Eagles Host Final Home Games This Weekend
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The FGCU softball team will host A-Sun foes, North Florida and Jacksonville, for double-header action this weekend.
The Eagles have a 45-13 overall record, including 23-4 in home games and a 13-3 record in conference competition.
Senior Carmen Paez (Belle Glade, Fla.) has a team-best .438 batting average and a .966 slugging percentage. She leads the nation with 22 homeruns. Paez also leads the A-Sun in runs scored and total bases.
The Eagles solid pitching staff is led by senior Rachael Edinger (Lakeland, Fla.) Edinger, who leads FGCU with 162 strikouts, is 19-7 with an ERA of 2.31and has pitched eight shutouts this season. Junior Dana Frantz (Brighton, Mich.) is 11-3 with a 3.05 ERA and has walked a team-low 13 batters this season. Freshman Morgan Campen (Roungemont, N.C.) is 15-3 with a 2.49 ERA. Campen has pitched four shutouts for the Eagles.
OPPONENT - North Florida (DH) - April 18 - 5pm
Scouting North Florida
- The University of North Florida softball team finished the week 3-1, capturing a pair of wins against cross-town rival Jacksonville in a SunTrust River City Rumble matchup before splitting a doubleheader at Bethune-Cookman
- UNF made the journey to Buies Creek, N.C., over the weekend but came back after less than a half inning of play, succumbing to rains that washed out play for the day. UNF left little doubt about the outcome in its matchups with JU, winning the first game of a doubleheader 7-0 before taking the second game 9-1
- Ashley Battaglia - who hit .429 on the week - had a pair of hits in each game, while Devyn Findley threw a complete-game shutout in the opener before pitching an inning of scoreless relief in the second game
- Kara Rutenbar set offensive pace against Bethune-Cookman, opening the doubleheader with a 4-for-4 performance that included four runs and a pair of doubles
- Rutenbar was among a group of five players that hit better than .300 for the Lady Ospreys this week. UNF now has 10 wins in conference play this season, marking the first time in its three-year league membership the team has reached double-digit wins in conference play with its three wins last week, the team also guarantees its second-straight winning season on the NCAA Division I level
OPPONENT - Jacksonville (DH) - April 20 - 2pm
- The JU softball team dropped all four of their games last week. Freshman shortstop Katie Kelly continues to swing the bat well, batting .364 over the week, while sophomore pitcher Ashley Iveson recorded nine strikeouts, the second highest total of her career, in the loss to Campbell.
- Senior outfielder Jillian Mirante is now three hits away from tying the school's all-time record in hits. Janine Palombo currently holds the record with 185 hits as a Dolphin.
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|