Men's Tennis Drops Close A-Sun Contest with KSU, 4-3
KENNESAW, Ga. – The FGCU men’s tennis team dropped a closely contested dual match with Kennesaw State, 4-3, on Friday afternoon in Kennesaw, Ga. Senior Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University), junior Matthew Rock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Jacksonville University) and freshman Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) each earned singles victories.
The loss dropped FGCU to 2-9 (0-4 A-Sun) this spring, while the win improved Kennesaw State to 7-6 (2-1 A-Sun) on the season.
“We didn’t execute very well in doubles play today and it put us in a hole to start off the match,” said head coach J. Webb Horton. “I felt that we put ourselves in position to control our own destiny in singles and we simply let this one get away. We have to move forward from this tough loss and turn our focus toward Mercer tomorrow morning.”
In doubles action, the Owls swept all three doubles matches to record the opening point of the match.
The Eagles wouldn’t go away quietly as they took three of the first five singles matches to tie the match at 3-3. In the No. 2 spot, Rock recorded a win over Simon Janik, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2, to open the scoring for the Blue and Green and was followed with victories by Checchia, 6-1, 6-1, over Elliot Kahler at No. 4, and Tsamas, 7-6, 6-0 over Gokalp Ozdemir in No. 5 singles.
With the score level at 3-3, the match would come down to the No. 6 matchup. KSU’s Ryan Spencer grabbed the first set in a tiebreak 7-6, but senior Mitchell Lvovsky (Dania Beach, Fla./Keystone HS/Wingate University) responded in the second, 6-3. In the third set, Lvovsky would come out on the wrong side of the 7-6 result, as Spencer recorded the win, 7-6, 3-6, 7-6, and Kennesaw State took the 4-3 dual victory.
The Eagles now head to Mercer for their second dual in as many days on Saturday at 10 a.m. The Bears are coming off a Friday victory over Stetson, 5-2, which improved their record to 5-6 (2-1 A-Sun). Results and recaps from the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Gianni Kubin (KSU) def. Gabriel Echeverry (FGCU), 6-2, 7-6
2. Matthew Rock (FGCU) def. Simon Janik (KSU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Tyler Mills (KSU) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Carlo Checchia (FGCU) def. Elliot Kahler (KSU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. Gokalp Ozdemir (KSU), 7-6, 6-0
6. Ryan Spencer (KSU) def. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU), 7-6, 3-6, 7-6
1. Kahler and Janik (KSU) def. Rock and Echeverry (FGCU), 8-2
2. Kubin and Ozdemir (KSU) def. Lvovsky and Collin Brown (FGCU), 8-1
3. Spencer and Langel (KSU) def. Checchia and Tsamas (FGCU), 8-4
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|