|News » Archives|
@FGCU_MBB Ready for Critical #ASunMBB Showdown with First Place Mercer
|Florida Gulf Coast||27||33||60|
|Stats at a Glance||MER||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.435 (20-46)||.408 (20-49)|
|3P FG Percentage||.250 (5-20)||.235 (4-17)|
|FT Percentage||.923 (12-13)||.727 (16-22)|
COURSEY - 14
THOMAS - 2
Mercer (20-9, 13-3 A-Sun) at FGCU (19-10, 11-5 A-Sun)
Date: Thursday, February 28, 2013
Time: 7:30 P.M. EST
City: Fort Myers, Fla.
Site: Alico Arena (4,500)
TV: FGCUATHLETICS.com & CollegeInsider.com
Live Audio: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Talent: David Moulton (P-B-P) & J. Webb Horton (Analyst)
Live Stats: www.FGCUATHLETICS.com
Hashtags: #MUvsFGCU | #ASUNMBB | #WeAreFGCU
Current Streak: L2
Last 5: 3-2
Last 10: 7-3
At Home/A-Sun/Streak: 13-1 | 6-1 | W4
Vs. Mercer/Home/Streak: 2-10 | 1-4 | L1
Last Meeting: Mercer 77, FGCU 70 – OT - January 2, 2013 - Macon, Ga.
AT A GLANCE
Sitting two games out of first place with two games remaining, FGCU will get a chance to gain a game on first place Mercer when it hosts the Bears in a critical Atlantic Sun contest Thursday night at Alico Arena. The Eagles are currently in second place at 11-5 and will look to snap a six-game regular season losing skid to Mercer. Alico Arena might be just what FGCU needs, as it owns a 13-1 record on its home court this year. With the start of the A-Sun Tournament just a week away, FGCU can be as high as the No. 1 seed and as low as the No. 3 seed.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 34-27 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 19-15 (2nd Season)
Head Coach: Bob Hoffman (Oklahoma Baptist ‘79)
Record at Mercer: 95-70 (5th Season)
Career Record: 495-240 (22nd Season)
A-Sun Record: 57-36 (5th Season)
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• A-Sun leader and 12th in the nation in assists per game (6.5).
• Third in the A-Sun in steals (1.6).
• A-Sun active leader with nine double figure assist games.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• FGCU single-season record 82 steals rank 11th in A-Sun history.
• Tied for third in the nation total steals (82) & sixth per (2.83).
• Averaging 20.0 points the last three games.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Top 10 in the A-Sun in scoring (15.8/5th) & rebounding (6.4/8th).
• First player in FGCU history with 1000 points and 500 rebounds.
• Team leader with seven 20-point games, including five in A-Sun.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 47 dunks.
• Averaging career-bests of 11.8 points and 5.3 rebounds.
• Reached double figures in 13 of 16 A-Sun games.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• Third in the A-Sun in total blocks (37) and third per game (1.3).
• Sports a 68 percent field goal percentage (42-62) in A-Sun play.
• Second on the team with 30 dunks.
@FGCU_MBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• Currently in sole possession of second place in the A-Sun (11-5).
• Clinched an A-Sun Tournament berth with its win over ETSU.
• Second in the A-Sun with 19 wins; a program D1 record.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (73.3), field goal percentage (.464), steals (8.8) and three-point def. (.315).
• Had a program D1-best seven-game win streak over the last three games of January and first three of February.
• Haven’t allowed more than 30 points in 7 of the last 10 halves.
• Haven’t trialed in nine games on the year.
• Scored 70+ points in 13 of the last 15 games.
• Held a double figure lead in 13 of 16 A-Sun contests.
• A perfect 10-0 when holding opponents under 60 points and 8-1 when shooting 50 percent or better.
• As a team, FGCU has 118 dunks on the season.
• 13-1 at Alico Arena this season; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
• 34 wins under head coach ANDY ENFIELD in the last two seasons compared to 39 in the previous four campaigns.
• FGCU is 13-1 at Alico Arena this season and 21-6 all-time at home under second-year head coach ANDY ENFIELD.
• Nine-game home win streak to start the year was the longest in the program’s Division I history.
