FGCU Travels to USC Upstate For Big A-Sun Tilt on ESPN3
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||UPST|
|FG Percentage||.464 (26-56)||.433 (26-60)|
|3P FG Percentage||.333 (6-18)||.435 (10-23)|
|FT Percentage||.583 (14-24)||.750 (9-12)|
BLESSING - 1
OLUMUYIWA - 1
FGCU (11-6, 3-1 A-Sun) vs. USC Upstate (8-7, 2-0 A-Sun)
Date: Thursday, January 10, 2013
Time: 7:00 P.M. EST
City: Spartanburg, S.C.
Site: Hodge Center (818)
Live Video: ESPN3.COM
Talent: Matt Smith (P-B-P) & Jim Heenehan (Analyst)
Live Audio: UPSTATESPARTANS.com
Live Stats: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Twitter Hashtags: #FGCU/#ASUNMBB
Current Streak: W2
On The Road (A-Sun): 2-6 (1-1)
Vs. USC Upstate/Streak: 6-4/W1
Last Meeting: FGCU 71, USC Upstate 61 - March 1, 2012 - A-Sun Quarterfinals
AT A GLANCE
Off to its best start in its six seasons in the Atlantic Sun, second place FGCU (11-6, 3-1) will begin its second road trip in league play at first place USC Upstate (8-7, 2-0) on Thursday night in a game that can be seen live on ESPN3.com and the WatchESPN app. Thursday is a rematch of last year’s A-Sun Tournament quarterfinal showdown in which sixth-seeded FGCU upset the third-seeded Spartans, 71-61, in the first season of Division I postseason eligibility for both programs. The Eagles have won five of their last seven games with their only A-Sun loss coming in overtime at Mercer, while the Spartans enter on a four-game win streak.
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• Second in the A-Sun & 24th nationally in assists per game (5.9).
• Team leader in assists in 16 of 17 games and 45 of 49 for career.
• Sixth in the A-Sun in steals (1.5).
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• 2nd in the nation in total steals (50) and 7th in steals per (2.9).
• Ranks 8th in the A-Sun in scoring (14.4).
• All four 20-point games this season have come on the road.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Will play his 100th career game at USC Upstate on Thursday
• Ranks 9th in the A-Sun in scoring (14.0).
• Has reached double figures in 14 straight road games.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 34 dunks out of 71 made field goals.
• Scored double-digits in 10 of the last 13 games - 12.2 ppg & 5.3 rpg.
• Has led team in scoring six times after just twice first two seasons.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• A-Sun leader in total blocks (24) and third per game (1.4).
• Tops in rebounding (5.4), good for 12th in the A-Sun.
• Coming off 12-point and six-rebound performance vs. UNF.
FGCU FAST BREAK FACTS
• A-Sun leader with 11 wins; includes a program D-1 record eight non-conference victories.
• Off to its best start in A-Sun play since joining the league in 2007
• A-Sun leader in scoring (71.6) and steals (9.4).
• In the top 100 of the RPI, according to six media outlets.
• Receiving votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll the last six weeks.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 26-23 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 11-11 (2nd Season)
Against USC Upstate: 1-2
Head Coach: Eddie Payne (Wake Forest ‘73)
Record at USC Upstate: 149-166 (11th Season)
Career Record: 409-399 (28th Season)
A-Sun Record: 38-39 (6th Season)
Against FGCU: 4-6
AGAINST USC UPSTATE
Since both teams entered the Atlantic Sun in 2007-08, FGCU holds a 6-4 edge in the all-time series against USC Upstate. Last season, the Spartans swept the regular season series en route to a 13-5 A-Sun record, but the Eagles were able to get revenge in the postseason with a 10-point win in the quarterfinals that kick-started their run to the championship game. FGCU is 2-2 all-time in Spartanburg.
FGCU IN DEC. 11TH BRACKETOLOGY
FGCU was predicted as the No. 13 seed in the East Region of the NCAA Tournament by ESPN.com’s Joe Lunardi in his Dec. 11th Bracketology. Lunardi has FGCU squaring off against No. 4 seed Gonzaga in San Jose, Calif. On Dec. 27, the Eagles were also predicted to represent the A-Sun in Jerry Palm of CBS Sports in his Bracketology. Palm has FGCU as the No. 15 seed in the East Region.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (11-6) lead the state in victories, sitting one win ahead of No. 11/9 Florida (10-2), Miami (10-3) and UCF (10-4). Both the Gators and UCF are in action on Wednesday night.
(Records through Jan. 8)
Florida State: 9-5
Seven schools: Six wins or fewer
MAKE MOVES IN THE MID-MAJOR POLL
Currently in the top 100 of the RPI according to eight different media outlets, FGCU has received votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll s-ix straight weeks. The Eagles are the only A-Sun team currently getting votes.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the fourth-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 28.4 points, 9.5 rebounds and 4.4 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Thompson is eighth at 14.4 points per game while Brown is ninth at an even 14.0 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 13 times
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 10 of the 17 games and have been the top two scorers on seven occasions.
• Combine to average 33.9 points on the road
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 31.4 pgg
Cummings/Love (Kennesaw St.) - 29.0 ppg
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 29.9 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 28.4 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 28.3 ppg
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON registered 57 steals as a freshman in 2011-12 - good for third in the A-Sun and fifth-best in program single-season history - and is on pace to shatter that total and the program record this season.
