(7-9 (2-1 A-Sun))
Florida Gulf Coast
(10-6 (2-1 A-Sun))
1/5/2013 | Fort Myers, Fla. (Alico Arena) | Attendance: 1704
|Florida Gulf Coast||43||35||78|
|Stats at a Glance||JU||FGCU|
|3P FG Percentage||.167
FGCU (9-6, 1-1 A-Sun) vs. Jacksonville (7-8, 2-0 A-Sun)
Coaching Matchup: Andy Enfield (24-23; 2nd Season) vs. Cliff Warren (107-123; 8th Season)
Date: Saturday, January 5, 2013
Time: 2:00 P.M. EST
City: Fort Myers, Fla.
Site: Alico Arena (4,500)
Live Video (Free): ASUN.TV
Live Audio: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Talent: Tom James (P-B-P) & J. Webb Horton (Analyst)
Live Stats: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Twitter Hashtags: #FGCU/#ASUNMBB
Current Streak: L1
At Home: 7-0
Vs. Jacksonville/Streak: 3-7/W3
Last Meeting: FGCU 65, Jacksonville 55 - Feb. 4, 2012 - Jacksonville, Fla.
Up Next: vs. UNF - Jan. 7 • 7:30 P.M.
AT A GLANCE
Coming off a 1-1 road weekend to open Atlantic Sun play, FGCU returns to the friendly confines of Alico Arena to open its conference home slate against Jacksonville on Saturday at 2 p.m. The Eagles are a perfect 7-0 at home this season, just one win off the program Division I record for consecutive home victories. Tied for the early A-Sun lead at 2-0 with wins over Northern Kentucky and Lipscomb, Jacksonville has won three of its last four, but is just 1-6 on the road. FGCU swept the season series from the Dolphins last year, winning by an average margin of double figures behind 17.5 points per game from BERNARD THOMPSON.
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• Second in the A-Sun & 24th nationally in assists per game (5.8).
• Reached double figures in five of the last seven games; 9.7 ppg.
• Team leader in assists in 14 of 15 games and 43 of 47 for career.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• Second in the nation in total steals (47) and 4th in steals per (3.1).
• Ranks sixth in the A-Sun in scoring (14.4).
• Has reached double figures in nine straight games.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Tied for the team lead and 6th in the A-Sun in scoring (14.4).
• Tied for the team lead with 13 double figure outings.
• 23-of-51 from three-point land in last 10 games.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
• Reached double-digits in eight of the last 11 games - 12.2 ppg.
• Team leader with 30 dunks out of 60 made field goals.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• Fifth on the team in scoring (6.6) and tops in rebounding (5.3)
• A-Sun leader in total blocks (22) and tied for first per game (1.5).
• Has led the squad in rebounds a team-best four times.
FGCU FAST BREAK FACTS
• A-Sun leader with nine wins; includes a program D-1 record eight non-conference victories
• Hasn’t lost two straight games this season
• In the top 100 of the RPI, according to three media outlets
• Receiving votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll the last five weeks
• Projected to represent the A-Sun in recent NCAA Bracketology by Joe Lundardi (ESPN.com) & Jerry Palm (CBS Sports)
Behind last year’s season sweep of the Dolphins, FGCU has now taken three straight from Jacksonville. Despite the three-game streak, JU holds a 7-3 edge in the all-time series. The Eagles finally broke into the win column against the Dolphins on Feb. 24, 2011, when then-freshman CHRISTOPHE VARIDEL buried a three-pointer with 2.2 seconds remaining for the 56-55 victory.
Jacksonville enters Saturday’s contest with a 7-8 record as it has won three of its last four games and are coming off an 85-71 win over Lipscomb on Jan. 2. Led by eighth-year head coach Cliff Warren, the Dolphins were tabbed to finish seventh in the Atlantic Sun Conference Preseason Coaches’ Poll. Jacksonville returns three starters from a team that went 8-22 last season. Jacksonville is very tough when it comes down to interior defense as the Dolphins currently lead the A-Sun in blocks per game at 4.13. JU is also only allowing 58.3 points per game in its last three victories.
