FORT MYERS, Fla. – In non-conference action the FGCU men's tennis team picked up four singles points to record its first victory of the season, defeating visiting Lehigh, 4-3, on Sunday afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex. In the day’s opening singles play, seniors Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University) and Mitchell Lvovsky (Dania Beach, Fla./Keystone HS/Wingate University), junior Matt Rock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Jacksonville University) and freshman Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) all won their singles matches.
The victory moved the Blue and Green’s record to 1-7 (0-3 A-Sun) on the spring season, while Lehigh’s record went to 7-4.
“We played very well against a tough Lehigh team,” said head coach J. Webb Horton. “Our ability to play under pressure was tested today, and the four singles wins proved to be the difference in the match. I am very pleased with how we competed this afternoon.”
Due to rain forecasted in the area, the teams opened the afternoon with singles play. Rock got the Eagles on the board with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Lehigh’s Collin Laffey in the No. 2 spot, and Checchia followed with a 6-2, 6-2 defeat of Mark Goldberg in No. 4 singles. The Eagles grabbed their final two points in the No. 5 and No. 6 contests, with victories by Tsamas and Lovovsky. In a three-set match, Tsamas picked up the win over Andrew Krentz, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1, and Lvovsky rounded out the scoring with a 6-1, 6-1 defeat of Timur Chernykh.
With the match already in hand for the Eagles, the teams turned their attention to the afternoon’s doubles play. Lehigh took two of the three matches to bring the final score to 4-3 in favor of the Blue and Green. Rock and sophomore Gabriel Echeverry (Popayan, Colombia/Gimnasio Calibio) recorded the lone doubles win for FGCU, turning away the Lehigh pair of Matt Savran and Cameron Silbert, 8-1.
The Eagles return to the court for their third match in as many days at the FGCU Tennis Complex on Monday afternoon. SIU Edwardsville brings an 0-5 record to Fort Myers for the dual meeting beginning at 1 p.m. Results and recaps from the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Troy List (Lehigh) def. Gabriel Echeverry (FGCU), 7-5, 6-2
2. Matt Rock (FGCU) def. Collin Laffey (Lehigh), 6-1, 6-3
3. Matt Savran (Lehigh) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Carlo Checchia (FGCU) def. Mark Goldberg (Lehigh), 6-2, 6-3
5. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. Andrew Krentz (Lehigh), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Timur Chernykh (Lehigh), 6-1, 6-1
1. List and Laffey (Lehigh) def. Checchia and Tsamas (FGCU), 8-1
2. Rock and Echeverry (FGCU) def. Savran and Silbert (Lehigh), 8-1
3. Ryan Krueger and Goldberg (Lehigh) def. Binninger and Collin Brown (FGCU), 8-1