Thompson Lets Steals Do the Talking En Route to #ASunMBB Defensive Player Award
DUNK CITY, Fla. – FGCU will celebrate the historic 2012-13 men’s basketball season on Monday, April 15th when it hosts its postseason banquet at Alico Arena. During the 10 days leading up to the banquet, FGCUATHLETICS.com will highlight 10 accomplishments and moments of the Green and Blue’s record-setting campaign that let the nation in on the best kept secret in college athletics and created #DunkCity.
Saturday is a breakdown of sophomore Bernard Thompson’s (Conyers, Ga./Rockdale County HS) record-setting season the defensive end that saw the lengthy 6-foot-3 guard win Atlantic Sun Defensive Player of the Year honors and break the century mark for steals all while averaging 14.3 points per game.
Thompson established a new program record with 102 steals on the year, doubling the amount of all but one player in the Atlantic Sun Conference.
• Ranks second in the nation in total steals and fifth in steals per game (2.76).
• 102 steals are the second-most in A-Sun history, just two off the record.
• One of just three players in the nation with 100 or more steals.
• Had a steal in 35 of 37 games, including 26 multi-steal outings.
• Had four or more steals 12 times.
• Registered a career-high six steals twice against Stetson in the regular season.
• Steals led directly to 136 FGCU points (3.8 p7er game), including 57 of his own.
• Had streaks of 18 and 17 games, respectively, with a steal during the year.
• His 102 steals were more than American University’s team total (101).
• Has a steal in 63 of 69 career games, including 47 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• Took just 19 games to get from 100 steals to 150 for his career.
• Just 11 steals outside the top 25 all-time in the A-Sun with 159 thefts.
START THE BT SIGNAL
Highlighted by his 18 points in the final 12:53 against UNF in the A-Sun quarterfinals, Thompson put on his cape in the second half several times this year, scoring double figures in the final 20 minutes 12 times, including seven of the last 11.
• First 30 points and 38 of 41 over the three games at the A-Sun Tournament came in the second half, going 12-of-23 from the floor and 10-of-12 at the free throw line en route to 12.7 points.
• Scored 13 points in the second half against both Georgetown and SDSU in the NCAA Tournament.
• Averaged 10.2 points in the second half the last 11 games.
• Scored 8.1 of his 14.3 points in the second half.
• Had 37 percent (59 of 159) of the team’s steals in the second half.
While most players prefer the friendly confines of their home arena, Thompson, who finished ninth in the A-Sun in scoring (14.3), excels on the road. Over FGCU’s 16 true road games, Thompson averaged 16.8 points per game, 5.7 above his home (11.1) average.
• All seven of Thompson’s 20-point games came away from home, including five in true road games and two in the NCAA Tournament on a neutral court.
• Reached double figures in 15 of 16 true road games and 26 of 32 career road contests.
• Shot 51 percent (98-192) from the floor on the road.
• Had a three-pointer in 15 of 16 true road games, shooting 43 percent (32-75) from three.
• Including neutral site games, he set season-highs for every statistical category away from home.
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|