FGCU Set to Complete Non-Conference Home Slate Against Southeastern
|Florida Gulf Coast||43||43||86|
|Stats at a Glance||SOUTH||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.350 (21-60)||.508 (33-65)|
|3P FG Percentage||.192 (5-26)||.389 (7-18)|
|FT Percentage||.542 (13-24)||.867 (13-15)|
FGCU (7-4) vs. Southeastern (8-5)
Coaching Matchup: Andy Enfield (22-21; 2nd Season) vs. R-Jay Barsh (8-5; 1st Season)
Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Time: 7:05 P.M. EST
City: Fort Myers, Fla.
Site: Alico Arena (4,500)
Live Video & Audio: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Talent: David Moulton (P-B-P) & J. Webb Horton (Analyst)
Live Stats: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Twitter Hashtags: #FGCU/#WeAreFGCU/#ASUNMBB
Current Streak: W1
At Home: 6-0
Vs. Southeastern: 1-0
Up Next: at Maine - Dec. 22
AT A GLANCE
Taking the Alico Arena floor already for the seventh time this season, FGCU will look to keep its home record (6-0) unblemished on Tuesday night when it takes on NAIA foe Southeastern. The Eagles can set a new program D-I record for non-conference victories with a win. Currently in the top 50 of the RPI by several media outlets, FGCU defeated Southeastern in the only meeting between the two teams in the Green and Blue’s inaugural season (2002-03)when both programs were NAIA.
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• Second in the A-Sun & 40th nationally in assists per game (5.5)
• Averaging 13 points, 6.0 assists and 4.3 rebounds last three games
• Team leader in assists in 10 of 11 games and 39 of 43 for career
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• Tops in the nation in total steals (35) and 5th in steals per (3.2)
• Ranks 6th in the A-Sun in scoring (15.0)
• Team-high four 20-point games - all on the road
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• One of four A-Sun players in the top 15 in scoring & rebounding
• FGCU is 4-0 when he leads in scoring
• 13-of-28 from three-point land in last six games
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Monday
• Scored a career-high 18 points in each of the last two games
• Coming off career-high 18 points at Iowa State - 15 in second half
• Team leader with 23 dunks out of 45 made field goals
#23 Eddie Murray (F)
• Made first start of the season against FIU
• Has more offensive rebounds (19) than defensive (16)
• Third on the team with five dunks
FGCU IN THE RPI
Outlet - RPI (SOS)
Real Time (12/15) - 47 (35)
ESPN Insider (12/17) - 57 (42)
CBS Sports (12/16) - 44 (33)
Rivals (12/16) - 41 (30)
StatSheet (12/16) - 47 (46)
CollegeHoopsNet.com (12/16) -47 (46)
WarrenNolan.com (12/16) - 42 (33)
Dolphin (12/16) - 35 (--)
Sagarin (12/16) - 95 (39)
Massey (12/15) - 104 (66)
Pomeroy (12/15) - 109 (47)
FGCU IN LATEST BRACKETOLOGY
With an RPI as low as 41 and an A-Sun-leading six wins, including ACC foe Miami’s lone loss, FGCU was predicted as the No. 13 seed in the East Region of the NCAA Tournament by ESPN.com’s Joe Lunardi in his Dec. 11th Bracketology.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (7-4) are tied with No. 5 Florida for the most victories in the state.
(Records as of 12/15)
Nine schools: Five wins or fewer
MAKE MOVES IN THE MID-MAJOR POLL
Despite ranking as high as No. 35 in the RPI by Dolphin and in the top 50 in six other media outlets’ RPIs, FGCU remained just outside the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 poll for the third consecutive week. The Eagles came in at No. 28, receiving 42 votes to sit 27 behind No. 25 North Dakota State.
