Eagles Ready For Big XII Test at Iowa State Tuesday Night
|Florida Gulf Coast||37||35||72|
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||ISU|
|FG Percentage||.466 (27-58)||.493 (34-69)|
|3P FG Percentage||.375 (9-24)||.520 (13-25)|
|FT Percentage||.900 (9-10)||.400 (2-5)|
THOMPSON - 3
GRAF - 3
Booker - 1
Gibson - 1
FGCU (6-3) at Iowa State (5-2)
Coaching Matchup: Andy Enfield (21-20; 2nd Season) vs. Fred Hoiberg (44-29; 3rd Season)
Date: Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Time: 8:00 P.M. EST
City: Ames, Iowa
Site: Hilton Coliseum (14,376)
Live Video: CYCLONES.tv
Live Audio: www.FGCUATHLETICS.com
Talent: Gary Sharp (P-B-P)
Live Stats: www.CYCLONES.com
Twitter Hashtags: #ISUvsFGCU/#WeAreFGCU/#ASUNMBB/#FGCU
Current Streak: W2
On The Road: 1-3
Vs. Iowa State: First Meeting
Vs. Big XII: 0-1
Up Next: vs. FIU - Thursday, Dec. 13
AT A GLANCE
Coming off a convincing 65-50 win over MAAC favorite Loyola University Maryland, who was No. 21 in the last Mid-Major Poll, FGCU will finish off a 26-day, 10-game stretch to open the season at Big XII member Iowa State on Tuesday night. The Eagles’ 6-3 record is their best start in Division I program history (2007-) and they are in search of their seventh win which would reverse their start from a year ago (3-7) and equal their win total through 16 games in 2011-12. Iowa State (5-2) is FGCU’s fourth BCS opponent this season with the Green and Blue holding a 1-2 record in those matchups, highlighted by double-digit win over ACC foe Miami.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the top scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 30.4 points and 11.0 rebounds per game.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems:
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 30.4 ppg
Pegg/Graham (Stetson) - 30.3 ppg
Craig/Rodgers (USC Upstate) - 28.6 ppg
Cummings/Love (Kennesaw St.) - 28.5 ppg
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 29.2 pgg
• One of two combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... both are tied for the team lead at 15.2 points per game, good for sixth in the A-Sun.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game seven times with FGCU going 4-3.
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in seven of the nine games and have been the top two scorers on six occasions.
• Combine to score an average of 19 of the team’s 37.7 points in the second half.
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON registered 57 steals as a freshman in 2011-12 - good for third in the A-Sun and fifth-best in program single-season history - and is already halfway to that total this year. Thompson leads the nation in total steals with 29.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks sixth in the nation at 3.2 steals.
• Had a career-high of five steals at No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD.
• Current streak of nine games with a steal.
• Has a steal in 37 of 41 career games, including 28 multi-steal performances.
FGCU IN THE RPI
Outlet (Date) - RPI (SOS)
Real Time (12/3) - 42 (38)
CBS Sports (12/3) - 42 (38)
Rivals (12/2) - 34 (37)
StatSheet (12/3) - 36 (48)
WarrenNolan.com (12/3) - 42 (38)
Sagarin (12/2) - 105 (55)
Massey (12/2) - 99 (94)
Pomeroy (12/2) - 103 (61)
CollegeHoopsNet.com (12/3) - 36 (--)
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (6-3) are tied with No. 7 Florida for the most victories in the state.
(Records as of 12/3)
Florida State: 4-3
Seven schools: Three wins or fewer
SCOUTING IOWA STATE
Iowa State is coming off a 23-win season that featured the program’s first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2005 under BIG XII Coach of the Year Fred Hoiberg, who spent 10 seasons in the NBA and was a third team All-American at ISU. The Cyclones are a perfect 5-0 at Clinton Coliseum this season and are currently riding a 12-game home win streak, the fifth-best streak in program history. Hoiberg’s influence has transformed the Cyclones into one of the most exciting teams in college hoops, as Iowa State ranks 14th in the nation in scoring (82.4) and 12th in three-pointers per game (9.0), both figures lead the Big XII. As good as Iowa State is scoring the basketball, it might be even better at rebounding, evident by its +12.4 rebound margin that is 6th in the nation. The Cyclones have out-rebounded all seven opponents this season which includes ultra-athletic lineups of nationally-ranked UNLV and Cincinnati.
