FORT MYERS, Fla. – The No. 12 Florida Gulf Coast University men’s tennis team won its sixth consecutive match Thursday, defeating the University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez 9-0 at the FGCU Tennis Complex. All nine matches were decided in straight sets.
FGCU swept all three doubles matches, led by seniors Richard Stempnowski (Cape Coral, FL) and Jose Pastrello (Limiera, Brazil)- ranked No.19 among Division II doubles tandems. Stempnowski and Pastrello improved to 16-2 at the No. 1 position.
At No.2 doubles, juniors Juan Carlos Osorio (Quito, Ecuador) and Tim Offerman (Hamburg, Germany) improved their record to 12-2 in doubles with an 8-4 victory.
Senior Seth Fogelman (Naples, FL) and sophomore Alberto Gutierrez (Bogota, Columbia) were victorious at No. 3 doubles to improve their mark to 8-2.
The Eagles received straight set singles victories from No.7 Stempnowski, Pastrello, Gutierrez, Offerman and Fogelman. Freshman Gavin Manders (Warwick, Bermuda) added a win at No. 6 singles.
Both Stempnowski and Fogelman continued double-digit win streaks for FGCU. The win was Stempnowski 12th straight singles victory, improving his dual match record to 15-1. Fogelman picked up his 11th consecutive singles win to move his mark to 13-2.
Five of the final six regular season opponents are ranked among the top 21 teams in the nation. FGCU (14-2) travels to No. 7 Rollins College (10-3) on Saturday at 10 a.m.
1. Richard Stempnowski (FGCU) def. Jose Bertran (MAY) 6-1, 6-0
2. Jose Pastrello (FGCU) def. Manuel Soto (MAY) 6-0, 6-2
3. Alberto Gutierrez (FGCU) def. Juan Martinez (MAY) 6-2, 6-0
4. Tim Offerman (FGCU) def. Carib Oquendo (MAY) 6-4, 6-4
5. Seth Fogelman (FGCU) def. Rafael Ubior (MAY) 6-1, 6-2
6. Gavin Manders (FGCU) def. Roberto Vega (MAY) 6-4, 6-4
1. Stempnowski/Pastrello (FGCU) def. Soto/Bertran (MAY) 8-3
2. Osorio/Offerman (FGCU) def. Martinez/Oquendo (MAY) 8-4
3. Gutierrez/Fogelman (FGCU) def. Ubior/Garcia (MAY) 8-2