|News » Archives|
FGCU Drops Spring Dual Match Opener at No. 32 Florida State
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Playing with just five healthy players, the FGCU men’s tennis team opened its 2013 dual match season with a 7-0 loss at No. 32 Florida State on Saturday afternoon.
The Eagles, who were playing without projected No. 1 singles player sophomore Jordi Vives (Barcelona, Spain/IES Ferran Tallada/USC), will look to bounce back on Sunday when they take on UAB at 10 a.m. Due to having five active players, FGCU had to give up a singles point and one of the doubles matches.
“Today was a tough day for us. FSU has a very good squad and it was really tough for us to play to their level,” said head coach C.J. Weber. “We look forward to the opportunity to rebound against UAB on Sunday.”
Junior Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS), who was coming off a Flight B Doubles title at the FGCU Spring Invite with Lance Lvovsky (Dania, Fla./ Broward Virtual School/Jacksonville), dropped a hard-fought singles match at the No. 2 spot. Tsamas took the first set from Jordan Kelly-Houston, 6-3, but dropped the final two, 1-6 and 2-6.
FSU’s Benjamin Lock entered the spring ranked No. 99 individually, while Dominic Cotrone is No. 107. Lock fought-off sophomore Tianyu Bao (Tianjin, China/Bayshore HS (FL)), 6-4, 6-3 at No. 1, while Lvovsky fell at No. 3 to Cotrone.
Fans can get updates on FGCU men’s tennis on twitter by following @FGCUMensTennis.
No. 32 Florida State 7, FGCU 0
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 5, 2, 6
1. No. 99 Benjamin Lock (FSU) def. Tianyu Bao (FGCU) – 6-4, 6-3
2. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) – 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. No. 107 Dominic Cotrone (FSU) def. Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) – 6-0, 6-4
4. Anderson Reed (FSU) def. Michael Beiler (FGCU) – 6-3, 6-3
5. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) def. Gabe Echeverry (FGCU) – 6-4, 6-2
6. Joao Gauer (FSU) – win by default
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. No. 27 Bucaro/Lock (FSU) def. Lvovsky/Tsamas (FGCU) – 8-1
2. Davis/C. Gonzalez (FSU) def. Bao/Beiler (FGCU) – 8-7 (7-4)
3. FSU won by default