• Led from start to finish 8 of 14 games.
• Out-scoring opponents by 15.1 points per game
• Forcing 17.1 turnovers per game, leading to 10.1 steals.
• Dominating inside, out-scoring opponents 538-298 in the paint, good for a 17.1 per game difference.
• Shooting 47.8 percent while limiting opponents to 36.3 percent.
• Defeated current ACC leader Miami in the home opener, limiting the Canes to just 29 percent (16-55) shooting.
• Led at the half in 13 of 14 games.
• Trailed by double figures at home three times, winning two of those contests - Miami and Toledo.
Having already clinched at least a share of the Atlantic Sun regular season crown, Mercer has won 20 games for the second straight season for the first time in program history. The Bears, who own a two-game leading over FGCU in the A-Sun race at 13-3, have won eight straight games entering Thursday night. Mercer has gotten stronger as the win streak has gone on, taking each of the last five contests by double figures and an average of 18.0 points. The top defensive team in the A-Sun and 15th in the nation in scoring defense (57.0), Mercer has limited six teams to less than 60 points, including three under 50, during the eight-game win streak. The Bears are 20-2 when they score 60+ points and have started the same five in 24 consecutive contests.
Leading scorer Travis Smith poured in 21 points in the Jan. 2nd meeting against FGCU, as he leads the team at 13.3 points per night. Two of Smith’s four 20-point games have come in A-Sun action where he is averaging 15.7 points. A-Sun All-Conference point guard Langston Hall is the only other player in double figures at 10.7 points and adds 4.4 assists per game. Mercer is 11-1 when both Smith and Hall reach double figures.
ALL-TIME AGAINST MERCER
Mercer prevailed in overtime, 77-70, on Jan. 2nd in Macon, Ga. to extend its regular season win streak against the Eagles to five games. The Bears hold a 10-2 lead in the all-time series and are 4-1 at Alico Arena.
SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE
Thursday night’s game pins FGCU’s A-Sun-leading scoring offense (73.4) against Mercer’s top-ranked league scoring defense (57.0). The Eagles have scored 70+ points in 13 of 16 A-Sun contests, while Mercer has allowed just five teams to reach the 70-point plateau. The Eagles lead the A-Sun in field goal percentage (.464), while the Bears lead the league in field goal percentage defense (.388).
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (19-10) trail only No. 5 Miami (22-4) and No. 6 Florida (22-5) for the most wins. FGCU is 7-0 against Division I teams from Florida, including one of Miami’s three losses.
(Records through Feb. 26)
Nine schools: 15 wins or fewer
MAKING HIS CASE
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN is putting together league MVP-type numbers while helping FGCU vault into first place.
• Only player in the top 5 in scoring (17.3/3rd) and rebounding (7.7/4th) in A-Sun action.
• Reached double figures in a team-best 25 contests, including seven 20-point outings.
• One of three players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.8/5th) and rebounding (6.4/8th).
• First player in program history and fourth current A-Sun player to reach 1,000 points and 500 rebounds.
• First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles.
• Averaging 16.1 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 20 of last 21 true road games.
• FGCU is 10-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor more than once - has done so three times.
• Four-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 82 steals are a new program single-season record and are just six off the combined total (88) from teammates BRETT COMER and SHERWOOD BROWN, who rank third and fourth in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Tied for third in the nation in total steals with 82.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks sixth in the nation in steals per game (2.83).
• 82 steals are tied for the 11th-most in A-Sun history.
• Has twice registered a career-high six steals against Stetson this season and five thefts four other times.
• Has four or more 10 nine times this year.
• Has a steal in 56 of 61 career games, including 42 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 82 steals have led directly to 109 FGCU points (3.8 per game), including 40 of his own.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Tops in the A-Sun and 12th in the nation in assists (6.5).
• Seeking to become the fourth player in A-Sun history to lead the league in assists two straight years.
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with five games of 10 or more assists.
• A-Sun career active leader with nine double-digit games.
• 189 assists are tied for 12th in A-Sun single-season history and he’s seven away from the top 10.
• Ranks fifth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.8).
• Second all-time in FGCU history with 367 assists.
• Third in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.6).
• Has an assist on 50 of the team’s 118 dunks.
