ORLANDO, Fla. – The FGCU men’s tennis team jumped out to a 2-0 lead, but couldn’t fight off four straight UCF singles victories as it opened its weekend in Orlando with a 4-3 loss to the Knights on Friday afternoon at the UCF Tennis Complex.
The loss slips the Green and Blue’s record to 2-4 on the young season, as they now turn their attention to BIG EAST foe UConn for an 11 a.m. match on Saturday. UCF evens its record at 4-4 with the win.
FGCU took the doubles point by winning the top two spots. Sophomore Jordi Vives (Barcelona, Spain/IES Ferran Tallada/USC) and senior Jackson Moore (Bradenton, Fla./Lakewood Ranch HS/Georgia State) turned in a convincing 8-3 victory at No. 1 doubles, while sophomores Tianyu Bao (Tianjin, China/Bayshore HS-FL) and Michael Beiler (Palm Harbor, Fla./Dunedin HS) clinched the point with an 8-4 triumph at the No. 2 spot.
Junior Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) made it 2-0 in favor of the Eagles when his match with Jose Sangroniz was the first to finish. Tsamas quickly took care of Sangroniz, 6-2 and 6-3, for his team-leading fourth win of the spring.
The Knights took their first lead of the match by winning three consecutive matches in straight sets, leaving the top players from each team still on the court. The game-deciding point came in the No. 2 spot where Bao convincingly took the first set, 6-1, but UCF’s Amar Hromic rallied with back-to-back 6-3 wins.
Vives capped a perfect night at the top singles spot, overcoming a first set loss for a 5-7, 6-1, 6-4 win over Jorge Blasco.
UCF 4, FGCU 3
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 6, 5, 2, 1
1. Jordi Vives (FGCU) def. Jorge Blasco (UCF) – 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
2. Amar Hromic (UCF) def. Tianyu Bao (FGCU) – 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. Jose Sangroniz (UCF) – 6-2, 6-3
4. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) def. Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) – 6-3, 6-2
5. Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Jackson Moore (FGCU) – 6-4, 7-5
6. Juan Bolona (UCF) def. Michael Beiler (FGCU) – 6-4, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Vives/Moore (FGCU) def. Hromic/Bolona (UCF) – 8-3
2. Bao/Beiler (FGCU) def. Gladstone/Blasco (UCF) – 8-4
3. Aulina/Samson (UCF) def. Lvovsky/Tsamas (FGCU) – 8-5