FORT MYERS, Fla. – Taking the courts with No. 70 Northwestern on Tuesday afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the FGCU men’s team fell 6-1. Freshman Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) recorded the lone singles victory on the afternoon for the Eagles.
The loss moved the Eagles’ record to 3-14 (1-6 A-Sun) while the Wildcats improved to 9-5 this season.
“I thought the team played very tough against the No. 70 team in the country,” said head coach J. Webb Horton. “Our players continue to play hard every time we take the court.”
Northwestern retired the Eagles in each of the three doubles matches to sweep the opening point.
In singles play, Tsamas was able to put the Blue and Green on the scoreboard with three-set win over Tobias Reitz, 3-6, 6-3, 12-10, in the No. 4 matchup. Also battling in a three-setter, senior Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University) fell to Andrew McCarthy 6-4, 2-6, 12-10, in the No. 3 contest.
The Eagles will now take the road for an Atlantic Sun competition, as they head to ETSU for a 1 p.m. start on March 25. Results and recaps from the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Joshua Graves (NU) def. Matthew Rock (FGCU), 6-0, 6-2
2. Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Andrew McCarthy (NU) def. Carlo Checchia (FGCU), 6-4, 2-6, 12-10
4. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. Tobias Reitz (NU), 3-6, 6-3, 12-10
5. Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Chris Jackman (NU) def. Frank Acierno (FGCU), 6-4, 6-4
1. Graves and Wolf (NU) def. Checchia and Tsamas (FGCU), 8-3
2. McCarthy and Reitz (NU) def. Collin Brown and Rock (FGCU), 8-4
3. Smith and Jackman (NU) def. Binninger and Acierno (FGCU), 8-3