FGCU Athletics Participates in United Way "Day of Action"
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Members of the FGCU Athletic Department participated in the United Way “Day of Action” at the United Way of Lee, Hendry and Glades on Saturday, June 20.
From 11am-1pm on Saturday, representatives from FGCU Athletics joined over 300 volunteers to help the United Way pack meals for the Fort Myers community. There was a grand total of 163,752 meals packed, exceeding the goal of 100,000 meals. The FGCU Athletics team did their part and packed over 7,000 meals in less than three hours.
The United Way is committed to working to improve the quality of life for all people in the local community by coordinating the human service network and providing resources to United Way supported programs. Their goal is to create long-lasting change.
Last year the United Way of Lee, Hendry, and Glades raised over $7.6 million and distributed funds to 70 Partners and over 160 programs. These United Way supported programs positively changed the lives of over 300,000 families, children, seniors, and individuals in the Fort Myers area.
United Way Day of Action is:
• A call to action for individuals to give, advocate and volunteer on issues relating to education, income and health.
• An opportunity to send a clear message about United Way's work and its impact in the community.
• A chance to recruit more champions to the work - beyond the workplace.
• An opportunity to invite new partners - agencies, corporations, media.
• An opportunity to work cross-functionally - impact, campaign, marketing and volunteer staff.
• A chance to be part of something bigger - a nationwide movement for change.
• An opportunity to position United Way outside of fundraising; to lead by example with opportunities to volunteer and to advocate.
• A chance to show the world what it means to LIVE UNITED.
United Way Day of Action is not:
• A traditional Day of Caring, i.e., a day for volunteers to help local nonprofits with their unmet infrastructure needs such as building upkeep, landscaping, office system reorganization or computer maintenance.
|Copyright ©2013 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|