CORAL GABLES, Fla. – Coming off a 5-2 victory over FAU Friday night, the FGCU men’s tennis team fell to No. 67 Miami, 6-1, on Saturday night in Coral Gables, Fla.
The Eagles fall to 5-6 while the Hurricanes improve to 9-4 on the season.
To start the match off, Miami scored an easy doubles win from the No. 2 doubles team Diego Soto and Gabriel Flores, who won 8-4 against sophomores Michael Beiler (Palm Harbor, Fla./Dunedin HS) and Tianyu Bao (Tianjin, China/Bayshore HS-FL). That was followed by the No. 3 doubles team, Marco Stancati and Henrique Tsukamoto, dominating their match 8-1 against juniors Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) and Lance Lvovsky (Dania, Fla./Broward Virtual School/Jacksonville).
Omar Aly scored Miami's first single's win at the no. 4 spot with a quick 6-2,6-4 outpacing of his opponent, senior Jackson Moore (Bradenton, Fla./Lakewood Ranch HS/Georgia State). Flores followed up for the Canes by scoring a 7-5,6-1 win over Bao. At this point, Miami was up 3-0, one point away from clinching victory, but all of their remaining matches were very close.
Sophomore Jordi Vives (Barcelona, Spain/IES Ferran Tallada/USC) won the only point for FGCU when he defeated top-seeded Diego Soto in three sets, 5-7, 6-1, 6-3.
William Albanese ended the match with his win, which was followed up by victories from Wilfredo Gonzalez at the No. 3 singles spot, and Marco Stancati at the No. 5.
FGCU will be back in action Thursday, when they open up Atlantic Sun Conference action at home against Lipscomb. The match will start at 6:00 p.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
1. Jordi Vives (FGCU) def. Diego Soto (MIA) 5-7,6-1,6-3
2. Gabriel Flores (MIA) def. Tianyu Bao 7-5,6-1
3. Wilfredo Gonzalez (MIA) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) 7-6,6-4
4. Omar Aly (MIA) def. Jackson Moore (FGCU) 6-2,6-2
5. Marco Stancati (MIA) def. Dylan Gunning (FGCU) 4-6,6-4,6-3
6. William Albanese (MIA) def. Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) 6-2,4-6,6-3
1. Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (MIA) vs Jordi Vives/Jackson Moore (FGCU) 3-5
2. Diego Soto/Gabriel Flores (MIA) def. Michael Beiler/Tianyu Bao (FGCU) 8-4
3. Henrique Tsukamoto/Marco Stancati (MIA) def. Dean Tsamas/Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) 8-1