Hopper Earns A-Sun Volleyball Player of Week Honor
FORT MYERS, Fla. – After guiding the Eagles to a 3-0 record last week, sophomore Jill Hopper (Muncie, Ind./Yorktown HS) earned her second career Atlantic Sun Conference Player of the Week honor, the conference office announced on Monday.
In FGCU's 3-1 (25-15, 22-25, 25-20, 25-17) victory over in-state foe Bethune-Cookman at Alico Arena on Oct. 9, Hopper hit .300 and led the Eagles with 17 kills and 15 digs. She also registered three service aces in the win.
Three days later (Oct. 12), Hopper recorded a match-high 13 kills to go with seven digs and three block as the Green and Blue earned a 3-0 (28-26, 25-22, 25-23) decision over three-time defending Atlantic Sun Champion Lipscomb at Allen Arena. The loss gave LU their first home loss in A-Sun play since 2008.
The sophomore followed her solid performance at Lipscomb with an even more impressive outing the next time she hit the court. At Northern Kentucky on Saturday, Oct. 13, Hopper hit .382 and led the Eagles with a match-high 16 kills and six digs in their 3-1 (16-25, 25-19, 25-21, 25-19) decision over the Atlantic Sun’s newest member Northern Kentucky.
FGCU (14-7, 9-0 A-Sun), who sits atop the A-Sun standings and have only lost three sets in conference play this season, returns to the court next weekend when they host Mercer and Kennesaw State in conference action. The Eagles welcome the Bears to Fort Myers on Fri. Oct. 19 (6 p.m.), before facing the Owls at Alico Arena on Sat. Oct. 20 (7 p.m.).
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Jill Hopper, Florida Gulf Coast (Sophomore – Outside Hitter – Muncie, Ind. – Biology)
• Led FGCU to a 3-0 record last week
• Led the Eagles to a 3-0 sweep at three-time defending champion Lipscomb, handing the Bisons their first home loss in A-Sun play since 2008
• Helped the Eagles to their 10th consecutive win (ninth straight Atlantic Sun Conference match)
• Recorded 46 kills and 28 digs, averaged 4.18 kills per set and posted a hitting pct. of .327 for the week
• Posted a double-double of 17 kills and 15 digs against Bethune-Cookman
• Second career Player of the Week honor
• Megan Devine, ETSU
• Jenna Schreiver, Northern Kentucky
• Caroline Carlton, Mercer
• Kayla McAvoy, USC Upstate
• Jewell Dobson, Lipscomb
• Baylee Strachan, Kennesaw State
• Caolyn Jenkins, North Florida
|Copyright ©2013 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|