FORT MYERS, Fla. – Junior Juan Carlos Osorio won his 15th consecutive singles match to propel No. 12 Florida Gulf Coast University to a 6-3 win Thursday afternoon over Eckerd College in men’s tennis action at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
Osorio, a transfer from Ventura College, improved to 15-0 in dual match play with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 3 singles over Nikola Vujovic. Senior Seth Fogelman extended his winning streak to 13 consecutive watches by knocking off Byron Kidd in two sets at No. 5 singles, 6-3 and 6-4, to improve his record to 15-2.
FGCU improves to 15-3 on the season while Eckerd College drops to 12-4.
The Eagles captured the number one and three doubles matches, taking a 2-1 lead heading into singles play. Stempnowski and senior Jose Pastrello, ranked 19th, defeated Sebastian Neidermeyer and Sanjar Shodiev 8-2 to improve their dual match record to 16-2 this spring. Fogelman and sophomore Alberto Gutierrez were defeated at No. 2 doubles by Eckerd’s Elmar Koenig and Javier Romero-Barrio 8-3, but the Eagles won the third doubles match as Tim Offerman and Juan Carlos Osorio picked up an easy 8-1 win over David Lopez and Javier Romero-Barrio.
The Eagles solidified the victory with straight set wins in four of the six singles matches. Seventh-ranked Stempnowski breezed past 17th-ranked Neidermeyer, 6-2 and 6-1, at the No. 1 singles position while Pastrello won 7-6, 6-0, in the No. 2 position.
The Tritons picked up wins at No. 4 singles as Koenig topped Gutierrez in three sets, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, and Lopez won in three sets over Tim Offerman, who retired with the score 3-3 in the third set with back spasms.
The Eagles (15-3) travels to Florida Southern for a 2 p.m. match on Friday afternoon.
1. Richard Stempnowski (FGCU) def. Sebastian Neidermeyer (EC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Jose Pastrello (FGCU) def. Javier Romero-Barrio (EC) 7-5, 6-0
3. Juan Carlos Osorio (FGCU) def. Nikola Vujovic (EC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Elmar Koenig (EC) def. Alberto Gutierrez (FGCU) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
5. Seth Fogelman (FGCU) def. Byron Kidd (EC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Tim Offerman (FGCU) def. David Lopez (EC) 4-6, 7-5, 3-3 ret.
1. Stempnowski/Pastrello (FGCU) def. Neidermeyer/Shodiev (EC) 8-2
2. Koenig/Romero-Barrio (EC) def. Gutierrez/Fogelman (FGCU) 8-3
3. Osorio/Offerman (FGCU) def. Lopez/Romero-Barrio (EC) 8-1