Softball Hosts a Pair of A-Sun Foes this Weekend
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The FGCU softball team will host A-Sun foes, Kennesaw State and Mercer, for double-header action this weekend.
The Eagles have a 40-10 overall record, including 20-3 in home games and a perfect 8-0 record in conference competition.
Senior Carmen Paez (Belle Glade, Fla.) has a team-best .411 batting average and a 1.008 slugging percentage. She leads the nation with 21 homeruns and 56 RBI's. Paez also leads the A-Sun in runs scored and total bases.
The Eagles solid pitching staff is led by senior Rachael Edinger (Lakeland, Fla.) Edinger, who leads FGCU with 146 strikouts, is 18-5 with an ERA of 1.75 and has pitched eight shutouts this season. Junior Dana Frantz (Brighton, Mich.) is 10-3 with a 3.52 ERA and has walked a team-low 13 batters this season. Freshman Morgan Campen (Roungemont, N.C.) is 12-2 with a team-best 1.99 ERA. Campen has pitched four shutouts for the Eagles.
OPPONENT - Kennesaw State (DH) - April 4 - 4pm
Scouting Kennesaw State
- The Owls come into the important A-Sun showdown with FGCU as winners of four straight and six of the last seven. Kennesaw State swept both Jacksonville and North Florida last weekend at Bailey Park to move to 5-1 in the league.
- The offense has rebounded a bit for the Owls in recent games. In their previous six contests to last weekend’s sweeps, the Black and Gold bats were hitting at just a .188 clip. In the JU and UNF series, the Black and Gold hits .258 with a homer and 10 RBI. Freshman Lyndsay McCurry led the Owls last weekend, going 5-for-12 (.417) with a pair of runs batted in against the Dolphins and Lady Ospreys.
- Freshman Jessica Cross has done a ton for KSU in her first season in an Owls uniform. In addition to hitting .311 with a team-high eight homers and 28 RBI, the Tunnel Hill, Ga. product has been quite effective in the circle for head coach Scott Whitlock. Cross will bring a 0.67 ERA and a record of 4-1 into Friday’s showdown. She has yet to allow a triple or a homer in 52.0 innings pitched.
OPPONENT - Mercer (DH) - April 6- 1pm
*A-Sun Game of the Week *
- Last Time Out: The Bears earned their first conference doubleheader sweep of the season, taking victories over Campbell, 1-0 and 8-6. In the first game, Jenni Holtz and Brittany Stanley battled it out in a nineinning pitchers’ duel
- Stellar Week: Freshman Jenni Holtz was awarded A-Sun Pitcher of the Week honors March 24 after she tossed a no-hitter in the championship game of the Mercer Easter Classic against reigning Ivy League champion Harvard. The southpaw threw eight innings and struck out seven batters in her second shutout of the season. The day before, Holtz fanned a season-high 14 batters in six no-run innings against Birmingham-Southern.
- Crazy Eight: Junior Page Raynor is currently on an eight-game hitting streak, her longest of the season. The feat dates back to March 15 when the Bears played against A-Sun opponent North Florida.
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|