Gone from last year’s NCAA Tournament team is NBA First Round draft choice Royce White, but added to the mix are former Utah standout Will Clyburn and former Michigan State starter Korie Lucious, who both only have one year of eligibility. A multi-talented 6-foot-7 wing that has the ability to play four positions, Clyburn is fresh off a 32-point night against BYU. Clyburn averages a team-best 17.3 points and adds 8.6 rebounds, a figure that is second in the Big XII. The Big XII’s top rebounder is also a Cyclone, as junior Melvin Ejim posts 8.9 boards per contest to go along with 10.6 points. Senior guard Tyrus McGee provides instant offense off the bench, averaging 14.0 points in 23 minutes with a team-best 19 three-pointers. Freshman 6-foot-7 forward Georges Niang gives ISU another double figure scorer off the pinch with 10.1 points.
Redshirt sophomore ERIC MCKNIGHT called Ames, Iowa home for one year, as the 6-foot-9 forward from Raleigh, N.C. was a member of Fred Hoiberg’s first recruiting class. McKnight transferred to FGCU follow his freshman season (2010-11) at Iowa State and is in his first year of eligibility with the Green and Blue after sitting out the 2011-12 season. • McKnight isn’t the only Eagle with ties back to Iowa, as assistant coach MARTY RICHTER is a Waterloo, Iowa native and played college ball at Simpson College from 1995-99.
A CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major All-American a year ago, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has a quartet of 20-point games on the road this season and was named the A-Sun Player of the Week on November 20.
• Team’s leading scorer (15.2) and rebounder (5.3), marks that rank 6th and 12th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Thompson is averaging 21.5 points per game in four road games with 24 points at No. 9 Duke, 21 points at VCU, 21 points at Samford and 20 points at St. John’s.
• Highlighted by a career-high six three-pointers at No. 9 Duke, - tied for the most threes in the A-Sun this season - he ranks 5th in the A-Sun in three-point percentage (.441) and 9th in threes per game (1.7).
• Averaging 9.9 points in the second half that is boosted by 15 points in the final 20 minutes at No. 9 Duke and at VCU, 14 at St. John’s and two other double-digit performances.
THE WAIT IS OVER
Redshirt sophomore ERIC MCKNIGHT sat out the 2011-12 after transferring to FGCU from Iowa State and is off to a strong start in the Green and Blue. The 6-foot-9 bouncy forward with a 7-foot-2 wingspan has started all nine games.
• Fourth on the team in scoring (7.9) and second in rebounding (5.1), a figure that ranks 16th in the A-Sun.
• Leads the A-Sun in blocks (15) and is 2nd in blocks per game (1.7).
• Team leader with 20 offensive rebounds, good for 6th in the A-Sun at 2.2 per game.
• Shooting 53 percent, highlighted by 11 dunks.
• Produced game-highs of 14 points and eight rebounds in the win over Miami.
• Scored a season-high 15 points against Toledo with seven boards and three blocks.
WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU
One of two players to rank in the A-Sun’s top 10 in scoring and rebounding in 2011-12, senior SHERWOOD BROWN has twice been named the A-Sun Player of the Week by College Sports Madness an once by the league office. He was also named the MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU after a 22-point night against Toledo in the title game.
• Tied for the team lead and ranks 6th in the A-Sun in scoring at 15.2 points per game, led by a pair of 20-point nights.
• Ranks 20th in rebounding (4.7), tied for 9th in steals (1.6) and 6th in minutes (31.6).
• Has reached double figures a team-best eight times
• FGCU is 4-0 when Brown leads in scoring.
• Highlighted by 17 points against Toledo and 14 at Samford, Brown averages 9.8 points in the second half.
IT’S ALL ABOUT THE D
Known for its up-tempo style on offense, FGCU is starting show the traits of some of the teams coach ANDY ENFIELD was a member of at Florida State when it became the first team since the 1990-92 Georgetown clubs to lead the NCAA in field goal percentage defense in back-to-back years.
• FGCU ranks 2nd in the A-Sun in field goal percentage defense (.408), 2nd in three-point percentage defense (.247) and third in scoring defense (64.2).
• The Eagles are 34th in the nation and lead the A-Sun with 9.4 steals per game and rank third in blocks (3.6).
• Forcing a conference third-best 16.8 turnovers per game, including 15+ turnovers six times (4-2).
• Allowed 54 points or less in four of six wins.
• No team has shot over 35 percent from three-point land, as opponents are shooting just 24.7 percent - the 14th-best 3-pt FG defense in the country.
• Out-rebounding opponents by +2.0 per game.
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|