• Tied for second in the nation in total steals with 50.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks seventh in the nation in steals per game (2.9)
• Had a career-high of five steals at No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD.
• Current streak of 17 games with a steal, including four or more six times.
• Has a steal in 45 of 49 career games, including 34 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in his 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 49 steals have led directly to 60 FGCU points (3.5 per game), including 23 of his own.
FGCU leads the A-Sun in three statistical categories: scoring offense (71.6), steals (9.4) and three-point percentage defense (.286). Individually, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON is tops in steals (2.9) and ERIC MCKNIGHT leads the way in total blocks (24).
FGCU is 9-0 at Alico Arena this season and 18-5 all-time at home under second-year head coach Andy Enfield.
• Nine-game home win streak is the longest in the program’s Division I history.
• Out-scoring opponents by 13.4 points per game and limiting the opposition to 58.9 points per contest.
• Forcing 17.4 turnovers per game, leading to 10.3 steals.
• Dominating inside, out-scoring opponents 356-192 in the paint, good for a 18.2 per game difference.
• Shooting 48 percent while limiting opponents to 36 percent.
• Defeated ACC foe Miami in the home opener, limiting the Canes to just 29 percent (16-55) shooting.
• Led at the half in eight of nine games.
Over the last 13 games, junior CHASE FIELER has been FGCU’s top rebounder (5.3) and third-leading scorer at 12.2 points.
• Team leader with 34 dunks out 71 made field goals.
• Reached double figures in 10 of the last 13 games, including a career long four-game stretch.
• Has led the team in scoring six times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Scored a career-high 18 points, including 15 in the second half, at Iowa State and had 18 points in the win over FIU.
• Third on the team in scoring (10.5) and third in rebounding (4.9) - figures that rank 18th and 17th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Second in the A-Sun and is 24th in the nation in assists per game (5.9).
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with multiple games of 10 or more assists.
• Ranks fourth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.6).
• Third all-time in FGCU history with 279 assists.
• Sixth in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.5).
• Scored in double figures five times.
• Has an assist on 31 of the team’s 74 dunks.
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ratio in seven of the last eight contests.
WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU
One of two players to rank in the A-Sun’s top 10 in scoring and rebounding in 2011-12, this season senior SHERWOOD BROWN has twice been named the A-Sun Player of the Week by College Sports Madness an once by the league office. He was also named the MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Ninth in the A-Sun in scoring at 14.0 points per game, led by a pair of 20-point nights and 14 double figure outings.
• Ranks 14th in rebounding (5.0), eighth in steals (1.4), 10th in defensive rebounds (3.7) and eighth in minutes (31.3).
• Averaging 16.4 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 14 straight true road games.
• FGCU is 6-1 when Brown leads in scoring.
• Team leader with 28 three-pointers, knocking down 25 of his last 59 from beyond the arc.
Sophomore FILIP CVJETICANIN is starting to find the stroke that helped him finish second in the A-Sun in three-point field goal percentage in 2011-12.
• Averaging 9.0 points over the last six games.
• Made 14 threes (14-33) over the last six games compared to eight in the first nine contests.
• Second in the A-Sun in 3-point field goal percentage (.373).
• Has 13 career double figure games off the bench.
The second-highest scoring tandem in the A-Sun, senior Sherwood Brown and sophomore Bernard Thompson take their game up to another level on the road.
• Account for 48 percent (271 of 566) of the team’s scoring on the road, leading the team in points in six of eight contests.
• Both players have reached double figures in all seven road games, while five of their six combined 20-point games are on the road.
• Combining for 33.9 points per game away from home and shooting 51 percent (99-195) from the floor.
• Scoring 19.3 points in the second half, highlighted by seven double figure efforts (Thompson-4, Brown-3) in the final 20 minutes.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN became the second straight Eagle to win the A-Sun Player of the Week on Nov. 27. Brown’s A-Sun Player of the Week honor followed sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S on Nov. 20. Brown has also been the College Sports Madness’ A-Sun Player of the Week two times, while junior CHASE FIELER garnered the award from the media outlet on Dec. 17.
A CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major All-American a year ago, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has a quartet of 20-point games on the road this season and was named the A-Sun Player of the Week on November 20.
• Tied for second in the nation with 50 steals.
• Eighth in the A-Sun in scoring (14.4).
• Led the team in scoring four times and rebounding a squad-best five times.
• Second in the nation with four 20-point road games.
• Team leader with 15 double-digit performances.
• Averaging 17.5 points per game in seven road games with 24 points at No. 9 Duke, 21 points at VCU, 21 points at Samford and 20 points at St. John’s.
• Highlighted by a career-high six three-pointers at No. 9 Duke, he ranks fourth in the A-Sun in three-point percentage (.371).
• Scored double figures in the second half five times, inlcuding 15 points at No. 9 Duke and at VCU, 14 at St. John’s and two other double-digit performances.
THE WAIT IS OVER
Redshirt sophomore ERIC MCKNIGHT sat out the 2011-12 after transferring to FGCU from Iowa State and is off to a strong start in the Green and Blue.
• Tied for fourth on the team in scoring (7.0) and tops in rebounding (5.4), a figure that ranks 12th in the A-Sun.
• Leads the A-Sun in total blocks (24) and is third in blocks per game (1.4).
• Team leader with 29 offensive rebounds.
• Shooting 55.8 percent, highlighted by 16 dunks.
• Led the team in rebounding four times and has reached double figures on four occasions.
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|