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ratio in 18 of the last 20 contests.
• Scored in double figures 11 times.
IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF
Thanks to his last two seasons under head coach ANDY ENFIELD, senior SHERWOOD BROWN has become the first player in program history to accumulate 1,000 points and 500 rebounds. There are three other active players in the A-Sun who have accomplished the feat: Torrey Craig (USC Upstate), Markeith Cummings (Kennesaw State) and Andy Diaz (UNF). He is currently second all-time in both points and rebounds, sitting 37 caroms short of Adam Liddell’s record of 570.
FGCU swept the weekly A-Sun awards handed out on Feb. 12, as senior SHERWOOD BROWN earned his third Player of the Week honor and redshirt sophomore ERIC MCKNIGHT took home his third Newcomer of the Week accolade. It marked the second time this season that the Green and Blue have swept the awards, as BERNARD THOMPSON and McKnight did so on Nov. 20th. No other A-Sun player has been named Player of the Week more than once, while Brown has taken the honor three times.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN became the first player in program’s 11-year history to post four consecutive double-doubles from Jan. 10-19. Playing four A-Sun games at USC Upstate, at ETSU, vs. Lipscomb and vs. Northern Kentucky, Brown averaged 20.0 points and 10.5 rebounds over that span.
STEALIN THE SHOW
Armed with length and athleticism - traits important to head coach ANDY ENFIELD’S defensive scheme - FGCU leads the A-Sun and ranks 25th in the nation at 8.8 steals per contest.
• The Eagles have posted double-digit steals in 13 games this season, going 10-3 in those outings.
• Led by sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 82 steals that are the third-most in the country, three FGCU players rank in the top 5 in the A-Sun in thefts per game.
• In 61 games under Enfield, FGCU has eclipsed 500 steals with 532.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the third-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 30.0 points, 10.7 rebounds and 4.3 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Brown is fifth at 15.8 points per game, while Thompson is 10th at 14.2 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 20 times.
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 19 of the 29 games and have been the top two scorers 10 times.
• Combine to average 33.3 points on the road.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 31.0 ppg
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 30.7 pgg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 30.0 ppg
Jones/Wilson (ETSU) - 29.7 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 29.3 ppg
FGCU leads the A-Sun in five statistical categories: scoring offense (73.3), field goal percentage (.464), three-point defense (.315) and steals (8.8). Sophomore BRETT COMER leads the league in assists (6.5), while classmate BERNARD THOMPSON is tops in steals (2.83). In conference only action, FGCU leads the A-Sun in scoring (75.1), steals (8.0) and blocks (4.5), while Thompson is tops in steals (2.6).
THE GREAT CHASE
Forward CHASE FIELER has elevated his game in each of his three seasons and is having a breakout junior campaign. Fieler is posting career-high numbers across the board, ranking in the top three on the squad in scoring, rebounding and blocks.
• Team leader with 47 dunks.
• Has led the team in scoring nine times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (11.8) and second in rebounding (5.3) - figures that rank 17th and 14th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Reached double figures 21 times after doing so just 15 times during his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
• Scored in double figures in 13 of 16 A-Sun games.
• Second in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.3 per game.
• Team leader with 62 offensive rebounds.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
• Turned in the No. 3 highlight on the Jan. 25th Sports Center Top 10 Plays with a put-back dunk against Stetson.
FGCU’s up-tempo style has yielded plenty of highlight-reel dunks out of the team’s 118 jams this season. Last Friday at Stetson, senior EDDIE MURRAY found his way onto SportCenter’s Top 10 Plays that night with a put-back dunk. Murray’s dunk earned the No. 9 spot on the Top 10 and was the second FGCU throwdown to make the Top 10 this year. Junior CHASE FIELER, who leads the team with 47 dunks, made SportCenter’s Top 10 at No. 3 with a jam at home against the Hatters on Jan. 25.
Breakdown of FGCU’s individual dunk leaders ... the Eagles have 118 dunks.
47 - Chase Fieler
30 - Eric McKnight
15 - Eddie Murray
10 - Sherwood Brown
9 - Bernard Thompson
6 - Leonard Livingston
1 - Brett Comer