FGCU) 8-2
1. Bocaert (USA) def. Aime (FGCU) 6-3, 7-5
2. No. 99 Viel (USA) def. Checchia (FGCU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Bernard (USA) def. Leitz (FGCU) 7-6 (5), 4-6, 10-2
4. Bartsch (USA) def. Rock (FGCU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Kruger (USA) def. Lvovsky (FGCU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Seur (USA) def. Echeverry (FGCU) 6-3, 6-2
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|