DELAND, Fla. – Traveling to DeLand, Fla. to compete in the Atlantic Sun Conference opener against Stetson, the FGCU men’s tennis team fell 7-0 on Saturday afternoon.
With the loss the Eagles moved to 0-4 (0-1 A-Sun) on the year while the Hatters improved to 9-2 (1-0 A-Sun) this season.
“Top to bottom we fought hard against one of the A-Sun’s elite teams,” said head coach J. Webb Horton. “Although we didn’t come out on top in this one, there a number of things we can learn from and improve upon as the season continues.”
The Hatters took each of the doubles matches to take the opening point. The FGCU pair of sophomore Collin Brown (Tallahassee, Fla./Florida State University School) and senior Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University) lost a close No. 3 match, 8-7, to the Stetson team of Didrik Berg and Alexander Hackett.
Stetson’s success held firm in the day’s singles action, as the host squad claimed each of the six competitions.
The Eagles will remain on the road for a Sunday morning meeting with UCF beginning at 10 a.m. The match was originally scheduled for Feb. 6, but rain in the Orlando area forced the schools to postpone the match. Results and recaps of the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com at the conclusion of the dual.
1. Maksim Levanovich (STET) def. Matthew Rock (FGCU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Cesare Gallo (STET) def. Gabriel Echeverry (FGCU), 6-1, 6-3
3. Njal Stene (STET) def. Carlo Checchia (FGCU), 6-4, 6-3
4. Didrik Berg (STET) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Alexander Hackett (STET) def. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU), 6-1, 7-5
6. Hans Adrian Riseng (STET) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-2, 6-3
1. Cesare Gallo and Maksim Levanovich (STET) def. Gabriel Echeverry and Matthew Rock (FGCU), 8-4
2. Njal Stene and Chris Swanteson (STET) def. Steve Binninger and Dean Tsamas (FGCU), 8-2
3. Didrik Berg and Alexander Hackett (STET) def. Collin Brown and Carlo Checchia (FGCU), 8-7