FORT MYERS, Fla. – In its second straight Atlantic Sun Conference match at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the FGCU men’s tennis team fell to USC Upstate, 5-2, on Saturday afternoon. Freshman Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) and senior Mitchell Lvovsky (Dania Beach, Fla./Keystone HS/Wingate University) each picked up singles victories in the dual contest.
With the loss, the Eagles fell to 0-7 (0-3 A-Sun) while USC Upstate improved to 6-9 (2-1 A-Sun) this spring.
“We played well against last year's conference tournament champion,” said head coach J. Webb Horton. "I told the team that our record is not an indication of how good we are. It was great to see Dean get his first singles win today."
The Spartans took the doubles point to start off the afternoon, winning each of the three paired meetings. FGCU’s team of senior Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University) and Tsamas fell to Upstate’s pair of Ramiro Blanco and Matais Di Pasquale, 8-6, at No. 1, and the Eagle duo of junior Matt Rock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Jacksonville University) and sophomore Gabriel Echeverry (Popayan, Colombia/Gimnasio Calibio) were defeated by Edgar Rodriguez and Gonzalo Blanco, 8-5, in No. 2 doubles.
FGCU grabbed its two points in the day’s singles action courtesy of Tsamas and Lvovsky. At the No. 5 spot, Tsamas took down Upstate’s Gianluca Paino, 2-6, 6-2, 6-4, and Lvovsky picked up a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Ignacio Velez in the No. 6 position.
The Eagles now prepare to host a pair of non-conference opponents at the FGCU Tennis Complex. Lehigh brings its 7-3 record to Fort Myers for a 10 a.m. dual on Sunday morning. Due to forecasted rain in the area, the match time was moved from its original 1 p.m. start. The Blue and Green return to the court on Monday for a meeting with SIU Edwardsville (0- 5), beginning at 1 p.m. Results and recaps from the competitions will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following each match.
1. Ramiro Blanco (Upstate) def. Matt Rock (FGCU), 7-6, 1-6, 6-3
2. Gonzalo Blanco (Upstate) def. Gabriel Echeverry (FGCU), 6-1, 7-6 (4)
3. Matias Di Pasquale (Upstate) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Marco Linconir (Upstate) def. Carlo Checchia (FGCU), 7-6 (4), 0-3 retired
5. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. Gianluca Paino (Upstate), 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Ignacio Velez (Upstate), 6-3, 6-2
1. R. Blanco and Di Pasquale (Upstate) def. Checchia and Tsamas (FGCU), 8-6
2. Edgar Rodriguez and G. Blanco (Upstate) def. Rock and Echeverry (FGCU), 8-5
3. Linconir and Paino (Upstate) def. Binninger and Collin Brown (FGCU), 8-2