Softball Hosts Long Island
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The FGCU softball team will host Long Island for a double-header Tuesday night.
The Eagles have a 33-7 overall record, including 17-2 in home games.
Senior Carmen Paez (Belle Glade, Fla.) has a team-best .420 batting average and a 1.010 slugging percentage. She leads the conference with 16 homeruns and 47 RBI's. Paez also leads the A-Sun in runs scored and total bases.
The Eagles solid pitching staff is led by senior Rachael Edinger (Lakeland, Fla.) Edinger, who leads FGCU with 128 strikouts, is 15-3 with an ERA of 1.63 and has pitched eight shutouts this season. Junior Dana Frantz (Brighton, Mich.) is 8-3 with a 2.70 ERA and has walked a team-low 11 batters this season. Freshman Morgan Campen (Roungemont, N.C.) is 10-1 with a team-best 1.17 ERA. Campen has pitched four shutouts for the Eagles.
* Florida Gulf Coast's Carmen Paez is on track to etch her name in the Atlantic Sun record books with one of the greatest seasons in conference history. The senior outfielder currently leads the conference in home runs (16), RBI (47), total bases (99), walks (43), on-base percentage (.589) and slugging percentage (.990). With 24 games remaining on FGCU's schedule, Paez is currently on pace to hit 25 home runs, one shy of the A-Sun single season record of 26 currently held by Stephanie Best (UCF, 2005). She is also on pace to drive in 75 runs and score 75 of her own, which would shatter the single season marks in those categories. Best also holds the current record for RBI with 66 in 2003 and Denelle Hicks scored 65 runs for Campbell in 1995.
* The Eagles finished the week 5-1 to improve their season record to 33-7. As a team the Eagles hit .250 (39-for-156) with four doubles, one triple and four homeruns in the six games.
* The Eagles have now won 31 of their last 35 games (have won 16 of their last 17).
* Senior Carmen Paez continues to make opposing pitchers pay. During the Eagles six games last week, Paez hit .231 with two long balls and three RBI. Paez leads the conference with 16 home runs.
* Junior Cheyenne Jenks played solid for the Eagles last week. In the Eagles six games, Jenks hit. 533 with a 1.067 slugging percentage. She had eight hits, including two doubles and two homeruns. Jenks also had seven RBI's on the week.
* Freshman pitcher Morgan Campen had a perfect week in the circle picking up wins against Tennessee-Chattanooga, Appalachian State, and East Tennessee State. Campen is now 10-1 on the season with a 1.17 ERA.
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|