The Dolphins feature one of the most balanced attacks in the Atlantic Sun Conference as they have four players averaging over 8.5 points per game. Freshman guard Jarvis Haywood leads Jacksonville in scoring, putting in 11.0 points per game. Junior guard Keith McDougald is second on the squad in scoring (10.3) and first in steals per game (1.4). Junior forward Dylan Fritsch averages 9.9 points a game and he is Jacksonville’s three-point threat with 33 treys this season and is shooting just over 34 percent from beyond the arc. Senior forward Glenn Powell leads JU in rebounds per game (7.6) and blocks per game (1.1), while averaging 8.5 points a night.
FGCU IN LATEST BRACKETOLOGY
FGCU was predicted as the No. 13 seed in the East Region of the NCAA Tournament by ESPN.com’s Joe Lunardi in his Dec. 11th Bracketology. Lunardi has FGCU squaring off against No. 4 seed Gonzaga in San Jose, Calif. On Dec. 27, the Eagles were also predicted to represent the A-Sun in Jerry Palm of CBS Sports in his Bracketology. Palm has FGCU as the No. 15 seed in the East Region taking on No. 2 seed Cincinnati in Dayton, Ohio.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (9-6) are tied with No. 14 Florida (9-2), Miami (9-3), UCF (9-4) and USF (9-3) for the most victories in the state.
(Records as of Jan. 3)
Florida State: 8-4
Seven schools: Six wins or fewer
MAKE MOVES IN THE MID-MAJOR POLL
Currently in the top 100 of the RPI according to three different media outlets, FGCU has received votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll five straight weeks.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the third-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 28.8 points, 9.6 rebounds and 4.6 steals per game.
• One of two combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... both are tied for the team lead and sixth in the A-Sun in scoring at 14.4 points per game.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 12 times
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in nine of the 15 games and have been the top two scorers on seven occasions.
• Combine to average 33.9 points on the road
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 29.7 pgg
Craig/Rodgers (USC Upstate) - 29.1 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 28.8 ppg
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 28.3 ppg
Cummings/Love (Kennesaw St.) - 27.3 ppg
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON registered 57 steals as a freshman in 2011-12 - good for third in the A-Sun and fifth-best in program single-season history - and is on pace to shatter that total and the program record this season.
• Second in the nation in total steals with 47.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks fourth in the nation in steals per game (3.13)
• Had a career-high of five steals at No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD.
• Current streak of 15 games with a steal, including four or more six times.
• Has a steal in 43 of 47 career games, including 33 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in his 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 47 steals have led directly to 55 FGCU points (3.7 per game), including 19 of his own.
FGCU leads the A-Sun in three statistical categories: scoring offense (70.9), field goal percentage (.462) and steals (9.75). Individually, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON is tops in steals (3.1) and ERIC MCKNIGHT leads the way in total blocks (22/1.5).
FGCU is 7-0 at Alico Arena this season and 16-5 all-time at home under second-year head coach Andy Enfield.
• Seven-game home win streak is the second-longest in Division I history, just behind the eight-game streak in 2008-09.
• Out-scoring opponents by 13.7 points per game and limiting the opposition to 57.4 points per contest.
• Forcing 18.0 turnovers per game, leading to 10.7 steals.
• Dominating inside, out-scoring opponents 280-142 in the paint, good for a 19.7 per game difference.
• Defeated ACC foe Miami in the home opener, limiting the Canes to just 29 percent (16-55) shooting.
Below is a breakdown of FGCU’s individual dunk leaders ...
30- Chase Fieler
15 - Eric McKnight
7 - Eddie Murray
7 - Sherwood Brown
5 - Leonard Livingston
4 - Bernard Thompson