FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU men’s tennis defeated Kennesaw State 5-2 at the FGCU Tennis Complex on Monday afternoon. With the win, the Eagles improve to 3-6 overall and 2-2 in Atlantic Sun play. Kennesaw State drops to 5-8 overall, 0-4 in conference matches.
The Blue and Green grabbed the doubles point thanks to wins on courts one and two, including a 9-8 (7-5) victory for Checchia/Leitz on court two.
In singles play, the Eagles won four of the six matches, three in straight sets. Thibaud Aime (Figeac, France) picked up his first A-Sun win with a 5-7, 6-1, 7-6 (5) defeat of Simon Janik on court one. Carlo Checchia (Brasilia, Brazil) also won for the first time in conference play, knocking off Tyler Mills with relative ease, 6-0, 6-1. Matthew Rock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) and Mitchell Lvovsky (Dania Beach, Fla.) also picked up straight-set singles wins for FGCU.
The Eagles continue A-Sun play on Thursday (Mar. 11) when they host No. 59 East Tennessee State. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
1. Rock/Aime (FGCU) def. Kahler/Mills (KSU) 8-5
2. Checchia/Leitz (FGCU) def. Langel/Janik 9-8 (5)
3. Ozdemir/Suesserman (KSU) def. Lvovsky/Rebolledo (FGCU) 9-8 (3)
1. Aime (FGCU) def. Janik (KSU) 5-7, 6-1, 7-6 (5)
2. Checchia (FGCU) def. Mills (KSU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Ozdemir (KSU) def. Leitz (FGCU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Rock (FGCU) def. Langel (KSU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Kubin (KSU) def. Rebolledo (FGCU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Lvovksy (FGCU) def. Kahler (KSU) 6-3, 6-4