Men's Tennis Drops 5-2 Match with UMBC
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 contest with UMBC on Monday afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex. Senior Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University) and freshman Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) each recorded singles victories in the dual meeting.
With the loss the Blue and Green fell to 3-13 (1-6 A-Sun), while UMBC improved to 10-3 on the spring.
The Eagles prevented the UMBC sweep of the opening doubles point by recording a win the No. 2 pairing. Sophomore Collin Brown (Tallahassee, Fla./Florida State University School) and senior Matthew Rock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Jacksonville University) defeated Cristian Hodel and Gaulthier Berrett, 8-7. In a tie-break, the team of Checchia and Tsamas were on the wrong side of a 9-8 result with Mwali Phiri and Joseph Adewumi in the No. 1 matchup.
FGCU earned its two scores in the afternoon’s singles action as Checchia and Tsamas were victorious in the No. 3 and No. 4 positions, respectively. Chechhia turned away Adewumi in a three-setter, 6-4, 2-6, 7-6, while Tsamas also used three sets to defeat Adam Duprat, 7-6, 4-6, 6-2.
The Blue and Green return to the courts for a Tuesday afternoon contest with Big Ten foe Northwestern beginning at 1 p.m. The Wildcats bring an 8-5 record into the dual meeting with the Eagles. Results and recaps from the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Cristian Hodel (UMBC) def. Matthew Rock (FGCU), 7-6, 3-6, 6-2
2. Rasid Winklaar (UMBC) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-1, 6-3
3. Carlo Checchia (FGCU) def. Joseph Adewumi (UMBC), 6-4, 2-6, 7-6
4. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. Adam Duprat (UMBC), 7-6, 4-6, 6-2
5. Gaulthier Berret (UMBC) def. Collin Brown (FGCU), 6-0, 6-2
6. Mwali Phiri (UMBC) def. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
1. Phiri and Adewumi (UMBC) def. Checchia and Tsamas (FGCU), 9-8
2. Brown and Rock (FGCU) def. Hodel and Berret (UMBC), 8-7
3. Duprat and Winklaar (UMBC) def. Binninger and Acierno (FGCU), 8-3
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|