FGCU Men's Tennis Earns Split on Nashville Road Swing
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The FGCU men’s tennis team split its two matches in Nashville, Tenn. this weekend, with both matches ending in a 4-3 result. The Eagles came up on the losing end at Lipscomb on Friday afternoon before beating Belmont on Saturday morning. The Blue and Green now stand at 4-11 on the season with a 3-4 record in A-Sun play.
Lipscomb (4-6, 1-4) claimed the doubles point, winning two of the three doubles matches, to take a 1-0 lead.
In singles play, the Eagles earned a split of the six matches, winning on courts one, three, and four. Thibaud Aime (Figeac, France) made quick work of Chad Pierron, 6-0, 6-1, on court one. Sebastian Leitz (Nimes, France) defeated James Murrell on court three, 7-6 (5), 6-4, and Matthew Rock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) won a three-set marathon on court four, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Against Belmont (4-9, 0-6), the Blue and Green earned the doubles point and a 1-0 lead thanks to a 9-7 victory on court one by Aime and Rock after the two teams split matches on courts two and three.
In singles action, FGCU again split the six singles matches. Aime won once again, defeating Joao Paoliello, 6-4, 6-3, to improve to 7-7 on the year. Rock also cruised to a victory, winning 6-2, 6-3, on court four, and Mitchell Lvovsky clinched the match for the Eagles with a 7-5, 6-1 defeat of Bruno Silva on court six.
The Eagles will be back in action Thursday, March 25, when they take on Mercer. That will be Senior Day, where seniors Thibaud Aime, Raphael Costa (Brasilia, Brazil), and Gonzalo Rafael De Villa (Miami, Fla.) will be honored prior to the start of the match. The match is set to begin at 2 p.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
FGCU vs. Lipscomb
1. Aime/Rock (FGCU) def. Hangstefer/McArdle (LIP) 8-5
2. Pierron/Brown (LIP) def. Leitz/Checchia (FGCU) 8-5
3. Shaw/Hernandez (LIP) def. Lvovsky/Rebolledo (FGCU) 8-5
1. Aime (FGCU) def. Pierron (LIP) 6-0, 6-1
2. Hangstefer (LIP) def. Checchia (FGCU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Leitz (FGCU) def. Murrell (LIP) 7-6 (5), 6-4
4. Rock (FGCU) def. Hernandez (LIP) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Shaw (LIP) def. Rebolledo (FGCU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Brown (LIP) def. Lvovsky (FGCU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
FGCU vs. Belmont
1. Aime/Rock (FGCU) def. Matos/Antun (BEL) 9-7
2. Leitz/Checchia (FGCU) def. Amaral/Lima (BEL) 8-5
3. Paoliello/Murrell (BEL) def. Echeverry/Rebolledo (FGCU) 8-5
1. Aime (FGCU) def. Paoliello (BEL) 6-4, 6-3
2. Antun (BEL) def. Checchia (FGCU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Amaral (BEL) def. Leitz (FGCU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Rock (FGCU) def. Lima (BEL) 6-2, 6-3
5. Matos (BEL) def. Rebolledo (FGCU) 6-1, 7-5
6. Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Silva (BEL) 7-5, 6-1
|Copyright ©2013 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|