FORT MYERS, Fla. – On Monday afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the FGCU men’s tennis team fell to visiting Samford, 7-0, in a non-conference dual meeting.
With the loss, the Eagles dropped to 2-11 (0-5 A-Sun) this spring while Samford improved to 10-3 this season.
“Once again, the team fought hard against a quality opponent in Samford,” said head coach J. Webb Horton. “They were a very solid team that proved to have too much firepower for us today. It was a competitive match but we were just out played.”
The Bulldogs took the opening doubles point with victories in the No. 1 and No. 2 positions and carried their success over to the day’s singles action where they swept the six matches on the afternoon.
FGCU will return to action by hosting a pair of Atlantic Sun Conference foes. Belmont (0-6, 0-3 A-Sun) travels to Fort Myers for a Thursday afternoon meeting beginning at 1 p.m. On Saturday, the Eagles will square off at 10 a.m. with Lipscomb, who takes its 5-5 (2-1 A-Sun) record to Stetson on Thursday.
Results and recaps from the both competitions will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following each match.
1. Carson Kadi (Samford) def. Matt Rock (FGCU), 6-4, 6-0
2. Zac Dunkle(Samford) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Carl Abalos (Samford) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Oliver Reynolds (Samford) def. Collin Brown (FGCU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Fernando Costa (Samford) def. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU), 6-4, 2-2 Ret
6. A Sajonz (Samford) def. No Player (FGCU), default
1. Abalos and Reynolds (Samford) def. Rock and Brown (FGCU), 8-4
2. Dunkle and Sajonz (Samford) def. Binninger and Tsamas (FGCU), 8-3
3. Kadi and Costa (Samford) def. No team (FGCU), default