The Fire enter Tuesday’s contest with a 8-5 record, but have lost four of their last five contests, and are coming off a 75-72 loss to Weber International on Dec. 5. Led by first-year head coach R-Jay Barsh, the Fire were tabbed to finish fifth in the Sun Conference Preseason Coaches’ Poll. Southeastern returns two starters from a team that went 19-14 last season. Southeastern is one of the top defensive teams in the entire NAIA only allowing 57.8 point per game this season. The Fire are led by 6’10’’ junior forward Povilas Gaidys. Gaidys leads the team in scoring at 15.8 points per game and he also leads Southeastern in rebounding with 6.5 boards a game. Sophomore guard Jordan Talley is the team’s top three-point shooter at 41.5% from three and is second on the team in steals with 13.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the second-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 29.0 points and 10.0 rebounds per game.
• One of two combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Thompson ranks sixth (15.0), while Brown is eighth (14.0).
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game eight times with FGCU going 4-4.
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in seven of the 11 games and have been the top two scorers on six occasions.
• Combine to score an average of 17.1 of the team’s 37.0 points in the second half.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Craig/Rodgers (USC Upstate) - 30.4 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 29.0 ppg
Cummings/Love (Kennesaw St.) - 28.5 ppg
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 27.8 ppg
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 27.7 pgg
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON registered 57 steals as a freshman in 2011-12 - good for third in the A-Sun and fifth-best in program single-season history - and is on pace to shatter that total and the program record this season.
• National leader with 35 steals
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks fifth in the nation in steals per game (3.2)
• Had a career-high of five steals at No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD.
• Current streak of 11 games with a steal, including six straight with at least two.
• Has a steal in 39 of 43 career games, including 30 multi-steal performances.
• Just eight steals shy of 100 in 43 career games ... Brian Crislip (2002/03) got to 100 steals in 39 games, while Rob Quintance accomplished the feat in 41 contests.
A CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major All-American a year ago, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has a quartet of 20-point games on the road this season and was named the A-Sun Player of the Week on November 20.
• Team’s leading scorer (15.0) and 6th in the A-Sun.
• Tied for the team lead with nine double figure performances.
• Thompson is averaging 20.0 points per game in four road games with 24 points at No. 9 Duke, 21 points at VCU, 21 points at Samford and 20 points at St. John’s.
• Highlighted by a career-high six three-pointers at No. 9 Duke, - tied for the most threes in the A-Sun this season - he ranks 5th in the A-Sun in three-point percentage (.415) and 9th in threes per game (1.7).
• Averaging 9.4 points in the second half that is boosted by 15 points in the final 20 minutes at No. 9 Duke and at VCU, 14 at St. John’s and two other double-digit performances.
FGCU is 6-0 at Alico Arena this season and 15-5 all-time at home under second-year head coach Andy Enfield.
• Six-game home win streak is the second-longest in Division I history, just behind the eight-game streak in 2008-09.
• Out-scoring opponents by 11.7 points per game and limiting the opposition to 57.0 points per contest.
• Forcing 18.0 turnovers per game, leading to 10.2 steals.
• Dominating inside, out-scoring opponents 234-116 in the paint, good for a 19.7 per game difference.
• Defeated ACC foe Miami in the home opener, limiting the Canes to just 29 percent (16-55) shooting.
Over the last seven games, junior CHASE FIELER has been FGCU’s top rebounder (5.9) and third-leading scorer at 13.0 points per contest.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Monday.
• Scored a career-high 18 points, including 15 in the second half, at Iowa State and followed with 18 points in the win over FIU.
• Reached double figures in a career long four straight games and seven times this season.
• Third on the team in scoring (10.2) and third on the club in rebounding (5.0) - figures are 20th and 15th in the A-Sun.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Team leader with 23 dunks.
• Has led the team in scoring three times and rebounding twice.
FGCU is armed with a long and athletic lineup that has been aggressive at the rim and in the paint this season. The Eagles are averaging 34.7 points in the paint this season, including 51 dunks.
Player - Dunks
Chase Fieler - 23
Eric McKnight - 12
Sherwood Brown - 5
Eddie Murray - 5
Leonard Livingston - 3
Bernard Thompson - 3
• FGCU has reached the 40-point plateau in points in the paint in three games - Miami, Toledo and FIU
• Been held below 30 points in the paint just one time.
• Eagles had a season-high eight dunks against Toledo.
• Scored a season-high 51 points in the paint against FIU, including the first 14 of the game.
|Copyright ©2013 Florida Gulf Coast Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|